• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2013 - 2014 Season

Capgeek.com reports that Tampa Bay also retained 1.6M X 2 years of Gagner's salary. If true, absolutely horrible trade by Yzerman no matter who they pick up with that "cap space".

They end up having $5.6M more than they did 24 hours ago.

Apparently the original deal was going to be Purcell for Gagner & then to buy out Gagner, but Phoenix called to get him. The $ Tampa is holding on from the Gagner deal is the same had they bought him out, but they get to ship a fourth line plug out at the same time.

It's still terrible asset management by Tampa because they signed Purcell only a year ago and now they are dumping him for practically zero assets AND retaining 1.6M salary for the next two years. This is all on Yzerman.

I'm sure this will make sense Tuesday when TB signs the player they've likely already locked up

Like Hair said they seem to be needing dmen...maybe they have a deal in place with boyle

Also, yes "cap space" is a luxury but no it should never be bought for a premium. It's like paying 120$ to get 100$. Only reason you buy cap space is if you're GM of New York and you can afford to flip assets in a flash because there are 10 players lined up to take his place at any given time.

The rest of GMs have no excuse to flip assets in that manner. If Steve signed Percell, he it owes to his organisation to generate the most value for his player should he decide to part with him (i.e. timing the trade). He hasn't done that. He got rid of him at a moment someone else became available, which is a sign of desperate rookie GM. He already screwed up with St Louis and now he set his franchise 1.6M further down with the Purcell dump.

Bad, bad move. I am so happy we never hired him as a GM.

I can understand making moves to clear cap space but you still try to maximize value with assets you move to clear that cap space

That's why this is a head scratcher...you'd think Stevie Y would want more than a 6th rounder to show for Purcel

I think we would all be disappointed if MB just got a 6th rounder for Gorges even if he clears some 4 mil in cap space

I can understand making moves to clear cap space but you still try to maximize value with assets you move to clear that cap space

That's why this is a head scratcher...you'd think Stevie Y would want more than a 6th rounder to show for Purcel

I think we would all be disappointed if MB just got a 6th rounder for Gorges even if he clears some 4 mil in cap space

Remember that he signed Purcell to a new deal only last year. Now he pays a premium to get rid of a player he himself signed. So stupid.

Probably wasn't offered in the East but I would have taken Gagner at that price, even given up a fourth instead of sixth, and shipped Plekanec out.

Especially by retaining some of Gagner's salary, you think they could have just eaten maybe 500k or 1M from Purcell, and teams at that point would likely have given them something of value. Purcell at 3.5M would easily be worth a 3rd round pick from someone.

Probably wasn't offered in the East but I would have taken Gagner at that price, even given up a fourth instead of sixth, and shipped Plekanec out.

Gagner is pretty much DD clone.

Both guys will hover around 15 to 20 goals and get about 40 assists

I laugh at some on twitter who now believe Yzerman did these moves to be able to sign Subban to an offer sheet.

The Lightning also traded Nate Thompson to the Ducks for a fourth- and seventh-round pick in 2015.

#TBLightning RFAs already signed (Johnson, Palat, Killorn, Barberio), offers to Connolly, Panik, not qualifying Lindback. Waiting on others

What a fall for Lindback.

Back