• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2014 - 2015 Season

NHLPA
After throwing the 1st pitch in Anaheim recently, @Ryan_Kesler is eager to show @AnaheimDucks fans his on-ice skills

Supposed to be a boy wonder - like Paul DePodesta...

Yup.

He's probably going to be the mold of future general managers. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he becomes a GM in the next 5 years.

Yup.

He's probably going to be the mold of future general managers. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he becomes a GM in the next 5 years.

better than hiring retreads that have no vision , or old clowns who will only hire their cronies , solid move and I hate the Laffs

better than hiring retreads that have no vision , or old clowns who will only hire their cronies , solid move and I hate the Laffs

give him a few years and he is a retread crony as well.

again the all encompassing fear of the Leafs raises its head.

If we hired someone like that there would cries that again we hired someone with no experience and why is a franchise like ours always giving someone his first job at the GM table etc

I don't get how you can preach change in philosophy and culture if you keep the same GM and coach?

Leafs needed to get rid of Nonis and Carlyle and go from there

I don't get how you can preach change in philosophy and culture if you keep the same GM and coach?

I completely agree.

Only thing that makes sense to me is if Shanahan just intended to let the chips fall where they may this year and likely get another top 10 pick. Then can Nonis and Carlyle next summer. I would've done it right away personally but perhaps he sees someone out there that might not be available til next summer. We've been hearing he didn't intend to let go Loiselle or Poulin til next summer but Dubas was about to be hired by another team.

It's interesting how Babcock may be available for the Leafs after this year. I am sure Shanahan could entice Mike that way with a mega offer.

I completely agree.

Only thing that makes sense to me is if Shanahan just intended to let the chips fall where they may this year and likely get another top 10 pick. Then can Nonis and Carlyle next summer. I would've done it right away personally but perhaps he sees someone out there that might not be available til next summer. We've been hearing he didn't intend to let go Loiselle or Poulin til next summer but Dubas was about to be hired by another team.

I still don't understand why you give Carlyle an extension, though. Sure, it's nice to try to quiet the media talking about a lame duck coach, but I can't imagine anyone in a front office would give up how many million just to possibly appease the media? Especially since it seems like it has such a huge potential to backfire.

I still don't understand why you give Carlyle an extension, though. Sure, it's nice to try to quiet the media talking about a lame duck coach, but I can't imagine anyone in a front office would give up how many million just to possibly appease the media? Especially since it seems like it has such a huge potential to backfire.

Hey, you're totally preaching to the choir on that one. And I don't buy the lame duck coach reasonin - it's not like the Toronto media/fans won't be talking about firing him as soon as they shit the bed again anyway, lame duck or not. I wouldn't keep a guy I didn't have faith in and if you have to tell your coach to overhaul your system, I think that faith is gone.

But like I said, maybe they're ok with another top 10 pick and Randy looks bad rather than his shiny new coaching choice.

The first step should be the players actually strapping their helmets on and making sure they stay on.

The NHL should adopt the international ice hockey rule that if you lose your helmet, you have to get off the ice & change.

Last edited:

He never said he's keeping them, he's just giving them a chance to show what they can do - both Nonis & Carlyle have lost their comfort zones, the former lost his Assistant GMs, and the latter lost his longtime assistant coach, as Shanahan has put "his people" in both spots. Gainey did the same thing offering up an extension to Julien, the kiss of death, not if but when...

I think Dubas was brought in to get his feet wet as Assistant GM, but takeover the GM role fairly quickly should Shanny feel the need for change. If the Leafs have a slow start, I can see both Nonis & Carlyle getting canned.

give him a few years and he is a retread crony as well.

again the all encompassing fear of the Leafs raises its head.

If we hired someone like that there would cries that again we hired someone with no experience and why is a franchise like ours always giving someone his first job at the GM table etc

The leafs are giving the fans something to talk about. No news isn't good news in leaf land.

Saying that, it will be interesting to see how the kid makes out. Believe he did a good job in the soo.

Anyone else think that it's beyond weird that in the more than 3 years that Kevin Cheveldayoff has been the Jets GM he has yet to trade a single Jets roster player for a roster player from another NHL team? What does this guy do all day? MB would be getting hammered from all sides in Montreal if that was him.

Anyone else think that it's beyond weird that in the more than 3 years that Kevin Cheveldayoff has been the Jets GM he has yet to trade a single Jets roster player for a roster player from another NHL team? What does this guy do all day? MB would be getting hammered from all sides in Montreal if that was him.

That is strange. If they fail to make the playoff's this season he will be fired.

"We're rebuilding through the draft" usually buys 3-yrs. I think he'll make a few trades, his job is on the line, this being yr-4...

Back