• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2014 - 2015 Season

I hope they can a strong replacement. Based on 24CH Gallant was the communicator.

Get the feeling it might be Scott Mellanby - especially after Marty Lapointe came out and said he doesn't want to relocate his family from Chicago.

Get the feeling it might be Scott Mellanby - especially after Marty Lapointe came out and said he doesn't want to relocate his family from Chicago.

According to our "usual suspects" it's between him and P. Vincent.

I doubt it. If there's a relocation, best bet would be to Seattle to make it 15 teams in the East & 15 in the West.

If it was all about the best city possible, it's Quebec hands down.

Expansion is coming eventually to probably make 32 teams, so if I could dream a little... Move Florida to Quebec, expand in Seattle and one of Kansas City/Las Vegas/Houston/Portland.

I didn't start cheering for the Panthers when they came into the league. I doubt Waz does. He'll probably follow the team because of news but cheer? No way!

Bettman has to do something to even out the conferences as it is presently unfair to the eastern teams as they have a lower chance of making the post season.

if you stink you have no shot of making it in either division , 8/14 or 8/16 teams , 90 points is a required minimum , that extra team in the east isnt going to make much difference .

I think the only way QC gets a team is through expansion not relocation.

Seattle and Las Vegas are high on the Bettman want list. Seattle for natural reasons such as location on the west coast and city that has some hockey support. Vegas because MGM/Mirage isalready building a 20,000 seat arena next to NY NY Hotel and is pushing hard for the NBA and/or the NHL.

I still believe a 2nd team in Southern Ontario is also viable for expansion. The NHL seems confident it can put a team there without much chance of a legal fight from the Maple Leafs as they had this checked out during the Balsillie battle over the Coyotes.

I've also heard that QC's popularity for a franchise has waned over the past year or two. Even though they are building an arena there is still concern over the corporate support they can receive. We all know the separatist media giant... the guy who got himself elected to a losing party... wants everything given to him regarding hockey in QC before he throws his network at the new Nordiques. Add the fall in the dollar and you have a tempered market.

Still we all know Bettman hates to move his US franchises so Florida would be given a lot more support likely before they have no other choice but to move.

Jerry Bruckheimer has wanted an NHL team in Las Vegas for a very long time. He's got the coin and he's a big hockey fan (from Detroit). If that arena gets done then I can see him partnering up with other Hollywood or Las Vegas types to get it done.

Would you start cheering for Seattle?

Sure, Montreal would always be number one of course but I don't have a problem supporting another team in the Western Conference. Now if they would be in the Eastern Conference it would be more difficult.

Back