• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2014 - 2015 Season

I didn't start cheering for the Panthers when they came into the league. I doubt Waz does. He'll probably follow the team because of news but cheer? No way!

I would follow them and want them to win every games but against the Habs. Being in another conference, they're not really in competition against each other except for the Stanley Cup finals.

I would follow them and want them to win every games but against the Habs. Being in another conference, they're not really in competition against each other except for the Stanley Cup finals.

a servant cannot serve two masters

Mmm, never thought of it that way.

Maybe he will let you serve that blonde he posted a pic of a few months ago?

Quebec will get a team. PKP runs TVA which now has the French language rights to hockey piggybacking on the Sportsnet deal.ss Having his own team to provide even more content which would be of interest to Quebec customers makes so much sense even PKP's brain can grasp the concept. And the arena is already halfway to completion.

I'd love to see a team in Seattle but they aren't as far along. First and foremost, there is no suitable venue for a team to play in while a new arena is built. Key Arena is a basketball facility and to shoehorn a hockey rink in there requires that a lot of seating is lost (think America West Arena where the Yotes played before moving to Glendale) A team could move to Quebec tomorrow and get by at le Colisee until the new barn is finished. Also, the deal in place with the city of Seattle to build a new arena is contingent upon the proposed ownership group landing an NBA franchise. The deal is that not one shovel goes into the ground unless or until that basketball franchise is secured. Getting an NHL team by itself would not get the arena built or even started. So until the NBA adds or moves a team to Seattle nothing else is going to happen. Besides which, the would-be owners of the Seattle NBA team have already stated they do not want to also own a hockey team. So some other ownership group dedicated to bringing the NHL there will have to emerge and unless they're willing to spend their own money to build an arena they'll have to wait for the NBA guys to get theirs built first. And once it gets built, the NHL team will just be a tenant paying rent. They won't get squat in terms of arena revenues like the owners of the NBA team will.

I'm sure all these things could be worked out over time but right now it only makes business sense to move a team (if you're moving one) to Quebec.

Yeah Seattle needs an NBA team before anything else can happens, and this plan took a step back with Ballmer buying the Clippers.

Quebec will get a team. PKP runs TVA which now has the French language rights to hockey piggybacking on the Sportsnet deal.ss Having his own team to provide even more content which would be of interest to Quebec customers makes so much sense even PKP's brain can grasp the concept. And the arena is already halfway to completion.

I'd love to see a team in Seattle but they aren't as far along. First and foremost, there is no suitable venue for a team to play in while a new arena is built. Key Arena is a basketball facility and to shoehorn a hockey rink in there requires that a lot of seating is lost (think America West Arena where the Yotes played before moving to Glendale) A team could move to Quebec tomorrow and get by at le Colisee until the new barn is finished. Also, the deal in place with the city of Seattle to build a new arena is contingent upon the proposed ownership group landing an NBA franchise. The deal is that not one shovel goes into the ground unless or until that basketball franchise is secured. Getting an NHL team by itself would not get the arena built or even started. So until the NBA adds or moves a team to Seattle nothing else is going to happen. Besides which, the would-be owners of the Seattle NBA team have already stated they do not want to also own a hockey team. So some other ownership group dedicated to bringing the NHL there will have to emerge and unless they're willing to spend their own money to build an arena they'll have to wait for the NBA guys to get theirs built first. And once it gets built, the NHL team will just be a tenant paying rent. They won't get squat in terms of arena revenues like the owners of the NBA team will.

I'm sure all these things could be worked out over time but right now it only makes business sense to move a team (if you're moving one) to Quebec.

I believe initially the plan was to have Quebec and a southern Ontario team gets new franchises via expansion bids because the demand would be highest there but as I mentioned earlier there are real questions developing over whether QC has the corporate and ownership support to bring a team there. PKP has proven he doesn't want to buy anything. Wanted no part of the new arena and wants to be paid to run it. I am not sure he would be willing to pony up money for a relocation team and doubtful he would for an expansion team.

As Habsy mentioned Jerry Bruckheimer has wanted a Vegas team for a long time now and with the new splashy arena under way the NHL may want to establish roots in Vegas before the NBA does.

I agree Seattle has taken a step back with no one willing to go ahead and fund a new stadium without an NBA commitment.

The current owners in the NHL have pretty much maxed out their revenue for awhile with the NBC and Rogers deals. While revenue is expected to grow ovwer the next decade it may not be as much per team as the new TV deals brought immediately. Therefore expansion fees look real appetizing to many of the owners who might be in the NHL short term and don't care so much about a watered down product and quality of play.

Yeah Seattle needs an NBA team before anything else can happens, and this plan took a step back with Ballmer buying the Clippers.

cant money bags Gates use the spare change in his coat pocket to put a team in Seattle , dont think he is involved in any sporting team ?

cant money bags Gates use the spare change in his coat pocket to put a team in Seattle , dont think he is involved in any sporting team ?

He never had any interest in sporting teams, he's too busy trying to save the world.

Paul Allen is the guy involved in sports teams around here.

Suddenly Vanek not shooting the puck vs the Rangers makes sense.

lol

I was thinking about the bet Rory McIlroy's father made in 2004 for 400 pounds that Rory would win the British Open at some point in the next 10 years. At 500-1 Rory's Pop just won 200,000 pounds which if I am the bookie that knew I may have to pay that out after Rory's first 3 rounds on the golf course I make damn sure Rory doesn't make it to the course for round 4.

I bet Jacques has seen a few dark days in the Senate although I doubt he cried over them.

The Leafs have named Kyle Dubas assistant GM and have let go Dave Poulin & Claude Loiselle.

Back