• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2014 - 2015 Season

No, showed on the ice who the guys felt was the real captain. Crosby is the more talented player, but Toews has that "special" quality you don't always have in your superstars.

Ahh yes...mythical "leadership"

See my last post - what have u done for me lately syndrome. Crosby's not been all that the past few playoffs & last two Olympics.

True about Crosby but at the same time, Toews had decent playoffs this year but otherwise hasn't done much in the last Olympics and the past many playoffs as well.

I thought Toews had a nice Olympics. It was hard to shine offensively when our coach's goal was to win dominating 1-0 games (which we did)

I think if Crosby and Toews were in the same ballpark production wise every year I'd be a lot more inclined to look at any intangible reasons to take Toews... but they're just not.

True but his bilingualism and good looks give him a slight edge

And he can sing Italian love songs

[video=youtube;VjPTnPf0N10]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjPTnPf0N10[/video]

No, showed on the ice who the guys felt was the real captain. Crosby is the more talented player, but Toews has that "special" quality you don't always have in your superstars.

So you would take Messier over Gretzky......?

My take:

1. Sidney Crosby
2. Steven Stamkos
3. Evgeni Malkin
4. Ryan Getzlaf
5. Drew Doughty
6. John Tavares
7. Claude Giroux
8. Alex Ovechkin
9. Phil Kessel
10. Erik Karlsson

Feel free to criticize.....but this list changes every year.....if we were looking at 2 years ago, Datsyuk would be in the top 10.....I could have put Shea Weber instead of Karlsson, Seguin/Hall instead of Kessel......Jamie Benn also.

And you cannot ignore Ovechkin's stats, and the fact he's won 2 Hart already.....

I feel like Malkin is the total package, and no one can dominate a game like he can when he puts the switch ON.....in the past, he's played his best hockey when the team was his (Crosby injured)....

My take:

1. Sidney Crosby
2. Steven Stamkos
3. Evgeni Malkin
4. Ryan Getzlaf
5. Drew Doughty
6. John Tavares
7. Claude Giroux
8. Alex Ovechkin
9. Phil Kessel
10. Erik Karlsson

Feel free to criticize.....but this list changes every year.....if we were looking at 2 years ago, Datsyuk would be in the top 10.....I could have put Shea Weber instead of Karlsson, Seguin/Hall instead of Kessel......Jamie Benn also.

And you cannot ignore Ovechkin's stats, and the fact he's won 2 Hart already.....

I feel like Malkin is the total package, and no one can dominate a game like he can when he puts the switch ON.....in the past, he's played his best hockey when the team was his (Crosby injured)....

Crosby Stamkos Malkin would be my top 3 too, I think.

My take:

1. Sidney Crosby
2. Steven Stamkos
3. Evgeni Malkin
4. Ryan Getzlaf
5. Drew Doughty
6. John Tavares
7. Claude Giroux
8. Alex Ovechkin
9. Phil Kessel
10. Erik Karlsson

I think I'd do :

1. Crosby
2. Doughty
3. Stamkos
4. Malkin
5. Giroux
6. Tavares
7. Toews
8. Weber
9. MacKinnon
10. Subban

My take:

1. Sidney Crosby
2. Steven Stamkos
3. Evgeni Malkin
4. Ryan Getzlaf
5. Drew Doughty
6. John Tavares
7. Claude Giroux
8. Alex Ovechkin
9. Phil Kessel
10. Erik Karlsson

Toews may be overrated as #1, but I'd still take him top 10. If I had to build a team and had first pick, I'd likely go:
Crosby
Stamkos
Malkin
Toews
Doughty
Tavares

I'd say as my top 6. After that I wouldn't be able to choose - if you're starting from scratch, I'd even start considering whether a MacKinnon type should start getting there, or how am I trying to factor in age, contracts, etc... But regardless of issues I think my picks above would my my choices in order if I were planning a franchise.

1 Sidney Crosby

2 Ryan Getzlaf

3 Claude Giroux

4 Tyler Seguin

5 Corey Perry

6 Phil Kessel

7 Taylor Hall

8 Erik Karlsson

9 Duncan Keith

10 Shea Weber

Back