• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2014 - 2015 Season

Leafs PR
The @MapleLeafs announced today that Peter Horachek has been named the club’s interim head coach. #TMLTalk

Bob McKenzie
TOR names Peter Horachek as interim head coach, adds Manager of Player Development Steve Staois to coaching staff.

The Red Wings had one the hottest prospects in hockey coming into this season with Anthony Mantha. He started in the AHL. I think Detroit would have handled a top-10 pick the same way they would have handled a late first round pick unless said top-10 pick had an impeccable two-way game. Nylander & Kessel are similar in the sense that, if they're not in the offensive zone, they're not effective players. Maybe a year in the AHL could help improve that aspect of Nylander's game, maybe not. But I would be in no hurry to put Nylander in the NHL.

Nylander's probably not going to have an impeccable two-way game at 20 either though. Do you leave him down for two years then?

Sometimes I think the Leaf fans who want to leave our prospects in the minors forever are actually the least patient. They want this perfect, fully-developed player as soon as they make the jump and aren't willing to watch them go through the normal ups and downs of a young player.

I read an interesting theory on young European players coming over to play in North America.

There's always a lot of Europeans that come to the CHL to get more exposure and hopefully get drafted by an NHL team. Some make it, most don't. But a lot of Euro players who go to the CHL for a few years to "develop" and return to Europe afterwards are seen to have regressed, as if they didn't improve their game at all and only regressed. One of the theories that was talked about was that playing European hockey is like playing the blues-style guitar, while North American hockey is like playing electric style of guitar (GrandWazoo knows guitars better than me, so I might have mixed 'em up). The point here is that, if you're learning to play the blues-style of guitar, it would be better for you if you mastered (or at the very least, become very proficient in it) that style before attempting to learn the electric style of guitar. It was an interesting theory.

Anyway, I'm a firm believer in patience with young players and developing them slowly in the AHL to iron out their mistakes. I look at the Detroit Red Wings and that's how I would have my organization run.

That's a very bad analogy concerning guitar for many reasons.

1) You're comparing a music style (blues) to an instrument type (electric). You'd be better off comparing classical or acoustic guitar to electric for example.
2) Most blues nowadays is done on electric guitar.
3) Blues is a North American style of music.

If you want to made a better analogy I would compare European on learning classical guitar and then having to come over to join an heavy rock band, there would be some adjustment, mostly the adjustment from finger picking to using a pick.

B6ww_3CCUAA5Wvk.jpg

Elliotte Friedman ‏
NHL announces Nyquist and Trochek latest to be fined for diving.

That's a very bad analogy concerning guitar for many reasons.

1) You're comparing a music style (blues) to an instrument type (electric). You'd be better off comparing classical or acoustic guitar to electric for example.
2) Most blues nowadays is done on electric guitar.
3) Blues is a North American style of music.

If you want to made a better analogy I would compare European on learning classical guitar and then having to come over to join an heavy rock band, there would be some adjustment, mostly the adjustment from finger picking to using a pick.

See, I knew I should have asked you first. ;)

I would be happy if no one other than the canadiens ever won another game

But you don't want the Habs beating everyone 5-0.....

I prefer the Rocky Balboa storyline.....Habs get behind 3-0, only to comeback and win 4-3....the true underdog story.....that way you go to bed with a certain feeling that you won't get if Habs have the game won after 1 period

Looks like no honeymoon for the #mightyleafs. A team with terrible D and bad goaltending just won't win many games regardless of how many goals they score.

They're in rough shape.

A 5 year complete rebuild is needed there. However the fans and local media won't allow it to happen.

HabsLinks: On all his radio spots today Bob McKenzie has openly speculated about Claude Julien's job security in Boston. That's interesting.

Because I like enjoyable hockey?

No one who watches the Leafs on a regular basis could possibly give a damn about enjoyable hockey. If you want enjoyment you watch a good team.

Of course, not everybody defines enjoyment the same way. I, for one, am enjoying the heck out of the way the Leafs are playing right now.

The Sun is suitable mostly for lining cat litter boxes and bird cages but on days like this you just can't get better bang for your entertainment dollar than the back page. No media outlet can do outrage and hysteria like the Sun. I love watching them devour the team like this. It's better than sex.

Last edited by a moderator:

I enjoy watching great hockey, regardless of the level. I enjoy watching Midget & Junior hockey. I don't care if some of you hate the Leafs and want them to fail and I get that you only care about the Habs doing well, but I want to see players like Nylander flourish because it will make the NHL a better game overall. Do I want the Leafs to be successful and prosper? Not really, because it'll be at the detriment of the Habs, I just want to watch good hockey.

The series they had with Bawstun two years ago was amazing hockey. That was a great series to watch.

HabsLinks: On all his radio spots today Bob McKenzie has openly speculated about Claude Julien's job security in Boston. That's interesting.
Was listening to radio here in CT today, they had a couple of Bruins beat writers on, who said from their info Neely & Chia-pet have been in no uncertain terms been told by Jeremy Jacobs son (who just took over charge from the old man) their employment with the org would need to be reevaluated if the team misses the playoffs.

If accurate, like father, like son....

The Leafs are in trouble big time. No coach, no defence, no goaltending and no major prospects. Nylander and MR are not game changers.

Tough situation.

Back