• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2023 Edition

Hire the best people and philosophy tends to sort itself out. Being poor at draft and development is a symptom of a broader organizational issue imo.

And it's still a disgrace to the history of the franchise that we're essentially a bottom-5 team in payroll in the NHL. If you're not going to spend on player talent, then at least be the team that takes on a 1st round pick to buy out another team's mistake.

But yeah, the org basically needs to be shot out of a cannon, from the top to the bottom, and then you need a management team in that doesn't care if the french media hate them because they don't speak French.

The payroll issue is way over rated . They spend enough and why be a cap team when you stink .

If there is nothing to buy with a nice asset haul in return why do it

How many trades have you seen where a first was flipped to take on a bad contract with plenty of term left .

The payroll issue is way over rated . They spend enough and why be a cap team when you stink .

If there is nothing to buy with a nice asset haul in return why do it

How many trades have you seen where a first was flipped to take on a bad contract with plenty of term left .

Because cap space is always an asset that shouldn't be wasted.

If you're not going to spend to the cap because you're trying to compete, a rich team like Montreal should at least be going out and finding teams who are looking to off-load their expiring or short-term problem contracts in exchange for draft pick/prospect capital.

For example, like the tanking Leafs going out and picking up Brooks Laich's substantial expiring cap hit in exchange for a 2nd round pick and a prospect.

Last yr, Habs got Armia for picking up Mason contract. This yr, nothing.

Because cap space is always an asset that shouldn't be wasted.

If you're not going to spend to the cap because you're trying to compete, a rich team like Montreal should at least be going out and finding teams who are looking to off-load their expiring or short-term problem contracts in exchange for draft pick/prospect capital.

For example, like the tanking Leafs going out and picking up Brooks Laich's substantial expiring cap hit in exchange for a 2nd round pick and a prospect.

The bigger deals are hard to make . Players have trade clauses and those with significant term left wont net you want you want

Hawks , Nucks , Oilers were not handing you a non protected lottery pick to offload Lucic , Loui or Seebrook

We did a good one for Mason , netting Armia .

I can see us making a few more moves for picks but we need that bigger one netting more than a second or third

The bigger deals are hard to make . Players have trade clauses and those with significant term left wont net you want you want

Hawks , Nucks , Oilers were not handing you a non protected lottery pick to offload Lucic , Loui or Seebrook

We did a good one for Mason , netting Armia .

I can see us making a few more moves for picks but we need that bigger one netting more than a second or third

But the key to making the capspace work for you isn't to get assets for taking on something toxic and long term. It's to make the Marleau deals, or take advantage of someone wanting to trade a good player they can't afford anymore (Think Kessel to Arizona for example...3 yrs of Kessel at 6.8 is a decent move for a team pretending to compete).

There's a reason Lucic and Neal were traded for each other. Nobody wants, or should want a long term toxic contract without sending another one out the door. That's not what you're trying to use the cap space for.

But the key to making the capspace work for you isn't to get assets for taking on something toxic and long term. It's to make the Marleau deals, or take advantage of someone wanting to trade a good player they can't afford anymore (Think Kessel to Arizona for example...3 yrs of Kessel at 6.8 is a decent move for a team pretending to compete).

There's a reason Lucic and Neal were traded for each other. Nobody wants, or should want a long term toxic contract without sending another one out the door. That's not what you're trying to use the cap space for.

Yup , but I dont see a Marleau offer on the horizon for the Habs

You guys were unique where you to had sign 2 top ELC front liners with nickels in cap space .

Yup , but I dont see a Marleau offer on the horizon for the Habs

Because you don't want to see one. An easy example would be the Rangers moving on from Henrik this summer. Or if Vegas sees something else shiny and wants out from the last year of the Stastny contract, etc, etc

You guys were unique where you to had sign 2 top ELC front liners with nickels in cap space .

The reason we were capped out and needed space might be unique, but having an urgent need for cap space to improve your club with isn't. There are about 10 teams every summer interested in moving on from a contract or two.

Off-topic, but I saw my first game in Nashville on Sunday against the Blues. Amazing atmosphere. Like Vegas, the arena is just in the perfect spot. Hockey is bigger than the Titans there.

Off-topic, but I saw my first game in Nashville on Sunday against the Blues. Amazing atmosphere. Like Vegas, the arena is just in the perfect spot. Hockey is bigger than the Titans there.
Yeah, we went to a couple games there. The arena is pretty loud... and definitely a great location. Walk out of the arena right onto Broadway. Nashville is a fun city.

Yeah, we went to a couple games there. The arena is pretty loud... and definitely a great location. Walk out of the arena right onto Broadway. Nashville is a fun city.
Loved it. So many amazing bars. And if was their low season of tourists. They shut down broadway all summer it's so busy.
The big name bars unfortunately do get a little too packed to enjoy. I went to a real redneck bar with a mechanical bull just off broadway and had a blast.

Done. TSN needs more siren emojis though. Their emojis/60 on their breaking news posts are below average. TMZ is eating their lunch in that stat.

Isles in bigger freefall than leafs. Down 2-0 to Avs. Problems scoring goals addressed by overpaying for....checks notes.....Andy Greene?.....No that cant be right

Well since everything is pointed out this time of year... johnny gaudreau has removed the calgary flames from his twitter bio.

Back