• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2023 Edition

I blame Matthews a bit, he was bitching about playing with Hyman for most of his time here. Our collective eye tests (Matthews included) failed us all. The data was correct.

Everyone was okay with it. The deal would age badly we said.

So to now compare him offensively to someone like Tavares is hilarious hindsight at work. Take out the empty nets and he was roughly a 20 goal guy. You want to talk about EV and PP? Nobody wanted him anywhere near the PP regardless of whatever EV production he was showing.

Everyone was okay with it. The deal would age badly we said.

So to now compare him offensively to someone like Tavares is hilarious hindsight at work. Take out the empty nets and he was roughly a 20 goal guy. You want to talk about EV and PP? Nobody wanted him anywhere near the PP regardless of whatever EV production he was showing.
Zeke and his mentor, dom, felt he'd be worth the contract.

Agree tho, everyone else let the eye test get to them. Even Dom admits to not really trusting what his model said about hyman. But his model had that deal as a steal.

Zeke and his mentor, dom, felt he'd be worth the contract.

Agree tho, everyone else let the eye test get to them. Even Dom admits to not really trusting what his model said about hyman. But his model had that deal as a steal.
I think all of us liked him. The value he brought as a grinder who could PK and also chip in some offense was appreciated.

But getting into a 7 year deal at over $5M was a risky proposition for a guy who never showed this kind of potential. I don't recall Zeke crying over him leaving. I think we all just chalked it up to being a cap casualty that got snatched up like most ex-Leafs who got themselves overpaid in free agency like Mikky, Schenn, etc.

Even Dom said the latter years would likely be puke-worthy.

Now it seems unlikely. And since McDavid still has two more years, I'd expect those years to still be pretty good for Hyman. After that, he may fall right the fuck off a cliff though.

Even Dom said the latter years would likely be puke-worthy.

Now it seems unlikely. And since McDavid still has two more years, I'd expect those years to still be pretty good for Hyman. After that, he may fall right the fuck off a cliff though.
Dom's model projected him to be a $7m player this year. 9m in year 1. It's not till years 6 and 7 where his model predicts that he'll be overpaid.

Back