• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2023 Edition

A lot of GMs inherit great pieces. We jerked off Dubas for many years. He did a fabulous job rebuilding the d, acquiring two perpetually undervalued studs in Muzzin and Brodie but after that he was content in preserving what he had instead of adding 1-2 elite pieces that finally gets them to that President's trophy cup favorites level. He had opportunity to do it, often not even using all of his cap space at the deadline. But he got beat out by Holland. It's a different philosophy. One guy wanted to keep his balance sheet clean and was ok with rolling the dice every year and the other was never content and was aggressive in trying to trade for the best player available.

Not saying Holland is a top tier GM but it's a bit disingenuous to pretend he didn't do any good. Plenty of mistakes, some sloppy work, but Hyman + Ekholm were transformational moves that put them at the top of the league.

As for the drafting bit, as many know, I put zero stock in that. I don't credit him for Detroit's drafting nor do I blame him for Edmonton's. The head scout runs that show.

GM gets to pick his head scout, no?
Yeah that's about where the work ends for the GM. He sits and watches and hopes his scout knows what he's doing. And it may take 5 years to get a real handle on if the guy is any good or not so he likely prays a lot too.

Hyman going from being a solid role player into being good enough to turn the big 2 into a big 3 is pretty lucky. Even if he falls back into being a role player the rest of the deal, they've obviously made their money's worth the last year especially, and the last 2.

What Draisatl will cost though after next season will be interesting to watch. 14.5m a year? 15.5m a year? Whatever it is, it's a big pay raise from his current value. And then how McDavid doesn't become the first player to actually hit the cap ceiling or come within like a fraction of that value, I can't imagine either. Without this run, I think they probably would have moved Draisatl and put all their eggs in the McDavid basket. I don't know if you can do that coming off a game 7 cup finals run, even if Drai was quiet in the series.

Yeah that's about where the work ends for the GM. He sits and watches and hopes his scout knows what he's doing. And it may take 5 years to get a real handle on if the guy is any good or not so he likely prays a lot too.

That Nill guy is the only one with a very good draft track record over many, many years (Detroit and Dallas)

Almost everyone else seem to be playing roulette with a bunch of kids too young to drink

That Nill guy is the only one with a very good draft track record over many, many years (Detroit and Dallas)

Almost everyone else seem to be playing roulette with a bunch of kids too young to drink
Holland had a very good draft record in Detroit and got a lot of credit for it and I never subscribed to that either. It wasn't him of course. Yes there's an element to surrounding yourself with smart people as with any managerial role, so yes the GM has some responsibility.

Or course sometimes those smart people that you previously latched on to are employed by other teams or just not available and you sort of have to take a leap of faith on someone you're not familiar with. Do what you can in the vetting process I guess, but at the end of the day it's tough to really know with scouts without a large sample and track record as a head scout.

Holland had a very good draft record in Detroit and got a lot of credit for it and I never subscribed to that either. It wasn't him of course. Yes there's an element to surrounding yourself with smart people as with any managerial role, so yes the GM has some responsibility.

Or course sometimes those smart people that you previously latched on to are employed by other teams or just not available and you sort of have to take a leap of faith on someone you're not familiar with. Do what you can in the vetting process I guess, but at the end of the day it's tough to really know with scouts without a large sample and track record as a head scout.
And to give you the Jim Nill example, he's the one that got to the ex wings scout, Joe McDonnell, first. Of course Holland would have loved to have hired him. That's the golden boy that makes his GMs look smart and has for a couple of decades now (though yes, Nill was a big part of that in Detroit because that was his role; he's not scouting anymore though).

Back