• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2023 Edition

I think Drai has to be smart enough to leave when he can. He has to know that there’s a serious risk of McDavid bolting a year later, so does he really want to take a chance on the band staying together, when it might end up being just him alone in a wasteland for the remainder of his career?

It’s so tough, but Edmonton should see if he’ll extend now, and if not, trade him because he’ll walk. This isn’t a situation of Marner wanting to stay. Oilers will be left holding the bag.

And the irony is, Drai leaving because he thinks McDavid will leave actually cements McDavid leaving the next year.

I think Drai has to be smart enough to leave when he can. He has to know that there’s a serious risk of McDavid bolting a year later, so does he really want to take a chance on the band staying together, when it might end up being just him alone in a wasteland for the remainder of his career?

It’s so tough, but Edmonton should see if he’ll extend now, and if not, trade him because he’ll walk. This isn’t a situation of Marner wanting to stay. Oilers will be left holding the bag.

And the irony is, Drai leaving because he thinks McDavid will leave actually cements McDavid leaving the next year.

instead of speculating about what his buddy Connor is thinking, I would advise Drai to facetime him directly to sort it out

Between McDavid, Drai and Bouch, you're looking at close to 40 mil combined starting in 25-26 once those extensions kick in

They better find a creative GM or hope that cap rises significantly

Even if Drai now believes he can win in Edmonton, and they’re willing to pay him what he wants—does he really want to commit to spending another 8-9 years in Edmonton, after already having spent a decade living there?

That’ll be the interesting question to see get answered.

I think if they re-sign in Edmonton, it will be more like the short-term NBA-style deal for big money, hoping to keep options open and take advantage of a rising cap. Draisaitl could probably sign a 3-year extension this offseason for something like $45M. He’ll still be good at the end of that contract and then can chase a cup somewhere sunny.

I think if they re-sign in Edmonton, it will be more like the short-term NBA-style deal for big money, hoping to keep options open and take advantage of a rising cap. Draisaitl could probably sign a 3-year extension this offseason for something like $45M. He’ll still be good at the end of that contract and then can chase a cup somewhere sunny.
Interesting approach, but risks injury or downslope in production without McDavid and suddenly he’s lost $5m or more per on his next deal.

Between McDavid, Drai and Bouch, you're looking at close to 40 mil combined starting in 25-26 once those extensions kick in

They better find a creative GM or hope that cap rises significantly
they are doomed

NHL is an ugly game unlike other leagues , as soon as most teams become competitive/contenders your already starring at departures and pure cap hell in the mirror

A lot of GMs inherit great pieces. We jerked off Dubas for many years. He did a fabulous job rebuilding the d, acquiring two perpetually undervalued studs in Muzzin and Brodie but after that he was content in preserving what he had instead of adding 1-2 elite pieces that finally gets them to that President's trophy cup favorites level. He had opportunity to do it, often not even using all of his cap space at the deadline. But he got beat out by Holland. It's a different philosophy. One guy wanted to keep his balance sheet clean and was ok with rolling the dice every year and the other was never content and was aggressive in trying to trade for the best player available.

Not saying Holland is a top tier GM but it's a bit disingenuous to pretend he didn't do any good. Plenty of mistakes, some sloppy work, but Hyman + Ekholm were transformational moves that put them at the top of the league.

As for the drafting bit, as many know, I put zero stock in that. I don't credit him for Detroit's drafting nor do I blame him for Edmonton's. The head scout runs that show.
The leafs have very deep pockets, there's no reason to not go for it hard every year. Your deadline acquisitions to go deeper in the playoffs haven't been all that great if any at all.

Holland is a gambler. They lose sure but they also win.

Back