• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

People talk about the Leafs cap situation, but you want to see cap hell look at the Canucks. They spent so much money on shitty players that they can't afford to lock up their best players long term.

They manage their cap like they're the Brian Burke-era Leafs.

(AAV & years remaining)

Brandon Sutter - $4.375M X 2
Sven Baertschi - $3.366M X 2
Antoine Roussel - $3M X 3
Jay Beagle - $3M X 3
Tim Schaller - $1.9M X 1

So, they're spending more on a collection of five fourth-line calibre players this year than the Leafs will be spending on Mitch Marner plus one of Kapanen/Kerfoot/Johnsson. Now that's real "cap hell", not what the Leafs are dealing with.

And Vancouver's expensive 3rd/4th liners are worse than our cheap ones to boot.

"When you're having contract negotiations, one thing always is who are you playing with," Laine explained, as translated by Jalonen for Winnipeg's TSN Radio 1290. "With the merits I have, somewhere else I'd have an opportunity to play with the best players. Everybody who understands hockey knows that.
"There are top lines and then there is our line. But I play with the guys I'm told to play."

Should be popular in the room after this. Thank god we won that lottery.

Jesus. The "merits" he has are that he literally can't do anything other than score.

Brandon Carlo, another value signing on a bridge deal for the Bruins. But him and McAvoy are going to break the bank in a few years.

Man that Carlo deal was incredible for Boston. And I say this as someone who isn't a huge fan of his.

Its a smart bridge. IMO Carlo isn't the type of dman you want to sign to one of those 5-6 year $4-5 mill contracts.

But under $3 mill is good value.

Lots of teams doing some great work in getting value deals done with their RFAs. I do not happen to cheer for one of those teams, but it is impressive to watch from afar regardless.

These guys are getting smarter with these deals though. QO for both Werenski and McAvoy are low 7's and there is a very good chance they go to arbitration for more once the deal is up

These guys are getting smarter with these deals though. QO for both Werenski and McAvoy are low 7's and there is a very good chance they go to arbitration for more once the deal is up

It'll also be interesting to see if a guy like Werenski goes the route of either accepting his qualifying offer or going to arbitration for a one-year deal after his three year deal is up. Then he'd be able to play that one year out and hit the UFA market at 25/26 years of age.

Boeser and McAvoy don't have that option, since they burned a year of their ELC's by joining their NHL teams out of college towards the end of the season while not playing enough games to burn off a year of the RFA eligibility, so they'll have two years left once their deals are done.

Bridge deals used to be frowned upon, not applauded.
When you get that kind of discount compared to what we've seen out of Marner for example, they should be applauded. Marner wanted fucking 9.5-10 on a bridge deal.

And he wanted to come here so badly too.

So, his production dipped between 2nd and 3rd seasons.

Yes. From outstanding goalscoring to just really good goal scoring. If he remained just yr 3 for the rest of his career, he's a fringe top line player and worth the contract.

A more detailed comparison for the the Leafs is provided earlier (maybe your scroll thingy is broken). The difference between him an Kappy is primary assists.

Kappy doesn't have his goal scoring numbers over the last 2 years. Even comparing Kappy's 1 yr to Konecny's 2 yr split doesn't generate that conclusion.

With that said. If you wanted Kappy for 6 years, you were probably paying something close to 5.5.

People talk about the Leafs cap situation, but you want to see cap hell look at the Canucks. They spent so much money on shitty players that they can't afford to lock up their best players long term.

The best is people on social media making fun of the Nylander deal and asking why Dubas couldn't have gotten the Boeser deal instead. Apparently they struggle with the concept of term.

Active Stick
‏ @TheOakLeafs

Apropos of nothing, just an interesting tidbit IMO..

5v5 production in last 2 ELC years:

Pastrnak (1751:15) 2.09

Nylander (2185:43) 2.09

Evidently one humbly agreed to basically play for soup and chicken feed (6.66M) and the other greedily sabotaged our cap structure (6.96M)

Back