• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Yep. Unless he has a cracker of a season coming back off of the injury, I have a hard time seeing him getting anything close to what the young forwards got this summer, given that they all scored at pretty decent levels. Dermott is going to get his dick drug over broken glass in negotiations.

Back to Konecny, putting aside the Leafs cap issues, would anyone be happy with Kappy (or Johnsson) on that deal? A lot of people seem to like this but the guy has only outperformed these two by a marginal amount (likely with more ice time, though I haven't checked).

Back to Konecny, putting aside the Leafs cap issues, would anyone be happy with Kappy (or Johnsson) on that deal? A lot of people seem to like this but the guy has only outperformed these two by a marginal amount (likely with more ice time, though I haven't checked).
On a 6 year deal I would have expected a similar deal for those two, yeah. Maybe 6 years, 5 mil if anything. Kapanen probably has more value on a longer term deal than Johnsson because he is younger and likely has more upside; but Johnsson I believe would eat more UFA years I think? So maybe it's the same.

They'll have to move on from both when the time comes. Won't really have the money for a true middle class. Kappy and Konecny have some upside to outperform that though (unlike Johnsson). I think at the very least, they are both 5 million dollar players right now; Konecny of course a touch better (5.5-6 for him). It's a good deal for Philly.. But for the leafs, I'm not sure they can do that. They should be able to get a decent package for at least 2 of Kerfoot/Johnny/Kappy though so it's hardly a concern.

I would have not been too juiced if they inked either of those guys to 6 years at that level even without the top heavy salary structure. I suppose part of that is that we've only seen one full season of each. Konecny has 3 under his belt. Might not be a lot of upside there with him (of course, he'll blow the doors off now that I've gone on about this).

That was the comparison that first lept to mind for me.

The thing about Konecny is that while thus far in his NHL career he hasn't necessarily been a different class of player than Johnsson or Kappy were last season, he is a full year younger than Kapanen and about three years younger than Johnsson.

So it'll come down to how much more ceiling Konecny has left versus Johnsson & Kappy. Regardless, if you're the Leafs, you prefer Johnsson & Kappy and their deals, mostly because the Leafs don't have room for another $5M+ forward at the moment.

That was the comparison that first lept to mind for me.

The thing about Konecny is that while thus far in his NHL career he hasn't necessarily been a different class of player than Johnsson or Kappy were last season, he is a full year younger than Kapanen and about three years younger than Johnsson.

So it'll come down to how much more ceiling Konecny has left versus Johnsson & Kappy. Regardless, if you're the Leafs, you prefer Johnsson & Kappy and their deals, mostly because the Leafs don't have room for another $5M+ forward at the moment.

Ha, I just posted that his ceiling might be more limited due to more seasons than either. Hard to say if age is a bigger factor than experience in this instance. Konecny was flat production-wise the last two seasons.

I would have not been too juiced if they inked either of those guys to 6 years at that level even without the top heavy salary structure. I suppose part of that is that we've only seen one full season of each. Konecny has 3 under his belt. Might not be a lot of upside there with him (of course, he'll blow the doors off now that I've gone on about this).
I'm pretty high on Konecny to be honest. Johnsson is donezo. He is what he is, so let's remove him.

But I also think he has more upside than Kapanen. A year younger, and 2 years of essentially 50 point season with little ice-time is nothing to scoff at. Of the three, he's easily the most likely to turn into a legitimate star. And if he isn't he's still easily good value on that deal.

I'm pretty high on Konecny to be honest. Johnsson is donezo. He is what he is, so let's remove him.

But I also think he has more upside than Kapanen. A year younger, and 2 years of essentially 50 point season with little ice-time is nothing to scoff at. Of the three, he's easily the most likely to turn into a legitimate star. And if he isn't he's still easily good value on that deal.

Yeah, it comes down to gambling on his upside. Not sure about Kappy or Johnsson, given their limited NHL experience (I don't see either going above 50-60 pt players).

Take a look at his 5 on 5 points per 60. He has been one of the Flyers best scorers 5 on 5 for two seasons in a row now. Real good player that is worth the deal even if he's just a 50 point guy. But I think there's some 60-65 point upside there in a good season.

Take a look at his 5 on 5 points per 60. He has been one of the Flyers best scorers 5 on 5 for two seasons in a row now. Real good player that is worth the deal even if he's just a 50 point guy. But I think there's some 60-65 point upside there in a good season.

5v5
pts/60
AJ: 2.49
TK: 2.11
KK: 1.90

g/60
AJ: 1.39
KK: 1.12
TK: 1.0

A1/60
AJ: .83
TK: .67
KK: .5

Don't see how he's better here other than being a better playmaker than Kappy.

Man I always forget just how good Johnny was last year.

Yeah, like I said I have them all at around 5-6 on a 6 year deal.

I'd have concerns about a player that doesn't improve his production between his second and third years.

I'd have concerns about a player that doesn't improve his production between his second and third years.
Well two years of 50 points strengthens his bargaining position over an older player with one year of 40 points or whatever kap got, for example.

It's kind of another reason why the leafs blowing their wad on a guy with one 90 point season playing with tavares with 60-70 point years before that was enormously dumb. If be concerned about an outlier. Flyers know konecny is at least a 50 point man. 5.5 is market value for that.

I don't think any of the three merit that committment.
This is how you manage a cap. Leafs weren't in a position to do that. Flyers are. At the very least it's market value. This could look like a steal in a couple years.

Similar concept to wanting the leafs to sign Dermott longterm. You absolutely have to do things like this.

It could certainly look like a steal in few years, it could also look like stupidity.

The question is ... what do you use to bank on upside. I think it's a big red flag that he stagnated in his third year and is no better than a couple of (relatively well seasoned) rookies.

Back