• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

I have to say, I'll be pretty annoyed if the Leafs are the only club that is ignoring previous RFA contracts and precedents this offseason when doling out new contracts.

It's one thing to set the market, it is another entirely to be a random outlier. And I really hope over time the Marner deal becomes more the former than the latter.

with that said, that is a steal of a deal for the Bruins. absolute steal. McAvoy is already their best d-man and I don't think its particularly close.

I have to say, I'll be pretty annoyed if the Leafs are the only club that is ignoring previous RFA contracts and precedents this offseason when doling out new contracts.

It's one thing to set the market, it is another entirely to be a random outlier. And I really hope over time the Marner deal becomes more the former than the latter.

Yeah, same here.

If Rantanen, Point, Tkachuk, Laine, Connor & Boeser don't, for the most part, either hit the jackpot on a long-term deal on a number proportional to what Marner got or set a new benchmark for a bridge deal, it'll look pretty bad on both Dubas & Marner.

It's official, the players have opted to not re-open the CBA.

That means no lockout for at least the next three seasons (including this coming season).

Pretty hefty amount for a winger who's never cracked the 50-point mark (either in actual production or in scoring pace).
He's a real good player. Check his advanced stats. Easily a 2nd line caliber player (which gets you 5.5 automatically) with clear upside for more. That's a nice deal for Philly.

Pretty hefty amount for a winger who's never cracked the 50-point mark (either in actual production or in scoring pace).

Not only is Dermott a more valuable young player, he'll come in well south of that mark when he's reupped.

Not only is Dermott a more valuable young player, he'll come in well south of that mark when he's reupped.
They're both real good. Both teams got what they need and should be happy. Leafs got a potential 2nd pair guy and Flyers got a 2nd liner with some upside to be a decent first line guy if he gets more ice time.

It's a nice contract for the Flyers.

Dermott will be in the same situation. Very good analytics, but limited role and ice time leading to limited traditional stats. Hopefully they can get him to sign a cheap, long term deal. I'd offer it now while he's still hurt. 5 years $20 mill or something.

Dermott won't get a whiff of pp time before his next contract and could well spend the season on the third pair. Offering $4MM per right now strikes me as foolish.

They're both real good. Both teams got what they need and should be happy. Leafs got a potential 2nd pair guy and Flyers got a 2nd liner with some upside to be a decent first line guy if he gets more ice time.

It's a nice contract for the Flyers.

2nd line wingers, schmingers.

It all about the term. Because his ice time won't be limited for very much longer. So while its an overpay now, it will become a value deal really quick.

And if you can sign a legit top 4 dman, long term, for $4 mill, well thats just good value.

its like the Zaitsev deal, just for someone actually good.

A cheap 2-3 year deal is fine, but a long term steal is ideal.

Sure but you can get term next summer too. Another year without a breakout should make him cheaper than that.

Of course, injuries could change things.

It was big part of the risk with the big 3 RFAs -- not signing them before they had the chance to put up big numbers skating with elite talent was a mistake (which is most Shanny's doing due to when he timed the GM change). There's no such worries with Dermott. He'll be playing with fringe players and/or rookies.

Yeah, but right now he is a 3rd pair D that is injured. By the end of the year who knows. His value only has one way to go.

The point is just I would be trying to lock him up long term to a deal that is going to be a steal in short order, rather than a 3-4 year deal like Kappy/Johnsson got.

Dermott at $3.5MM, they have ~$7MM to fill out the top four next year, assuming all the other 2020-21 open slots fill at league min. For the next while, possibly 2 years if that deal comes through with the PA, they have to squeeze where they can. I'm hoping they can get him even lower than that. Absent a promotion, they should.

I would rather pay a bit more and try to sign him long term.

Chychrun 6 years 5.79%
Maatta 6 years 5.72%
Severson 6 years 5.56%
Dumolin 6 years 5.47%
Pesce 6 years 5.34%
Murphy 6 years 5.27%

5% is slightly over $4 mill right now.

If you can get him to that deal you are laughing IMO. Good chance he is better than all of those guys.

There's only two RFA bridge deals that come in north of $3.4 (Werenski and McAvoy). As much as I love Dermott, the jury is still out on: a) how well he can handle tough comp, and; b) his offensive upside. Given the holes they have to fill on the blueline next year, I don't think they have much choice but to bridge him or get him on a cheaper long-term, if possible.

Back