• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

When you get that kind of discount compared to what we've seen out of Marner for example, they should be applauded. Marner wanted fucking 9.5-10 on a bridge deal.

Not sure I buy that.

Bridge deal being half the hit of a longer term deal seems to have been normal for a while now, no?

I.e. subban had to have been worth at least 6m longterm when he took the 3m bridge.

He's got a charm for this -- I remember him crapping all over Jeff Carter when he got traded to LA. Jeff shortly thereafter went on to score the Cup-winning goal?

I still owe zeke a debt of gratitude for introducing me to the term "fagpouchie" (in the context of a discussion about Jeff Carter)

Winnipeg's excellent off-season continues.

It seems that Dustin Byfuglien possibly might not ever play again:

Remember his post literally blaming RoR individually for how bad St Louis was playing? That aged wonderfully.

Blaming him for all of St-Louis's problems was just the start of it. The zekian theory was that there was an "O'Reilly curse", because all of the teams he's been on have immediately gotten better once they've gotten rid of him.

Of course, I actually dug up the numbers and proved that was completely wrong. His teams all got significantly worse after getting rid of him.

Not sure if anyone mentioned but the nhlpa finally decided to stop being morons for the first time ever and decided not to opt out of the cba. So no more risk of another nhlpa-caused lockout, like all the others.

An extension to the cba may be complete soon - over 2yrs before the current one actually expires.

This is great news for the league, and great news for revenues - not only that it ensures the best possible revenue streams without interruption, but also that it indicates that all the numbers the nhl and nhlpa are looking at are looking very rosy going forward.

Contrast this pity party with the way the media treats the Leafs.....they're actually still congratulating management even as the team falls apart due to poor personnel decisions...

I think Buff likely showed up all superfat again.

That's probably as good a guess as any.

Buff showed up hugely overweight, Winnipeg read him the riot act, and now he's trying to decide if it's worth the time and effort to hit the gym hard when he's already got a Cup ring and about $61M in career earnings even without the $14M he's owed this year and next.

Contrast this pity party with the way the media treats the Leafs.....they're actually still congratulating management even as the team falls apart due to poor personnel decisions...

To be fair, if you're looking for media members who are overly critical of Leaf management, Hayes and Ferraro don't really qualify.

9 of 16 Sportsnet analysts picked the Jets to win the cup last season. The media loves them.
So much can change in 16 months, but Matthews in 5 years, he's leaving!

Some really choice moves by hockey media's hero, Cheveldayoff.

1st + 4th + bubble prospect for Kevin Hayes

Traded an asset for Par Lindholm

Signed Steve Mason to a juicy 4 year deal and got 13 games out of him

Signed Wheeler to a fat 5 year extension to begin at 33 years of age

Gave Hellebuyck a 6X6+ extension after one hot season

TDL deals for guys like Stempniak and Tlutsy.

Not perty

Some really choice moves by hockey media's hero, Cheveldayoff.

1st + 4th + bubble prospect for Kevin Hayes

Traded an asset for Par Lindholm

Signed Steve Mason to a juicy 4 year deal and got 13 games out of him

Signed Wheeler to a fat 5 year extension to begin at 33 years of age

Gave Hellebuyck a 6X6+ extension after one hot season

TDL deals for guys like Stempniak and Tlutsy.

Not perty

you forget all the money handed out to overpaid mediocrities like Little and Myers, and to utter crap like Perreault and Kulikov.

and, worst of all, cheaping out on and ostracizing Trouba and ensuring he never would even think of staying in winnipeg.

I have no evidence of this, but because of the Aho and Gardiner embarrassments, and because we just know he’s trying to add and make the usual offseason shocker trade, I’m almost positive Bergevin is trying hard to blow his brains out for Laine right now. I’m pretty sure he’s done being a Jet, and being a Hab seems so likely.

Back