• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

I have issues with giving a goalie that term and $ with just one good season under his belt. It's much the same with Marner, really. If you commit that long at that price, it would be nice to see it replicated at least once.

I have issues with giving a goalie that term and $ with just one good season under his belt. It's much the same with Marner, really. If you commit that long at that price, it would be nice to see it replicated at least once.

Oh, it's risky no doubt. But had he replicated it, you're paying a bunch more. Look at what Vasilevski just got. They were buying 4 years of his UFA eligibility. Sometimes you just have to roll the dice and hope your player evaluation is on point. Helly was worth the gamble imo.

That Helly deal was hellarisky.

Good not awesome AHL numbers.

Good not great numbers as a rookie backup.

Poor numbers as a sophomore starting goalie.

And one very good but not great year in his 2nd year as starter.

Given how voodoo goalies are, i woulda been bridging the hell out of that.

it's also possible that he never replicates his performance from his contract year. that seems like one of those seasons where just about everything that can, 'clicks'. time will tell.

at a certain point you have to trust in your talent evaluation, but goalies are freakin voodoo so who knows

Losing Stastny, Byfuglien, Trouba and Enstrom for nothing is killer.

They were a solid team, that had a bit of luck, and now they are kind of what the media pretends the Leafs are. All offense, awful D.

Oh, it's risky no doubt. But had he replicated it, you're paying a bunch more. Look at what Vasilevski just got. They were buying 4 years of his UFA eligibility. Sometimes you just have to roll the dice and hope your player evaluation is on point. Helly was worth the gamble imo.

I'm not sure it's ever a good idea to commit long-term to goalies unless they put up consistently good numbers over several seasons.

That Helly deal was hellarisky.

agreed

Good not awesome AHL numbers.

Eh? 2nd among starters in SV% as a AHL rookie is plenty good man. Even if you want to set a lower threshold for games played because it's the AHL and goalies tend to play lower workloads, he played a big boy workload (58 games) and was 4th in SV% among goalies with more 35 games played. He led the AHL in started by 5. So heavy workload, with top tier relative performance...that's pretty awesome. Then he was in the middle of doing it again before the call up

Good not great numbers as a rookie backup.

That's fair

Poor numbers as a sophomore starting goalie.

And one very good but not great year in his 2nd year as starter.

3rd in SV% among goalies with 50+ starts man. I get that we're playing with semantics on some level here, but .924 is a legitimate big boy starters workload is pretty fucking great.

Given how voodoo goalies are, i woulda been bridging the hell out of that.

He was only 2 years to being 27 and a UFA, you would have been bridging him to his UFA eligility, which means you're Winnipeg and you lose him for nothing.

I've never been a fan of Pronman ...

Yeah buffalo over toronto is a head scratcher.

Kapanen-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Nylander-Bracco

Sandin-Liljegren
Dermott-

Woll

Reinhart-Eichel-Mittlestadt
Thompson-Cozens

Dahlin-Jokiharju
Johnson-Laaksonen

Luukonen

But it's nice to see that the leafs are the only likely top 5 contender this year also to finish top 5 here.

A reminder that Pronman was one of the most militant Laine>Matthews guys leading up to the 2016 draft.

A reminder that Pronman was one of the most militant Laine>Matthews guys leading up to the 2016 draft.

He strikes me as a reactionary -- going against the big prototypical franchise centre fits the MO. Small is Beautiful.

BTW, does anyone else think Laine has a bit too much 'baby fat'? The guy looks like he likes to huff on the bong and munch fritos.

Wowsa. Uncle Euge opening the piggybank.

I mean, it's probably a good deal for both sides. With the potential to be a pretty serious steal for Ottawa on the back end. Surprised they were willing to pay him so much so soon though.

Not sure they had a choice after losing Karlsson, Stone and giving away Byram/Turcotte.

Now they have their best player locked up until 30.

Also thin Werenski and McAvoy will blow past this in 3 years and Boston/Columbus will wish they gave the Chabot deal.

Back