• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

And Ron Wilson coached the US World Juniors team one time after crawling out of the hole he’d been hiding in for years after getting fired by the Leafs.

That was the tournament where he said this prior to their semi-final game against the Russians (which Team USA lost):

always such an unnecessary jackass to the media. glad to see some things never change.

I vetoed a trade to Calgary in the summer of 2019. And it didn’t have anything to do with the Flames or really any other team in the league. There are lots of great clubs with amazing fans and loud buildings. But the team, the city — it was a part of me.

Because the thing that I think always connected me to Toronto was that I got it, you know?

I got how badly the fans wanted to win.

I got how frustrating the jokes about ‘67 were.

I got the passion.

I understood.

And Toronto was my home.

I made my case to management that I wanted to be there. We had an exciting young core with Auston, Mitch, Willy, Morgan — a great, talented group. And I just wanted to be part of the team that finally won a Cup. That’s all I wanted.

But it’s a business, and what happened in those 2019 playoffs against the Bruins made it tough. I know.

When I hit DeBrusk in Boston, I never thought that would be the last time I’d wear a Leafs jersey. I think about that moment from time to time because, yeah, I wish my stick hadn’t got that high — but that play? That’s who I am. I saw a cheap hit on one of our leaders, and that doesn’t get to happen on a team I play for. I’ll always stand up for our guys. But I crossed a line — again — and I let our guys down. And I can see now that, at the end of the day, it was time for a fresh start.

Getting the call from Kyle Dubas, it was tough.

Spent my whole hockey life in Ontario, really, and to have it end like that … I was sad, I won’t lie.

I was a player on the team, yeah, but I was a fan, too. Always will be.

Bring Naz back.

It's tough to envision because he needs to cash in big time now, and we'll never be able to fit him in now or later because of it.

Also, McDavid will be taking any and all space we can spare soon, so there's that.

It's tough to envision because he needs to cash in big time now, and we'll never be able to fit him in now or later because of it.

Also, McDavid will be taking any and all space we can spare soon, so there's that.

Naz is turning 32 before the start of next season, so it’s tough to envision anyone signing him to a super long-term deal.

So, he probably signs for four years at a very healthy AAV. Then when he’s 36, he signs back here on an NHL minimum deal.

Naz is turning 32 before the start of next season, so it’s tough to envision anyone signing him to a super long-term deal.

So, he probably signs for four years at a very healthy AAV. Then when he’s 36, he signs back here on an NHL minimum deal.
With his skating/speed limitations, I can’t see him being useful by that age, but who knows.

Back