• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Then they wasted $5.6 mill on Murray last year who was completely unplayable.

And then $5.55 on Klingberg and Reaves that are completely unplayable.

Meanwhile Hyman has been one of the better forwards in the league.

I still can’t believe Hyman left his home team for more money, and to Edmonton of all places.

If the Leafs wanted to keep him and offered less, he called their bluff in a bad way.

Then they wasted $5.6 mill on Murray last year who was completely unplayable.

And then $5.55 on Klingberg and Reaves that are completely unplayable.

Meanwhile Hyman has been one of the better forwards in the league.
And aren’t we in a position right now to add at least a $5.5m player at the deadline with Kling gone, Reaves out, Sammy down?

Seems like every year we could’ve easily accommodated Hyman’s salary, and who knows, maybe he was willing to stay for $5m or $5.25m. I’m sure Edmonton had to pay him a premium to leave.

they gave $5.8 mill to Mrazek and Ritchie who were both completely unplayable. Hyman would’ve been way better. Not even close.

I welcome anyone to make that cap situation above make sense with Hyman in it. Not just cherry pick individual spots or bitch and moan about some of the decisions made. Make sense of the entire picture.

And then do it again the following season with the cap staying flat at 81.5, because that's the reality of the situation we were in.

Sure, we have no room on our PP though, so considering anything else is moot.

This isn't a discussion on whether Hyman was worth 5.5. He was. It's whether he was worth 5.5 to us. He wasn't.

I don't get it. How is a 50-60pt guy with no PP time not worth $5m to us?

Yeah, I'm not getting lost in the weeds of defending the rest of the limited cap spend. The fact of the matter is that we would have taken a challenging cap situation (that Dubas handled fairly poorly despite the bravado) and made it significantly harder (probably even doing a worse job if we look at what he's done here and it pittsburgh when bargain hunting bottom 6'ers) when the one thing he actually did do well was replace the Leafs version of Hyman for cheap with Bunting and Knies.

In 21-22 they spent $6.3 on Mrazek ($3.8) and Ritchie ($2.5). Hyman ($5.5) + Woll ($750) was $6.25. easy.

Kallgren also made 750 and was equally as bad as Mrazek after he stole his job anyway.

So your plan for that season would have been to go into the year with a goalie who had played 15 games the year before in the AHL with a .892, and 37 AHL games total with a ~.885 to back up Jack Campbell, who had never been even a 1B before?

Fucking bold.

I'm not going to defend the Mrazek signing at all, it was shit from start to finish. But going into the season trusting Jack Campbell and Woll as your goaltending tandem would have been complete fucking lunacy.

Quite a lonely hill to die on to claim that, even with the benefit of hindsight, that letting Hyman walk was the right move.

Like almost everyone else, I thought it was the right move at the time. Partly because I thought his production in the two Covid-shortened seasons was an aberration and that 20 goals/40-50 points would generally be his high-water mark. And because I thought injuries and age-related decline would already be hitting hard by this point of the contract.

Since all my original justifications turned out to be completely wrong, I have no problem admitting it was the wrong call.

And while it’s valid to point out the money would’ve been real tight keeping him, we would’ve got him at a lower AAV giving him eight years. And we still spent enough money on stupid shit or lesser players every year since he left that there would’ve been room to trim.

I thought I’d go through our books since Hyman left and come up with a year-by-year list of guys that were either complete, predictable stupid wastes of cap dollars, or decent players who otherwise would’ve been expendable if we had Hyman (guys like Mikheyev or Jarnkrok would fall into that latter list):

21/22:

Kerfoot - $3.5M
Ritchie - $2.5M
Simmonds - $900K
Kampf - $1.5M
Mrazek - $3.8M
Mikheyev - $1.645M

22/23:

Kerfoot - $3.5M
Jarnkrok - $2.1M
Kampf - $1.5M
Simmonds - $900K
Murray - $4.7M

…so yeah, I’m honestly surprised and how stupidly easy it would’ve been to fit Hyman at say, $5M under our cap the past two seasons. Just don’t massively overspend on shitty broken veteran goalies both years and get rid of Kerfoot and that alone comfortably gives you the room to fit him in. Let alone any of the other options to trim salary above.

And then this summer, we obviously had plenty of money to toss around, so I don’t even really need to go through that.

I welcome anyone to make that cap situation above make sense with Hyman in it. Not just cherry pick individual spots or bitch and moan about some of the decisions made. Make sense of the entire picture.

And then do it again the following season with the cap staying flat at 81.5, because that's the reality of the situation we were in.
Wait. So it was cap hell?

so yeah, I’m honestly surprised and how stupidly easy it would’ve been to fit Hyman at say, $5M under our cap the past two seasons.

Now go the extra mile and show what else would have been on the roster for us to fit Hyman in.

This is not remotely as easy an exercise as you guys are trying to make it seem. The long and the short of it is that if we jettisoned the extra spending we could have fit Hyman in, and then filled the rest of the roster with 1M dollar players.

This would have 6-7 Malgin's, ZAR's, etc on the roster instead of 2-3.

I'm not remotely convinced this would be a net positive.

Back