• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Now go the extra mile and show what else would have been on the roster for us to fit Hyman in.

This is not remotely as easy an exercise as you guys are trying to make it seem. The long and the short of it is that if we jettisoned the extra spending we could have fit Hyman in, and then filled the rest of the roster with 1M dollar players.

This would have 6-7 Malgin's, ZAR's, etc on the roster instead of 2-3.

I'm not remotely convinced this would be a net positive.

How is this not a dead simple exercise?

Replace Kerfoot at $3.5M with Hyman at $5M in each of the past two seasons. They even play the same position (left wing).

Then don’t sign Mrazek in 21/22 and don’t acquire Murray in 22/23. And then for whoever you get to replace them in net, you’ve got $2.3M to spend in 21/22 and $3.2M to spend in 22/23.

…aaaand you’re done. Hyman fits.

Replace Kerfoot at $3.5M with Hyman at $5M in each of the past two seasons.

What makes you think we could have dropped Kerfoot without taking salary on? We heard numerous times over those few years how hard it was to get rid of salary, how GM's didn't want to take on salary without sending salary, etc.

See, this is where it all breaks down for me when I try to consider everyone's position here. This is Chel GM mode logic, not how we've seen the league actually operate during the flat cap era.

Are we giving up picks to get rid of Kerfoot?

We would never have had to pay someone to take Kerf. Put him on waivers and Edmonton would’ve grabbed him right there.

What makes you think we could have dropped Kerfoot without taking salary on? We heard numerous times over those few years how hard it was to get rid of salary, how GM's didn't want to take on salary without sending salary, etc.

See, this is where it all breaks down for me when I try to consider everyone's position here. This is Chel GM mode logic, not how we've seen the league actually operate during the flat cap era.

Are we giving up picks to get rid of Kerfoot?

I simply don’t believe that the Leafs would’ve had any trouble or found it particularly costly to unload Kerfoot if they’d wanted to.

If they paid out his signing bonus for 21/22 before trading him, the team acquiring him would’ve only owed him $750K that season and $2.7M in 22/23.

This is part of why I found it so frustrating that Dubas clung on to Kerfoot until the bitter end. With the way his contract was structured, dumping him or even potentially getting assets for him should’ve been easy.

imo, a rational conversation about this starts here:

Hyman (5.2)-Matthews (11.64)-Marner (10.9)
Mikky (1.65)-Tavares (11.0)-Nylander (6.96)
XXXXX-Kerfoot (3.5)-XXXXXX
Engvall (1.25)-XXXXX-XXXXXX
XXXXXX
Forwards - 46.9

Rielly(5.0)-Brodie(5.0)
Muzzin (5.65)-Holl (2.0)
Sandin(.894)-Lilly (.894)
XXXXXX

Defenders - 19.44

Jack (1.65)
XXXXX

Goalies - 1.65

Total - 74.2 million
Cap - 81.5 million
Space -

- Hyman probably takes less than 5.5 to stay because of the 8th year, but I'll guarantee that his agent would value that year at worth more than 1.5 million dollars (the value spread between 7x5.5 & 8x5). 5.2 puts the value of that additional year at 3.1 million, which is probably about right.

- Kerfoot for nothing as a cap dump wasn't happening.

- 7.3 million for 5 forwards, a defender, and a goalie....and the idea of putting a AHL goalie or kid with 0 NHL games with Jack would have been nuts at the time. Completely insane.

I simply don’t believe that the Leafs would’ve had any trouble or found it particularly costly to unload Kerfoot if they’d wanted to.

We watched over and over teams try to move salary in the flat cap era and be unable to. Kerfoot was coming off of a 23 point season where he had flopped as a centre, again. He would have been a distressed asset in any discussion to move him.

We watched over and over teams try to move salary in the flat cap era and be unable to. Kerfoot was coming off of a 23 point season where he had flopped as a centre, again. He would have been a distressed asset in any discussion to move him.

I completely disagree with this point. I think the Leafs would’ve had little trouble finding a taker for a 2 year/3.45M salary commitment that came with 2 year/$7M cap hit. To go along with his two 15+ goal/40+ point seasons with Colorado. Hell, Eugene Melnyk probably would’ve personally picked him up at the airport.

But even if I were to concede that point, and accept that Kerfoot’s $3.5M in 21/22 was nigh untradeable—then fine. Delete Ritchie’s $2.5M (which you obviously don’t sign in the first place after re-signing Hyman), and then you have $1.3M to spend on a goalie who’s not Petr Mrazek. Done.

I completely disagree with this point. I think the Leafs would’ve had little trouble finding a taker for a 2 year/3.45M salary commitment that came with 2 year/$7M cap hit. To go along with his two 15+ goal/40+ point seasons with Colorado. Hell, Eugene Melnyk probably would’ve personally picked him up at the airport.

But even if I were to concede that point, and accept that Kerfoot’s $3.5M in 21/22 was nigh untradeable—then fine. Delete Ritchie’s $2.5M (which you obviously don’t sign in the first place after re-signing Hyman), and then you have $1.3M to spend on a goalie who’s not Petr Mrazek. Done.
Plus, we always had a 4th line of bargain basement shit, so fill in those spots with $800k players, or heaven forbid, kids. Move Engvall to the third line where he belonged. Add Bunting and give him the second line, move Mikky down to the third where he was a force with Pierre. So it was just one more third liner needed, Kase was one. Or easy to find another.

Kerfoot was untradeable at the time, especially with the expansion draft going on. Hyman signed 7 days after the expansion draft. There's just a 0.0% chance of someone taking on Kerfoot before they see what's available in free agency.

I've already deleted those above, and I've shown what was necessary to keep Hyman. 7.3 million in cap space to fill 7 spots.

Go nuts. I'll even give you the obvious mulligan and take Perry at 1.0

Add Bunting

Bunting doesn't come here with the top 6 LW spots spoken for.

Bunting: I had multiple teams reach out to me on free agency day. Some of the others were higher than Toronto’s offer, but the communication I had with Kyle and Sheldon and the opportunity I had to come home and play for my team and compete for a Stanley Cup was definitely worth the pay cut in my mind. I definitely do no regret my decision and look forward to getting going.

Is part of the attraction taking that next step in your career and getting an opportunity to be in the Leafs‘ top six?

Bunting
: Yeah. There are a couple of holes right now on the left-wing spot. They communicated to me that those are spots that are open and able to be taken advantage of. That is my goal: to come in here and be able to play with the top guys. They are all exceptional players. I think I would complement their game as well as much as they would complement mine. I am looking forward to getting that shot up there.

He took less to come home and play top 6. He was pretty clearly pitched by Kyle as that opportunity being wide open for him. He goes somewhere else for the opportunity to play top of the lineup to try to secure a decent contract eventually if Hyman is still here.

Kerfoot was untradeable at the time, especially with the expansion draft going on. Hyman signed 7 days after the expansion draft. There's just a 0.0% chance of someone taking on Kerfoot before they see what's available in free agency.

What exactly would’ve been the rush to trade Kerfoot before the expansion draft or before free agency?

And come to think of it—if they just hadn’t bothered with trading for McCann, isn’t it pretty damn likely Seattle would’ve taken Kerfoot off their hands in the expansion draft?

I've already deleted those above, and I've shown what was necessary to keep Hyman. 7.3 million in cap space to fill 7 spots.

Go nuts. I'll even give you the obvious mulligan and take Perry at 1.0

What seven spots?

Swap Ritchie for Hyman and Mrazek for a goalie that makes $1.3M or less and literally the rest of the lineup could stay exactly the same.

And of course, there are multiple painless options for bumping up that goalie budget. Such as swapping Simmonds and/or Kampf for guys on contracts closer to the NHL minimum.

Bunting doesn't come here with the top 6 LW spots spoken for.

He took less to come home and play top 6. He was pretty clearly pitched by Kyle as that opportunity being wide open for him. He goes somewhere else for the opportunity to play top of the lineup to try to secure a decent contract eventually if Hyman is still here.
Not at all. You give him his top 6 role, give Hyman the other spot. And push Mikky down. What’s the problem?

That Grant McCagg dude seems to be just a limitless font of all-time horribly embarrassing hot takes.

Amazing that any NHL team actually paid him to scout. Or that any hockey fans would pay good money for his reporting.
He is.

Habs fans know all about this tool. BTW he's posted here before so he's watching.

He is.

Habs fans know all about this tool. BTW he's posted here before so he's watching.

I guess one plus for you guys though is that at least your media tool is a 100% in the bag, over-the-top homer for the Habs.

Quite different from the Leaf versions of the same type of guy—Howard Berger, Steve Simmons, etc—who fucking despise the Leafs and every Leaf fan with every fibre of their being.

Back