• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Hold up, wait a second of course hyman was worth 5.5 for the Leafs. I didn't think he was at the time and may have even laughed at the Oilers. That was wrong.

To score more points...

Bertuzzi makes the same as Hyman
Whatever, the point remains the same. Why do we accommodate the same situation for Bertuzzi but not Hyman? Even without knowing how Hyman would explode after leaving, I’d have still for sure preferred him over Bert.

But it's not about this year, it's about the summer he left. We were tight to the cap and had to make a sacrifice. I don't necessarily agree with some of the decisions made, but we had a limited amount of cap and 5.5 would have been a tight fit for another forward.

Massive bargains are good with a Cap.

But 5.5 million for a 55-60 point winger isn't a huge bargain for a team with 40 million spent on 4 forwards in a world with the cap in the low 80's as it was at the time.

Hyman would not have been a 80+ point winger here without making John Tavares a 55 point centre, or giving Hyman Willy's PP1 minutes, which would have precipitated Willy asking out eventually.

This isn't zero sum. Hyman can both be well worth it for Edmonton but a bad idea at the time for us. Can be a good hockey player while not fitting into our roster/cap structure.

Get rid of kerfoot and don't sign Ritchie + Kase and suddenly they're a much better team and cap compliant.

You're still short after replacing the 3 with 1 million dollar players that we have to assume exist and aren't terrible. Kerf + Ritchie + Kase, all replaced for a millie a piece is 4.5 million in cap savings.

After seeing just a few players torpedo the fuck out of us this year, I'm not willing to accept that just randomly replacing functioning NHL'ers (other than Ritchie, of course) with random bullshit makes you better. It was a "throw shit at the wall" off season trying to find top 6 help. We got lucky with Bunting, somewhat lucky with Kase (good player, mushy head) and Kerfoot actually provided okay value (51 points) that year.

Fine then dump Simmonds instead of Kase. I don't know.. seems crazy to not have room for a guy as good as hyman at such a bargain deal. You create space for a guy as good as that at a deal as good as that. This is hindsight on my end of course, I agreed with them at the time.

This is a team that suffered a long time with scoring depth. To keep him and add bunting for the last couple of years would have been sweet. They may have actually gotten some extra goals behind the core 4 when it mattered most.

Fwiw, this was the team that summer

XXXXX-Matthews (11.64)-Marner (10.9)
Mikky (1.65)-Tavares (11.0)-Nylander (6.96)
XXXXX-Kerfoot (3.5)-XXXXXX
Engvall (1.25)-XXXXX-XXXXXX
XXXXXX
Forwards - 46.9

Rielly(5.0)-Brodie(5.0)
Muzzin (5.65)-Holl (2.0)
Sandin(.894)-Lilly (.894)
XXXXXX

Defenders - 19.44

Jack (1.65)
XXXXX

Goalies - 1.65

Total - 68.99 million
Cap - 81.5 million
Space - 12.51

So, cool. Assume you sign Hyman for 5.5, now you have 7 million to fill 7 roster spots. It's doable, but that's a lot of important roster spots you're filling with junk and praying for the best.

and I feel like I'm forced to repeat this again. Hyman would not have done what he's doing in Edmonton, here. Would.Not.Have. There is no Connor feeding him pucks here, and there's no PP1 time for him here. So you're cap fucking yourself into dragging the bottom of the UFA bin to fill 1/3rd the roster just to keep a guy that we've replaced all or most of his Toronto Maple Leaf levels of production 3 years running now for .925K a season.

Fwiw, this was the team that summer

XXXXX-Matthews (11.64)-Marner (10.9)
Mikky (1.65)-Tavares (11.0)-Nylander (6.96)
XXXXX-Kerfoot (3.5)-XXXXXX
Engvall (1.25)-XXXXX-XXXXXX
XXXXXX
Forwards - 46.9

Rielly(5.0)-Brodie(5.0)
Muzzin (5.65)-Holl (2.0)
Sandin(.894)-Lilly (.894)
XXXXXX

Defenders - 19.44

Jack (1.65)
XXXXX

Goalies - 1.65

Total - 68.99 million
Cap - 81.5 million
Space - 12.51

So, cool. Assume you sign Hyman for 5.5, now you have 7 million to fill 7 roster spots. It's doable, but that's a lot of important roster spots you're filling with junk and praying for the best.

and I feel like I'm forced to repeat this again. Hyman would not have done what he's doing in Edmonton, here. Would.Not.Have. There is no Connor feeding him pucks here, and there's no PP1 time for him here. So you're cap fucking yourself into dragging the bottom of the UFA bin to fill 1/3rd the roster just to keep a guy that we've replaced all or most of his Toronto Maple Leaf levels of production 3 years running now for .925K a season.
If he could have done it with the opportunity, then Hyman was still worth keeping even if there was no room to give him the opportunity. If he was a true first liner or a supreme second liner, who cares what his raw points tally was? He’d have made us a ton better than Kerf and Simmonds and other fluff.

You still could’ve had Bunting and Kase for $1m each, and could’ve added a couple other bargain bin guys for that amount (there are always several every offseason).

No matter how you slice it, it turned out to be one of Dubie’s biggest gaffes, if not the biggest.

If he could have done it with the opportunity, then Hyman was still worth keeping even if there was no room to give him the opportunity. If he was a true first liner or a supreme second liner, who cares what his raw points tally was? He’d have made us a ton better than Kerf and Simmonds and other fluff.

You still could’ve had Bunting and Kase for $1m each, and could’ve added a couple other bargain bin guys for that amount (there are always several every offseason).

No matter how you slice it, it turned out to be one of Dubie’s biggest gaffes, if not the biggest.

Kase was 1.5, we couldn't have afforded him unless everyone else we brought in got league minimum. Bunting probably doesn't come here if he doesn't have the lineup opportunity granted by Hyman leaving. He knew when he signed here that he had a good shot at winning that role. He had other teams interested in him.

The only, only way to reasonably have kept Hyman on that team would have been to replace one of the big 4 with Hyman in the team structure.

Back