• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

I mean that I prefer him as a player to Monahan.

I don't really know what he costs but I'd agree it'd have to be commensurate with what he's doing right now.

Why is that exactly? 31 points in 46 games and 57% on the dot? Worse has gone for more.

He'll get a second and a prospect at minimum if he stays healthy which he has been doing this year.

You're forgetting he can play center. They go for more.
Centres and faceoffs are overvalued. So chance somebody overvalues with a first instead of a second. Or monohan and a pick for a late first.

He is also under 2 million so easy to fit in cap wise even without retaining.

Monahan is having the best counting stat season since he was 24-25 yrs old, Lindholm having the worst since his trade to Calgary. Monahan traditionally mediocre or worse nerdies in neutral or soft usage, Lindholm traditionally fantastic nerdies in heavy lifting usage.

Even the counting stat production, Lindholm has 20 points at even strength, to Monahan's 16 .

If you trade for Monahan you're bringing in a mediocre #2-3C who needs sheltering while not being very good offensively and has pretty turrible durability. If you bring in Lindholm, you're bringing in a guy who has been a solid 2 way #2C this season but has been a good #1C with strong 2 way play in heavy usage for the last ~5 years but is in the middle of a down year by his standard. There's legitimate promise of a bounce back to #1C level play with him.

They're just not the same despite #Habsfans attempts to make it look similar.

Trading for and signing Lindholm and Hanifin would be pretty sweet.

But we need to trade Tavares to make it work.

Does the cap deadline math work if we were able to dump Brodie and/or pay extra for some retention?

Because yeah, if we had to fire a package of future assets out the door for Lindholm and Hanifin, that's pretty much best case scenario for our needs right now. It's "only" 9.8 million in cap hit this season, and worry about the off season in the off season.

What's a Lindholm extension look like right now? 8? Hanifin roughly the same?

Does the cap deadline math work if we were able to dump Brodie and/or pay extra for some retention?

Because yeah, if we had to fire a package of future assets out the door for Lindholm and Hanifin, that's pretty much best case scenario for our needs right now. It's "only" 9.8 million in cap hit this season, and worry about the off season in the off season.

What's a Lindholm extension look like right now? 8? Hanifin roughly the same?

oh I think we can fit them both in capwise this year.

but to keep them next year I think we'd need to move Tavares. which i think is possible, for the record.

oh I think we can fit them both in capwise this year.

but to keep them next year I think we'd need to move Tavares. which i think is possible, for the record.

Yeah, I've said it before but if it's made clear to Tavares that the team isn't looking to bring him back after his contract is up, he's probably given the ability to find a team interested in trading for him and extending him. He likely accepts the situation and moves on.

The sooner we bring his era to an end in Toronto the better imo.

Their best bet to shore up their d and center hole is a Lindholm-Hanifin package, yeah. Basically replace Tavares and Brodie with those 2. Younger versions of them and tbh, maybe even a better fit. A guy worse defensively than prime Brodie on D but with some offensive pop is a great tradeoff for this roster. And a guy worse offensively than prime JT with better defensive ability may be even a better trade-off. JT has been an issue in a couple series now struggling defensively.

Yeah, I've said it before but if it's made clear to Tavares that the team isn't looking to bring him back after his contract is up,

They could tell him they're ready to give him a nice long retirment contract but just need his capspace next year. So if he wants to stay in toronto that badly longterm then it's in his interest to waive his ntc.

and we would retain the ability to keep JT for this playoff run and just move him to the wing...which we won't, but whatever at least his usage will be lighter and Matthews-Lindholm would be a really, really nice 1-2 punch of very good 2 way centres

They could tell him they're ready to give him a nice long retirment contract but just need his capspace next year. So if he wants to stay in toronto that badly longterm then it's in his interest to waive his ntc.

Yeah, or that. Fuck off somewhere for a year and come back to play as long as he can on the wing until he gets his all expenses paid trip to Robidas Island.

I'm still on the Calgary bandwagon, because it is such a fit. (and enough of the Vladar comments)

but Brodie's wife being from Calgary and his mental health concerns, makes Calgary perfect... and gives them a resigning discount to replace the UFAs that you won't resign.

Make the deal with Calgary for Lindholm and a D and include Brodie for salary purposes and to give calgary a chance to resign him next year. It's gotta do something for his mental health and well being.

If Calgary doesn't want to deal with us, then I would seriously consider putting Brodie in the players assistance program to take a break...

Maybe he works through some things, maybe he gets rest.... then he comes back as the extra D... and then you have a 7/8 pair of Brodie and Gio waiting in the wings.

Back