• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Pittsburgh wins but is on the edge of elimination regardless

23dbdd259f897e12f879f2d34182778a774f8f47.gif
I just really want to see what happens if they get eliminated. I suspect nothing this offseason, but Dubie has sort of tied his hands with all those contracts (and he's lucky still because he's getting premium performance from them for under market prices now), so I don't think he can make much of a change. Burning one of Sid's last year's is bad. Burning two if he misses next year again? I think that gets him fired.

Trade away a good player, everyone agrees the season is done, pressure goes to zero, start winning, come up short by a point or two and miss out on a good pick and the playoffs (Caps winning on an empty net goal to make it worse).

Sounds very familiar. Now let's see if they make the same mistake as our old Leafs did and think they actually have a good team given the late season run and double up on this group in the offseason. They don't have much contact flexibility either.

Is it though? There is another scenario where the current owner wants to keep his team but can't afford to until the arena deal is done. This route alleviates his contractual obligations. Then they work on the arena deal and bring them back in with Atlanta in a couple of years
It's not about "affording". The reason there's no arena in Phoenix (or Scottsdale, or wherever the hell hockey in AZ is supposed to make sense) is because the Yotes owner wants a deal with the local government and the taxpayers. And the deal he wants, like every owner in evert sport wants, is the kind of deal where the costs and debts are offloaded on to the taxpayers while the profits stay with the owner. If the Yotes were prepared to just build themselves an arena without any public money, it could have already been built by now. But they don't want to pay for anything. They want taxpayers to build it for them.

Well the taxpayers said "Fuck you". And in e or 3 or 5 years from now the answer from the taxpayers will be the same: "Fuck you".

If taxpayers in the city of the current Superbowl champion Chiefs won't budge on a new or refurbished stadium, why would taxpayers be willing to help a sad sack hockey team that no one in the entire state of Arizona gives a shit about? Finally at long last tye public is finally pushing back and telling these team owners to go fuck themselves.

Well, technically, for the Habs, yeah. But it's not like most Hab fans are mistaking that for being NHL history. A damn fine season for a 19 year old though. Of course, you'd hope for that or better from a 1st overall pick.

It's a pretty good 19 yr old season from a counting stat standpoint, yeah. Not a lot of 20/50 guys getting 1st line usage though. It's the right thing for the Habs to do with him for now though, so whatev.

Here's the best 18-19 yr olds from this season

P/60
Fantilli (19): 2.05
Poitras (19): 2.0
Bedard (18): 1.97
Slaf (19): 1.68
Cooley (19): 1.50

If we look at him through the lens of just a good young player, yeah he looks pretty good. Looking at him through the lens of the type of prospect you expect to get in the top 2-3 though, he's pretty mediocre. Not a bust. But probably not a star either.

Back