• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Double edged sword from a development standpoint. It's good to get him top minutes and reps if he's even close to treading water in them for now but eventually you need to learn to generate offence while doing the other shit that wins hockey games. We've seen other young cores (Buffalo, Ottawa, even Jersey now to a degree) struggle with doing that consistently.

Specifically with Slaf, the test is going to be whether he ends up good enough offensively to earn those type of minutes on a good team. Scoring in the NHL is trending up, but most of it is happening with those players getting that top PP unit, top line type opportunity and about 60 guys either scored 30 or were on pace for 30 this year. Pretty much every play off team has 2-3+ guys who are a good bet for ~30 or more in most seasons now. Not sure if he turns into one of those guys tbh.

It's a pretty good 19 yr old season from a counting stat standpoint, yeah. Not a lot of 20/50 guys getting 1st line usage though. It's the right thing for the Habs to do with him for now though, so whatev.

Here's the best 18-19 yr olds from this season

P/60
Fantilli (19): 2.05
Poitras (19): 2.0
Bedard (18): 1.97
Slaf (19): 1.68
Cooley (19): 1.50

If we look at him through the lens of just a good young player, yeah he looks pretty good. Looking at him through the lens of the type of prospect you expect to get in the top 2-3 though, he's pretty mediocre. Not a bust. But probably not a star either.
Yeah, all of that is true. I don't know the stats after he was moved to the top line, but I'm sure he was much closer to a 30/70 pace. He's also pretty physical for a young kid... which is something we've been missing for a long time.

Still far too early to know, but after seeing how he looked since moving to the top line I feel a helluva lot better about the pick than I did last year. As of right now, I feel good about taking him at #1. I mean, you can only choose from the players available.

Yeah, all of that is true. I don't know the stats after he was moved to the top line, but I'm sure he was much closer to a 30/70 pace. He's also pretty physical for a young kid... which is something we've been missing for a long time.

Still far too early to know, but after seeing how he looked since moving to the top line I feel a helluva lot better about the pick than I did last year. As of right now, I feel good about taking him at #1. I mean, you can only choose from the players available.
And of those available players Slaf is emerging as the best of the lot. That draft was a choice of 3 between him, Wright and Cooley. He has surpassed Cooley and Wright is only a part-time NHL player who isn't even dominating at the AHL level. Slaf was the right choice and while he isn't generational, he'll be good for 70 points a year once he's established.

Yeah, all of that is true. I don't know the stats after he was moved to the top line, but I'm sure he was much closer to a 30/70 pace.

He was on a 70 pt pace on the top line

He also looked good… played fast… used his size… made nice passes… etc

I think he’s the real deal

Lovely year for engvall in his first full year with the islanders. A nerdies monster and scoring at his usual pace, helping the isles get a deserved spot in the playoffs.

Leafs offensive depth is excellent this year so I don't mind moving on from him at all but I wanted to personally congratulate him and the islanders for making an analytics signing.

I'm sure he'll be a monster in the playoffs.

Back