• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

I'm so sick of going out and spending dough on goalie castoffs from other teams.

I wish we could just go with the draft picks, Woll and Hildeby.

Well trying bad goalies hasn't worked so I want to see us try good goalies for a change. Just to mix things up a bit.
We were all excited about Freddie, and Jack, and then Sammy had some decent showings, and they were all crap.

Is Boston going to send us the former Vezina winner without some stupid overpay? Are we going to again sign some 5 x $5M deal or worse on a guy who they played as their backup and who we beat to turn the momentum back our way (before Sammy gave it right back to them the next game)? I doubt they trade him to us and I doubt we're going to see him come in and just do like we hope and kick ass.

I have zero confidence in this move that we've tried over and over, even though he'd be the best gamble of the bunch. It feels like another Freddie situation all over. And how many 1sts and prospects are we going to throw away on goalies? Give me the goalie UFA list and just get a decent one who could surprise on the high end for a short cheapish contract.

We were all excited about Freddie, and Jack, and then Sammy had some decent showings, and they were all crap.

Is Boston going to send us the former Vezina winner without some stupid overpay? Are we going to again sign some 5 x $5M deal or worse on a guy who they played as their backup and who we beat to turn the momentum back our way (before Sammy gave it right back to them the next game)? I doubt they trade him to us and I doubt we're going to see him come in and just do like we hope and kick ass.

I have zero confidence in this move that we've tried over and over, even though he'd be the best gamble of the bunch. It feels like another Freddie situation all over. And how many 1sts and prospects are we going to throw away on goalies? Give me the goalie UFA list and just get a decent one who could surprise on the high end for a short cheapish contract.
Insane

We didn't think so at the time.
There were plenty people skeptical of each

I mean you’re the guy who was clamouring for Klegbort or whatever the fuck his name was because your philosophy seems to be shrug all goalies are bad so let’s use a cheap one and hope for the best. It’s insane

If any fanbase should be willing to allocate cap space for a proven G it should be Leaf fans

Granted I guess spending no money on G allows for a world where you can keep an 11M Tavares and still functionally I’ve a team so I understand why YOU advocate this

I want us to develop good goalies and run with them. Have some ELC years where they do the job of a $5M goalie.

I don't want castoffs from other teams. I'd like to see what we have. It'd be too risky to run with two rooks, so I'd just find one vet who would take a 1-2 year deal and provide solid backup duties behind Woll. And work in some Hildeby if Woll just can't stay healthy and see what he can do.

I'll never be an advocate of going and trading valuable assets and clogging up cap on expensive goalies. Been there, done that, and no Cups to show for it.

lol...what the fuck is this? Freddie was fine and a good move overall. The mistake was using him like he was a Vezina calibre number 1 and never having a tandem mate with him. Nobody was "excited" about Jack. He was a good gamble to make in hopes of getting a backup or 1B tandem guy and played fine here before getting the bag. The problem again was playing him out of slot as if he was something he wasn't. We treated him like a 1A or a starter instead of a 1B/Backup and fuck Samsonov. We knew he was junk when we got him. Another guy that if we slotted him in as what he is (backup), it wouldn't have been a problem.

Is Boston going to send us the former Vezina winner without some stupid overpay?

They need the cap and the goalie market isn't loaded with buying teams.

Are we going to again sign some 5 x $5M

Again? Did I miss something? Did we sign a goalie to a bad long term deal that I was unaware of? We keep spending 3-4 million dollars on dogshit instead of just going and getting a good goalie for ~5.

I have zero confidence in this move that we've tried over and over

We've literally never tried it. The closest thing to it is the Freddy move and that was overall very good, we just overplayed the hand.

And how many 1sts and prospects are we going to throw away on goalies?

A distinction needs to be made on trading a 1st with Mrazek (for a 2nd) to get rid of a dogshit goalie we tried to cheap out on as a stop gap to get rid of his salary, and trading a 1st for a recent Vezina winner.

lol...what the fuck is this? Freddie was fine and a good move overall. The mistake was using him like he was a Vezina calibre number 1 and never having a tandem mate with him. Nobody was "excited" about Jack. He was a good gamble to make in hopes of getting a backup or 1B tandem guy and played fine here before getting the bag. The problem again was playing him out of slot as if he was something he wasn't. We treated him like a 1A or a starter instead of a 1B/Backup and fuck Samsonov. We knew he was junk when we got him. Another guy that if we slotted him in as what he is (backup), it wouldn't have been a problem.

They need the cap and the goalie market isn't loaded with buying teams.

Again? Did I miss something? Did we sign a goalie to a bad long term deal that I was unaware of? We keep spending 3-4 million dollars on dogshit instead of just going and getting a good goalie for ~5.

We've literally never tried it. The closest thing to it is the Freddy move and that was overall very good, we just overplayed the hand.

A distinction needs to be made on trading a 1st with Mrazek (for a 2nd) to get rid of a dogshit goalie we tried to cheap out on as a stop gap to get rid of his salary, and trading a 1st for a recent Vezina winner.
There’s too much revisionist history and kidding yourself content in here to make me want to address it all now that I’m on my cell. Maybe tomorrow.

I wouldn't spend big assets on a .906 goalie like Saros either. I'm all for getting a good goalie. Great, even. I just don't have enough confidence that anyone they'd acquire for prime assets or aav would be actually great. It's a risk.

Back