• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Stars: Dadonov-Steel-Smith
Oilers: Janmark-Carrick-Ryan
Rangers: Cuylle-Goodrow-Rempe
Panthers: Lorentz-Stenlund-Okposo

4th lines usually are shitty vets. The Stars give their kids meaningful minutes though, and don't yo-yo them in and out of the lineup while maxing out in 4th line/3rd pair roles like Keefe did.

We've wasted too many high picks on shitty deadline moves that did not put the team over the top, and/or correcting shitty offseason spending.

Organizationally we should be functioning better than Vegas in our ability to attract top-end talent in free agency, to the point that we start trading players for picks on a regular basis and never being in a position where we have no draft picks.

Instead we like to lock everyone up with ironclad trade clauses, and hang onto them until they are unplayable -or- need to be traded with a sweetener to open up cap space. Backwards.

We've wasted too many high picks on shitty deadline moves that did not put the team over the top, and/or correcting shitty offseason spending.

Organizationally we should be functioning better than Vegas in our ability to attract top-end talent in free agency, to the point that we start trading players for picks on a regular basis and never being in a position where we have no draft picks.

Instead we like to lock everyone up with ironclad trade clauses, and hang onto them until they are unplayable -or- need to be traded with a sweetener to open up cap space. Backwards.
mid and low picks too

JD
Pres Hockey OPS - Blues -2006-12: missed playoffs 5/7 seasons
Pres Hockey Ops - Jackets - 2013-19: missed 3/7
Pres Hockey Ops - Rangers - 2019-20: missed 1/2
Pres Hockey Opes - Jackets - 2021-24: missed 4/4

Waddell
Pres + GM - Atlanta - 2009-2011: missed 10/11
Pres + GM - Carolina - 2014-24: missed 4/10

1716920700664.png

Last edited:
Stars: Dadonov-Steel-Smith
Oilers: Janmark-Carrick-Ryan
Rangers: Cuylle-Goodrow-Rempe
Panthers: Lorentz-Stenlund-Okposo

4th lines usually are shitty vets. The Stars give their kids meaningful minutes though, and don't yo-yo them in and out of the lineup while maxing out in 4th line/3rd pair roles like Keefe did.

That's kind of what I'm getting at though. Giving young organizational depth a real, fixed role on the team to start the season and letting them work their way up the lineup is what most of these successful organizations do. So what you see by playoff time is that the young players have earned their way higher into the lineup and the scrubs are playing 8 sheltered minutes a night if they're not on the PK.

We don't do that. We start our kids in the AHL most years, expect them to blow the doors off for 20-30 games until there's an injury and then yo yo them around without ever getting comfortable in a role and when they struggle at all it's back to the AHL or the pressbox.

If you need a 4th line plug because the kid who started the season there has played his way into the middle 6, it's the easiest thing in the universe to get at the deadline for nothing. But we insist on starting the season with Reaves, Gregor, ZAR, etc firmly planted on the 4th line with Robertson, Holmberg, Steeves "proving themselves" in the AHL waiting for a shot when they're clearly, clearly better than what we're using in Oct-Nov.

That's kind of what I'm getting at though. Giving young organizational depth a real, fixed role on the team to start the season and letting them work their way up the lineup is what most of these successful organizations do. So what you see by playoff time is that the young players have earned their way higher into the lineup and the scrubs are playing 8 sheltered minutes a night if they're not on the PK.

We don't do that. We start our kids in the AHL most years, expect them to blow the doors off for 20-30 games until there's an injury and then yo yo them around without ever getting comfortable in a role and when they struggle at all it's back to the AHL or the pressbox.

If you need a 4th line plug because the kid who started the season there has played his way into the middle 6, it's the easiest thing in the universe to get at the deadline for nothing. But we insist on starting the season with Reaves, Gregor, ZAR, etc firmly planted on the 4th line with Robertson, Holmberg, Steeves "proving themselves" in the AHL waiting for a shot when they're clearly, clearly better than what we're using in Oct-Nov.
I often hear you can't 'Gift" a spot to the kids. But it feels like these gudpro vets ARE gifted spots.

I often hear you can't 'Gift" a spot to the kids. But it feels like these gudpro vets ARE gifted spots.

I remember when Babcock came out and said what we know is common practice in most organizations. "Tie goes to the veteran". Except it's never a fucking tie. The kid has to blow the veterans doors off and embarass the organization into playing them more.

Should prob be 3-1 in this series.

I'd like to see a Dallas v Florida final. We'll hardly have to hear a thing about it all summer being one of a few reasons.

Back