• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

On the upside though, Perry's thing is making it to the finals and then losing.

If Florida wins the Cup this year, Perry will have lost in the finals in four of the past five seasons, with four different teams.
Is it weird to wish we had that record of futility and be lamenting our inability to win the finals every year instead of one round?

You're describing an uneven playing field. When I have to work hard & smarter than you to achieve the same results. I have to do that all ~6% better than you just to be equal. That's the point.

We're not talking about competing though, we're talking about winning. 6% can definitely be the difference between winning and losing. 5 million is the difference between signing Tyler Bertuzzi for your 1st line this year and Sam Reinhart. Or Lyubushkin for your blueline or Skjei.

Never said it is. In fact, came right out and said it was more even than the old system.

That doesn't make it even though, which is what it was supposed to be.

View attachment 20666

Low tax jurisdictions have a competitive advantage baked in to the league's economic structure and it's relatively significant.
Your making excuses

Canadian teams have the bonus option that is taxed less for some players if you want to use it

Teams that win cups are built properly with good drafting and asset management

Plus your paid in USA funds and spend in Canada $$$ a huge 35% gift

I see your point but teams need to do a better job of roster construction and cap allocation .

Your making excuses

Bullshit. I'm pointing out the obvious math of the situation.

Canadian teams have the bonus option that is taxed less for some players if you want to use it

Ask Tavares how that's working out for him.

Teams that win cups are built properly with good drafting and asset management

Kind of a post facto argument though no? Not every cup winning team looks like it's built properly until it actually wins a cup.

Vegas had 5 million for busted Lehner, a questionable Karlson contract, a questionable Eichel contract, and a questionable Stone contract on the books when they won. But they won, so clearly that was good asset management.

The point of my argument is that it's easier to build a winning team when you can consistently keep the players you want to keep for cheaper than market value. I'm not sure why this is a controversial argument on either end that 1) It happens in low tax jurisdictions regularly & 2) It's uhhhh...a good thing for the team.

I see your point but teams need to do a better job of roster construction and cap allocation .

But we're not talking about the fucking Islanders or Calgary here. We're talking about a significant cap bonus between a handful of the top teams in the league.

Here are the teams who play in states with no state income tax for high earners

Florida - Panthers, Lightning
Texas - Stars
Nevada - Golden Knights
Tennessee - Preds

All 5 are playoff teams, which kind of underlines the potential advantage right off of the hop. 4 of the 5 teams are recent champs or current championship contenders which seems like a hell of a coincidence as well.

All 5 have signed core/key players to team friendly deals in the last few years as well.

Vegas: AP at 10.8% of the cap when comparable defenders were signing long term in the 11.5% range, Hanifin at 8.8% is hilarious.

Florida: Already covered Tkachuk & Barkov. But jesus fuck look at that Forsling contract. He's their #1 defender and they're paying him next year probably about as much as Zadorov is going to make in free agency. If he hit the market he's a 7 million dollar defender but a combination of the 8th year and no state taxes brings this down to maybe the best value contract in the league.

Nashville: Remember when everyone scratched their head at the ROR contract in free agency? Forsberg at 10.3% was/is cheap, Josi at 11.1% was cheap (for contrast, Rasmus Dahlin is over 13%, Doughty just under 13.9%, Seth Jones 11.7). Saros has been on one of the most team friendly deals in the league for 4 years now, a few years after breaking out as a top 10 or better starter.

Really only need to bring up Kucherov when discussing Tampa, and the Stars have bargains all over their roster and all of them were post breakout contract signings. That's kind of the commonality here. These low tax jurisdictions get team friendly deals as a matter of course, while teams not in tax friendly jurisdictions need to do stuff like sign their star player long term after a few 50 point seasons in a row, or pull an elite goal scorer out of their ass when his career high in goals before the age of 30 was 27.

Imagine that every long term deal you signed for a core or key player came with a 5-7% cap discount and now extrapolate that across the entire roster. It's contract negotiations on easy mode and it absolutely has an impact on cap structures and competitiveness.

And in a playoff elimination game.

Would love to see some of that shit out of Matty in a game 6 or 7.
He did it when he was younger (Washington goal was something magical right? Have to go back to view it. Going based on memory). Then the Leafs core 4 bug hit.

I actually happened to come across a clip of that crazy comeback against Columbus with 3 minutes left down 3-0.

And then Tavares to Matty for the OT game winner.

I remember thinking at that time that their balls had dropped. They fucking did the impossible and now were going to steamroll the league.

And then they got shut out 2-0 or something like that in the final game.

Back