• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Rumors now that 21 is part of a package for McGroarty.

That’s exactly who I had in mind but didn’t want to jinx it….thing is we might not know until the pick is up next before a trade is made… the other team may have specific target(s)

It can both be an overpayment, and turn fine for the Habs in the end. It's all probabilities. We did it "wrong" a few years ago when we traded down from the Konecny slot to take Dermott and stuff that didn't pan out. But the numbers are the numbers. Maximize your chances whenever possible.
Just saying there's merit to both sides of a trade like this. If your scouts are right on the guy who goes 21, you will obviously never have the chance to draft him at 26 if someone else takes him.

And we obviously know there are tiers in prospect evaluation, which is why a top 10 pick is worth more than a 10-15, a 1st is worth more than a 2nd, etc.

The fact that trade value is pretty close here says it all. It's nice to have more picks, but it's also nice to pick higher. Otherwise every team would be falling over themselves to trade down. If I see a significant top tier of 15-20 guys I really want, I would rather trade up to 21 than the other way around.

Askarov

18: KHL 1gms, .920 --- VHL 18gms, .920 --- WJC 5gms, .877
19: KHL 9gms, .951 --- VHL 6gms, .923 --- WJC 6gms, .914
20: KHL 6gms, .913 --- VHL 12gms, .910
21: NHL 1gms, .886 --- AHL 60gms, .909
22: NHL 2gms, .943 --- AHL 49gms, .908

hasn't exactly ripped it up.

Back