• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

I'm sure if teams knew they could get him to come over this year and not in 3 years (or possibly never), that would have changed some calculations. The question really for those front offices is whether they put in the effort to figure out if this was even a possibility, or just ignored him outright and went on to their next choices.
Wrong mate. Michkov was never in the Habs calculus. Ever.

Mistake on talent? Very likely.

Mistake on character? Not very likely.

You know how Molson does crap man and yet people are still surprised at the reasoning.

And please people, I'm probably the most direct person you'll ever meet. Calling it rage is laughable and a poor attempt at getting me to stop.

Yeah, but now there is only one on the Habs instead of two. Having two of those guys would be scary. Lots of teams have one elite player.
You seem convinced that taking a player with wide spread reports of character and coachability issues is still the way to go.

How'd that work out for teams before though?

I'll say it again, I think Marner is better than Michkov and I still wouldn't take him on my team. Why is this so difficult to understand?

Marner isn't better than Michkov, and he's not actually the problem.

I mean they said the same shit about Ovie. 20 years later he is a cup winner and the best goal scorer ever.

It was just a horrible decision. I get why you have to try to defend it as a Habs fan though. Its just depressing otherwise.

I know Habs drafted Reinbacher instead of Michkov so this comparison does not address that but here are Scout quotes (from Athletic) that compares Michkov with Demigod. I'd like to have both, obviously.

Scout quotes​

“I’d be concerned on Demidov for the same reason I was concerned on Michkov. He’s a small, slow Russian winger who we didn’t get to scout live all season. We all see the skill, he’s stupid talented, but in the top five you need to be sure, and I don’t see how teams can be that sure.”

“Demidov’s game is way more direct. His habits are much better than Michkov’s. Mickov is extremely talented and a heck of a hockey player, but I know who my coach is going to prefer to lean on come playoff time and it’s Demidov.”

“Michkov was in the conversation with Connor Bedard for us. That should tell you how highly we think of the player. It’s not even a conversation. His hockey sense and skill are off the charts.”

“Demidov is an excellent player, but he’s only played against junior players and I don’t love the quality of competition of that league. Michkov did it versus men in his draft year. He was great at the U20 level, the U18 level, even with the senior Russian team. He displayed consistency across high levels of competition.”

“I think with Michkov you always know he’s going to score, but his game can give you some headaches. He lacks pace, he doesn’t play very hard. Demidov has less of those issues even if he’s not an amazing skater. He also seems to have less drama around him. I’d feel more comfortable picking Demidov.”

Michkov is just a unicorn type prospect. It’s not just like he’s pretty good. He’s generational good.

Him falling to 7 in an embarrassment for 5 teams. Especially considering it was purely because he is Russian. Don Cherry would be proud though.
See I get this. I really do. But we've seen talented and great character and we've seen talented with WTF character.

If you're desperate then you'll overlook certain deficiencies but some just can't be overlooked by teams. Philly is more desperate than Montreal. The mandate to rebuild quickly from comcast is there.

You can say Marner worked out great for you guys but is it not possible selecting Chabot or Rantanen could have gotten the Leafs further down the road playoff wise?

Marner isn't better than Michkov, and he's not actually the problem.

I mean they said the same shit about Ovie. 20 years later he is a cup winner and the best goal scorer ever.

It was just a horrible decision. I get why you have to try to defend it as a Habs fan though. Its just depressing otherwise.
Lol at Marner isn't the problem. Rare to see such a perimeter player score. Good on him.

Who has the blind spot now?

The funny thing is people had concerns about Demidov too, but he came over for that Florida thing. When people talked to him they were like "oh he's nice".

Makes you wonder if there was no Russia war if both these guys just went #2 like they clearly should have. Never mind the Habs being morons in 2023. They got super lucky both years. Capitalizing on one lucky year is better than none.

The funny thing is people had concerns about Demidov too, but he came over for that Florida thing. When people talked to him they were like "oh he's nice".

Makes you wonder if there was no Russia war if both these guys just went #2 like they clearly should have. Never mind the Habs being morons in 2023. They got super lucky both years. Capitalizing on one lucky year is better than none.
For sure. A lot at play. Including a kid that probably had no clue what his dad was into and that screws with the mind as well.

I'm just saying that if you pass over that kind of obvious talent there's a reason and it wasn't just the purported three year wait.
Let's see who gets there first in say 5 years, the Habs or the Flyers.

That's how I feel...if they made the same move twice, I would have been an unhappy camper

Back