• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

the bigger question - what the fuck is Stevie Y doing in Detroit?
Just a cursory look at their roster, seems like he's just signing whatever plugs to fill out the roster to make the team at least semi-competitive. Can't out-tank the teams below them in the overall standings (they're that bad) so I guess his thinking is to at least some semblance of a team. Doesn't look like they've got any/too many uber duration contracts (just 'band-aids'). Course I haven't really followed them much since they moved back to the Eastern Conference.

edit: didn't realize they hit 90+ points this past season.

Last edited:

Stevie Y collecting goalies like Dubas & Treebitch collect defensemen at the deadline.

But yeah, I’d think Talbot & Lyon are the guys pencilled in on the NHL roster.

Husso’s been complete ass for them the past couple of years while carrying a $4.75M cap hit for one more year. So they’re probably going to either dump him this summer if possible, or they’ll bury him in the AHL.

Cossa is their version of Hildeby—young, waiver exempt and likely to get a lot of starts in the AHL. And then sad Jack is their version of Matt Murray—a vet with NHL experience pencilled in as their third stringer that they’re hoping to get through waivers next fall.

just refreshed my memory on Murray, remembering he was a perfectly cromulent backup for us in his brief injury plagued stint with us:

Murray (TOR): 26gms, 103pt pace, .903sv%, -0.05gsax/60

don't remember if that was a single injury. But after missing most of october, he played 5 or 6 games per month thru nov, dec, jan, before leaving the 2nd period of a game on Jan 17 and then sat out for about 6 weeks. Then came back in march for the last 7gms.

sure, as a 3rd goalie making peanuts on the cap, a gamble guy with injury history like Murray is fine.

problem is, we also have those as our other goalies

That’s always the trick with 3rd stringers, though. If you sign someone better who doesn’t have the kind of question marks around them that Murray does, then you’re probably not getting them through waivers.

View: https://x.com/penguins/status/1808131864483213405

The Dubas Family talking about their big offseason so far.

Watching him be all tense and defensive talking about his offseason:

marie-kondo-cute.gif

He gone

View: https://x.com/SpectorsHockey/status/1809235824313041294

Meanwhile, Draisaitl's agent Jiri Poner told Michael Bauer of Germany's EishockeyNews that the ball was in the Oilers' court.

“There's no rush yet, but either it happens quickly, i.e. by the end of August, or it doesn't work out at all,” Poner said in German. “It will also become clear whether Edmonton wants him or not. Leon holds all the trump cards.”
Poner also addressed the rumors in the North American media suggesting the Oilers could trade Draisaitl if they failed to agree to an extension.

“There are two important points. Firstly: What will a club be willing to give up for a short-term deal? Leon would then be a free agent and the club would lose far too much. And secondly: What would Connor McDavid do a year later when his contract expires and Edmonton has already given up his friend?”

Back