• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

They won't finish above the Habs. Lunacy unless Habs are riddled with injuries.

Why not? Chicago was trying to lose last year and have added half of an okay hockey team over the summer. I'd take Chicago's forward group over Montreal pretty easily. Montreal's blueline is better though, and goaltending is probably even-ish depending on which Mrazek shows up.

Bedard is probably PPG+ this year, and their offensive depth around him is actually pretty okay. I'm not arguing they're going to finish way ahead of the Habs or anything, but both teams finishing in the 75-80 point range with the Blackhawks edging them out by a point or three isn't crazy at all.

Because you're assumption is a healthy Habs roster is a bottom three team. It's not.

I'll lay any money you want on this one. Hawks will not finish above Habs, even with the west being ridiculously easier

Because you're assumption is a healthy Habs roster is a bottom three team. It's not.

Why would that be my assumption when they weren't bottom 3 last year? I didn't say anything about the Habs getting worse. Everything I've said has been about the Hawks getting better. They've gotten a lot better.

Bertuzzi(Foligno)-Bedard-Kurashev
Hall(Beauvillier)-Dickinson-Teravainen(Johnson)
Foligno(Anderson)-Reichel-Mikheyev(Raddysh)
Athanasiou(Johnson)-Donato-Smith(Entwhistle)

Vlasic-Brodie (Zaitsev)
Korchinski-Murphy
Martinez(Megna)-Jones

Brossoit (Soderblom)
Mrazek

They've upgraded everywhere. They needed to of course, but they did it. That's an entirely functioning professional lineup now, not a tank roster. Montreal might be a bit better than last year, but they're still in the "learning how to win games" phase of development. It was an undertalented roster last year that added nothing in the off season. All of the development is going to have to come in house, which really means from Slaf, Frodo, Newhook...maybe Hutson if he's NHL ready and Guhle. Which is an okay group of young guys but really just okay.

By adding the Brodie, Mikeheyev, Martinez, Smith, Maroon of the world ( nothing good, but at least NHL bodies), plus Bertuzzi, Tuevo, healthy Hall, healthy Bedard, and healthy Anathasiou they allow for Nazar, Korchisnki, Del Mastro, Slaggert and Allen ( the most on the cusp NHL ready prospects) to prove themselves in the AHL before getting a call up, as opposed to having no choice cause there are no functional pros available.

My guess is Chicago finishes bottom 4-7 in the league. I think they are a step up from San Jose, Anaheim, Columbus and in a tier with a cluster of the Montreal, Buffalo, St Louis, Ottawa. Also a half dozen or so interesting guys to flip at the deadline

Terrible teams like those it's so hard to predict. They don't rely on a lot of depth, so one injury can just crush you. Or one rookie suddenly breaking out could rocket them forward. Teams like CHI or MTL could easily have a lot of things break right and be at like 85 points, or just have one or two things fall wrong and be at 55 points.

Terrible teams like those it's so hard to predict. They don't rely on a lot of depth, so one injury can just crush you. Or one rookie suddenly breaking out could rocket them forward. Teams like CHI or MTL could easily have a lot of things break right and be at like 85 points, or just have one or two things fall wrong and be at 55 points.
Yeah if Bedard goes down, Chicago is back in the San Jose tier, but M.E. is right, it cant be understated just how much garbage the Hawks had on their roster last year. The backend alone had Zaitsev, Megna and Tinordi ( who makes Zaitsev look good). Brodie and Martinez aren't like awesome, but they are functional NHL D, and they buy the team a year their kids. A top 4 a year from now of Levshunov, Vlasic, Korchinski, and Jones could be like, damn good.

Soderstrom was also one of the worst goalies in the NHL, Mrazek/Broissoit ought to keep them competitive.

Why would that be my assumption when they weren't bottom 3 last year? I didn't say anything about the Habs getting worse. Everything I've said has been about the Hawks getting better. They've gotten a lot better.

Bertuzzi(Foligno)-Bedard-Kurashev
Hall(Beauvillier)-Dickinson-Teravainen(Johnson)
Foligno(Anderson)-Reichel-Mikheyev(Raddysh)
Athanasiou(Johnson)-Donato-Smith(Entwhistle)

Vlasic-Brodie (Zaitsev)
Korchinski-Murphy
Martinez(Megna)-Jones

Brossoit (Soderblom)
Mrazek

They've upgraded everywhere. They needed to of course, but they did it. That's an entirely functioning professional lineup now, not a tank roster. Montreal might be a bit better than last year, but they're still in the "learning how to win games" phase of development. It was an undertalented roster last year that added nothing in the off season. All of the development is going to have to come in house, which really means from Slaf, Frodo, Newhook...maybe Hutson if he's NHL ready and Guhle. Which is an okay group of young guys but really just okay.

The main source of improvement is hopefully an healthy Dach.

Back