• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Good. Makes NHL so much more exciting. The "Unwritten rule" stuff with offersheets is a joke.
And an offersheet can happen to a team other than the Leafs I guess?

Usually when these things are reported, it means the player agreed to them. No reason for those guys to not want to sign for that, whether they match or not.
just seems like an important detail that ought to be included in this reporting...

just seems like an important detail that ought to be included in this reporting...

The offer sheet is only official when a player signs them. In theory, GMs could be sending out offer sheets like they're going out of style, but it's the players that aren't signing them, so nothing is official.

The 7 day clock starts for the original team to match after a player signs an offer sheet.

I think it probably works like this:

Player/agent receive an offer sheet from another team
Player/agent use the offer as leverage in contract negotiations, with a threat to sign
if team drags feet, player signs sheet
offersheet is reported

The offer sheet is only official when a player signs them. In theory, GMs could be sending out offer sheets like they're going out of style, but it's the players that aren't signing them, so nothing is official.

The 7 day clock starts for the original team to match after a player signs an offer sheet.
I know, and its still not clear to me whether Broberg and Holloway actually signed...

upon further cursory digging, looks like neither player has signed any offer sheet yet. they've just been 'tendered'.
so actually based on the wording of the articles, appears as though the opposite is true. the players have signed/accepted the offer sheets. I don't know why that detail is not being reported...

I think that's a media misconception or choosing their words carefully. If the players haven't signed the offer sheet, then there's no reason for the 7-day window. Without a signed offer sheet, there's nothing to start a formal process. Otherwise, teams would gang up on players and just "send" an offer sheet for bare minimum that the player doesn't have to sign, and the other GM could match it without the player having any say-so.

so actually based on the wording of the articles, appears as though the opposite is true. the players have signed/accepted the offer sheets. I don't know why that detail is not being reported...
like, 'tendered' an offer sheet is ridiculous wording.

the definition of "tender" the verb is "offer or present something formally". if the players have accepted/signed the offer sheets, that's the wrong fucking terminology to be using.

but the articles say Edmonton has a week to match or accept the compensation. which implies the offer sheets have not only been tendered, but accepted by the players.

as runninglow accurately notes, random offer sheets don't usually get reported on. but the way the Blues offer sheets has been reported is just downright misleading in my view. ridiculous.

I think that's a media misconception or choosing their words carefully. If the players haven't signed the offer sheet, then there's no reason for the 7-day window. Without a signed offer sheet, there's nothing to start a formal process. Otherwise, teams would gang up on players and just "send" an offer sheet for bare minimum that the player doesn't have to sign, and the other GM could match it without the player having any say-so.
yah this is the source of my confusion. media is portraying the offer sheets as having been "tendered", which is just the incorrect terminology. if Edmonton has seven days to make a decision, clearly the players accepted/signed the offer sheets. that should be what's reported.

a team 'tendering' an offer sheet is not newsworthy or super relevant.

Back