• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

I think the driver he was passing was just moving over to the left to give the Gaudreau's room. The idiot viewed this as that driver trying to block him from passing on the left so he instead slammed on the gas pass him on the right.
That is how I understand it as well.

It makes no sense based on how the nhl calculates its hard cap for deferral to reduce cap hit. But clearly it’s allowed and ya eff u pridham for never doing this.

There's a risk to the player on long term deferred payments but this one is only a year. Makes sense.

This is the same concept applied to Ohtani's MLB contract. The headline deal is 10 years $700 million but for luxury tax valuation the deferrment of most of the money reduces it to just over $40 million per for each of the 10 years of the deal.

The Canes just scratched the surface here, some other team and player will surely push the envelope now.

This is the same concept applied to Ohtani's MLB contract. The headline deal is 10 years $700 million but for luxury tax valuation the deferrment of most of the money reduces it to just over $40 million per for each of the 10 years of the deal.

The Canes just scratched the surface here, some other team and player will surely push the envelope now.
Bobby Bonilla first, as the article mentioned

One of the most profitable deferred contracts was probably Mario Lemieux.

He turned $26M of unpaid deferred salary into an ownership stake in the Pens when they went bust. Then eventually sold that ownership stake for $350M.

i think there are probably legal disincentives for Canadian teams. If you treat it as a true deferral then you need to report the income (and pay taxes) in the year the deferred income was earned. So basically the player needs to pay ~35k out of pocket per 100k deferred (~60% their income is earned in Canada at a marginal rate of 50+%).

The alternative is to effectively treat the deferred payments as a pension but that’s a huge headache to deal with administratively under Canadian laws b

Back