• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

If either team screwed their team going forward based on their reaction to those playoffs, it wasn't the leafs.
The Habs didn't do anything after that run. Price and Weber were done and the whole thing fell apart. It's the Leafs who, to this day, keep running it back with the same core players who show us year after year that they can't or won't elevate their play when it matters most.

Churning through coaches, GM's, and washed-up players with supposed "grit" or "character" (usually guys who underachieved elsewhere and also never won shit like Thornton or Marleau) won't change the results. Unless or until the core gets messed with, the results will not change.

If either team screwed their team going forward based on their reaction to those playoffs, it wasn't the leafs.
Zeke you will never be gift wrapped an opportunity like this

Your opponent was inferior and your up 3-1 , WTF more do you want

Habs had no business making the playoffs , would of been a decade of missed playoffs in a regular world

The shit hit the fan when a 24th place team was given a playoff lifeline , team was headed for a total gut job

Nobody goes from the finals to the first pick in the draft a year later

I get the injured and departures but this was smoke and mirrors but the team played their ass off and milked every ounce left

I think Zeke's point is that the interrupted/delayed rebuild fucked the Habs future more than losing fucked the Leafs future and I'd generally agree.

It caused you guys to lock in a bag of terrible contracts rather than dump salaries and you went from a likely top 5 pick in a pretty good draft to 31st overall. Your rebuild would look a bunch more dangerous with one of Power, Beniers, MacTavish, Hughes, Guenther, etc

From a Leaf standpoint, it kind of exposed our GM/Coach combination at the time as shit, and started our stealth teardown (Only 5 roster players remain from that Leaf team, and at least 1 of those 2 is likely gone after this year). If the Leafs end up winning anything in the Matthews era, the Habs loss will probably be looked at as an inflection point where the Dubas version of the build first started getting real scrutiny.

2021 Offseason

MTL signs Ducharme as head coach for 3yrs

MTL trades 1st & 2nd for C.Dvorak

$7.9m x8 for Nick Suzuki
$4.5m x3 for Mike Hoffman
$3.5m x4 for David Savard
$3.4m x4 for Joel Armia
$1.7m x3 for Jake Evans

I think Zeke's point is that the interrupted/delayed rebuild fucked the Habs future more than losing fucked the Leafs future and I'd generally agree.

It caused you guys to lock in a bag of terrible contracts rather than dump salaries and you went from a likely top 5 pick in a pretty good draft to 31st overall. Your rebuild would look a bunch more dangerous with one of Power, Beniers, MacTavish, Hughes, Guenther, etc

From a Leaf standpoint, it kind of exposed our GM/Coach combination at the time as shit, and started our stealth teardown (Only 5 roster players remain from that Leaf team, and at least 1 of those 2 is likely gone after this year). If the Leafs end up winning anything in the Matthews era, the Habs loss will probably be looked at as an inflection point where the Dubas version of the build first started getting real scrutiny.
Good post but chances are we were not netting HUGO without Covid

Ownership might of hired another useless francophone to keep kicking the can the road after our 24th place finish

I dont think talks were in the works at that time for a total rebuild and philosophical change at the GM spot

Good post but chances are we were not netting HUGO without Covid

Dunno if they've done enough to consider this both positive and a necessity. He's better than Bergevin/Timmins, probably, sure. But you're in year 4 of his regime and I see a mediocre-ish rebuild with no apparent end in sight.

Dunno if they've done enough to consider this both positive and a necessity. He's better than Bergevin/Timmins, probably, sure. But you're in year 4 of his regime and I see a mediocre-ish rebuild with no apparent end in sight.

Yep. The easy part is behind them. Time will tell if HuGo are better than average management

2021 Offseason

MTL signs Ducharme as head coach for 3yrs

MTL trades 1st & 2nd for C.Dvorak

$7.9m x8 for Nick Suzuki
$4.5m x3 for Mike Hoffman
$3.5m x4 for David Savard
$3.4m x4 for Joel Armia
$1.7m x3 for Jake Evans
Bergevin would have done all that no matter what. He was never interested in rebuilding. That's why he got canned.

I said it before , after the 2025/26 season is when HUGO has to decide what further action is needed

First 4 years was tearing it down , and youth development

Back