• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Let's see what we've got first.

2.01xga/60 so far for keefe. Held both teams below their season xgf/60 average.

The Toronto media will continue to latch onto every 2 on 1 or good chance against as proof that we can't defend. If our numbers are good, they'll credit Freddy.

Only 6 more years after this one for Carey Price?
I don't want to see Andersen get some massive long-term deal until his late 30's.

I'm not too worried about Dubas over valuing a good but not great goalie on the wrong end of his prime. I think we'll see us trade from our depth at other positions to bring in a legit tandem goalie by this upcoming summer and use that tandem goalie to help transition a kid in full time when Freddy is allowed to walk at the end of his deal. The league seems to be waking up to the value of goalie tandems over 60+ game starters that aren't proper elite.

Yeah, I fully expect Freddie is gonzo at the end of his current deal. The team can’t afford to pay their starter significantly more, and Dubas isn’t going to want to tie himself to an aging above-average NHL starter on a long-term deal.

On the flip-side, I expect Freddie will be looking to parlay his Toronto notoriety into the final, big-money long-term deal that’ll set him up for the rest of his life. Particularly if he has playoff success before he’s done here.

Arvidsson out 4-6 weeks and Bortuzzo will only get 2 games at best

That second shot was clear intent

Arvidsson out 4-6 weeks and Bortuzzo will only get 2 games at best

That second shot was clear intent

Shit like this is one of the only reasons that "heavy hockey" still wins at all. The NHL is terrible at defending it's players and allows goon shit like this to injure high talent players.

If the NHL starting properly penalizing non hockey, intent to injure plays like that, they would go away.

Shit like this is one of the only reasons that "heavy hockey" still wins at all. The NHL is terrible at defending it's players and allows goon shit like this to injure high talent players.

If the NHL starting properly penalizing non hockey, intent to injure plays like that, they would go away.

I have been saying that for the past 3 years.

No I dont believe that heavy hockey includes crosscheck from behind.

But I would be a fool if I didnt believe that players use that as a means of intimidation or as a means of controlling the opposition.

Until the league gets the NHLPA onside with this type of hit, then it will continue to chase its tail until it is put into a cupboard and forgotten.

Gretzky, lemieux, hull, bossy and many many more have had their careers changed from cross checks to the back when they were in a vulnerable position.

For all the education and experience that burke, parrots and others have, hey sure dont get it with protecting the talent.

Only 4 games for Bortuzzo. The NHL is a joke

The league should differentiate between hockey plays that go dangerously sideways and non hockey plays that are intent to injure. The latter should come with a penalty that is equivalent to the games missed by the injured player as the minimum penalty. If the player causes a career ending injury, they can appeal the suspension at the end of that season. Clearly the idea of missing 4 games and paying out 67K isn't stopping these guys from doing this shit.

Make it so the guy with intent to injure is suspended for at least as long as the injured guy is out. That would crack down on shit in a jiffy.

I think it will take awhile for the usual players to recognize and refrain from these deliberate attempts to injure.

I dont think a very large majority of the players today, would even think about initiating an aggressive play to injure someone.

But something has to give.

The idea posted earlier about making the suspension as long as the injury would be a wonderful idea.
But let's go one step further .....

If you are found to commit an offence which is deemed predatory, you should receive the same amount of time the players lost, plus 5 games.

If the player does not miss any games, the minimum penalty a player can receive is 5 games.

Also, if a players penalized with a deliberate attempt to injure ..... the team receives a substantial financial penalty, as well, the offending team gets a 5 minute major as well as a two minute major to be served consecutively. So the offending team will be down 2 men for the full 2 minutes and an extra 3 minutes will still be served to it conclusion.

Maybe that would get their attention.

The league should differentiate between hockey plays that go dangerously sideways and non hockey plays that are intent to injure. The latter should come with a penalty that is equivalent to the games missed by the injured player as the minimum penalty. If the player causes a career ending injury, they can appeal the suspension at the end of that season. Clearly the idea of missing 4 games and paying out 67K isn't stopping these guys from doing this shit.
That's right. Give the idiot 4 games for the first crosscheck ... which was kinda, sorta a hockey play that went over the line, and then give him a separate 10 (or whatever) for the second crosscheck, which is where he tried to put a guy in the hospital because he was angry that the ref caught the first one. There's no place in sports, let alone hockey, for that crap. It's past time this league started to act like they actually know that.

This shit has been going on forever. The issue is at the top -- meaning, owners and their reps running the league. Until they're held accountable, nothing will change. They'd rather enjoy their time crushing former players in court.

Also, the NHLPA needs to stop protecting the players who assault members of the NHLPA. If you give Bortuzzo the 10+ games he deserves, the PA would appeal it. They keep "protecting" the perpetrator instead of the victim.

To be fair, they are required to represent their players. That's like saying defense lawyers shouldn't exist.

Isnt the point of the PA to protect both? Not quite along the same lines as a defense lawyer

Back