• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Yeesh Bruins just signed Coyle for 6 years at 5.25 per. See now when AJ and Kappy become UFAs they'll get that and potentially more. That's when you walk away and hope you can fill from within. Depth middle sixers at 3.5-4? Sure. Any more than that and I become real cautious. Solid enough middle sixer but he's probably no more than a 45 point player (and we all know how quickly these guys tend to decline). He's probably worth what he got and I recognize that the Bruins can afford to sign these depth guys to bigger contracts because their top guns are on good contracts, but it's not great cap allocation for any elite team.

Last edited:
I mean, on the one hand, that seems like an overpayment for Coyle, and generally I think it's a terrible idea to pay middle-six guys real money.

On the other hand, for the next four years, Pastrnak & Marchand combined will be making about $1-1.5M more per season than Auston Matthews, John Tavares or Mitch Marner will each be making on their own. To go along with Bergeron making Willy Nylander money for the next three years.

So I suppose that gives you the luxury of "over-spending" in other areas.

Yeesh Bruins just signed Coyle for 6 years at 5.25 per. See now when AJ and Kappy become UFAs they'll get that and potentially more. That's when you walk away and hope you can fill from within. Depth middle sixers at 3.5-4? Sure. Any more than that and I become real cautious. Solid enough middle sixer but he's probably no more than a 45 point player (and we all know how quickly these guys tend to decline). He's probably worth what he got and I recognize that the Bruins can afford to sign these depth guys to bigger contracts because their top guns are on good contracts, but it's not great cap allocation for any elite team.

Really underlines the importance in pulling good middle 6 forwards out of the draft and off of the scrap heap. If you can draft and develop a bag of AJ, Moore, Leivo, trade for Kappy, Kerfoot, Hyman, and sign guys like Spezza, Aberg, Soupy...then you don't have to overpay guys like Coyle to have depth behind your studs.

Patrick O'Sullivan tweeted out that he experienced a ton of abuse under his first NHL coach.

Current Hawks assistant Marc Crawford

Lot more stuff going to come out I'm sure. Lots of problems in hockey that people in this country don't like to confront, IMO.

Lot more stuff going to come out I'm sure. Lots of problems in hockey that people in this country don't like to confront, IMO.

+1

I didn't play high level hockey at all (highest level was midget A) and some of the shit I've seen is ridiculous. Hockey culture was a shitty, shitty culture for decades.

+1

I didn't play high level hockey at all (highest level was midget A) and some of the shit I've seen is ridiculous. Hockey culture was a shitty, shitty culture for decades.
The worst of my abuse came when I was like 12 years old. Alcoholic coach that reeked of booze every game and practice decided he didn't like me. That was a fun season.

Another one of my coaches was a cop. He's now in jail for murdering his mistress. Probably the scariest season of my life. Eventually he got banned from coaching but it went on too long. I was fucking five years old and I'll never forget some of that.

The worst of my abuse came when I was like 12 years old. Alcoholic coach that reeked of booze every game and practice decided he didn't like me. That was a fun season.

Another one of my coaches was a cop. He's now in jail for murdering his mistress. Probably the scariest season of my life. Eventually he got banned from coaching but it went on too long. I was fucking five years old and I'll never forget some of that.

Yeah, that's about right. The midget AAA coach of the program I played for growing up crashed a car full of Swedish 16 yr olds while he was shit faced and had them all out drinking with him that had come to Canada to play for the year.

I had a concussion ignored, was accused of being a pussy and then benched when I wouldn't play and threatened physically after my mum complained to the GTHL head office about it. 14 yrs old man.

That's shit, man.

And everything is kinda set up in a way where the expectation is that "good Canadian kids" dutifully do everything the coach says and if you speak about it, you're a problem child.

Dad played a couple years in the OHA for the Marlboros and three years of pro hockey and he definitely had some fucked up stories. His whole post hockey life was non stop mental health facilities and rehabs... and it seemed he'd meet a fellow pro hockey player at every single one.

Yeah, that's about right. The midget AAA coach of the program I played for growing up crashed a car full of Swedish 16 yr olds while he was shit faced and had them all out drinking with him that had come to Canada to play for the year.

I had a concussion ignored, was accused of being a pussy and then benched when I wouldn't play and threatened physically after my mum complained to the GTHL head office about it. 14 yrs old man.
Ah the ol "be tougher you pussy" abuse thing. Im pretty tall but was always a skill guy and never had much interest in smashing my body against other bodies. I hit when I needed to but it wasn't something I felt I needed to do often. I'm not ashamed to admit I was in tears during many games after taking verbal and physical abuse from a particular coach for not playing like Darcy Tucker of 2002.

Why do i feel like Bob Hartley is a lock to be one of those guys?
Also credit to Rod BrindAmour for saying the Peters thing happened and not deflecting

That's shit, man.

And everything is kinda set up in a way where the expectation is that "good Canadian kids" dutifully do everything the coach says and if you speak about it, you're a problem child.

Dad played a couple years in the OHA for the Marlboros and three years of pro hockey and he definitely had some fucked up stories. His whole post hockey life was non stop mental health facilities and rehabs... and it seemed he'd meet a fellow pro hockey player at every single one.
Problem is many hockey parents don't help. Mine were great but the Paul Marner hockey dad thing is very very common. There were at least five of those types on every team I've ever played on.

Between that and abusive coaches a lot of these kids never had a chance.

That's shit, man.

That sucks.

It's a broken, broken culture that produces broken people and I'm fucking thrilled that it's starting to change.

Problem is many hockey parents don't help. Mine were great but the Paul Marner hockey dad thing is very very common. There were at least five of those types on every team I've ever played on.

Between that and abusive coaches a lot of these kids never had a chance.

For a couple years i used to work at a rink and come tournament time even i could see some sick shit with hockey parents

Lot of the old school hockey folks will call this "being snowflakes", rather than just "recognizing we did damaging shit that's led to mental health issues, substance abuse and suicides and... correcting the behavior"

Back