• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

"Some?" I believe that was one.

That said... we've really had a lot of success vs the Bruins for a long time. I don't think anyone would have claimed we were the better team... but the Bruins wouldn't be the team I feared the most. We've just had too much success against them to really fear them.

Hell even tonight... our goaltending was just brutal. They scored a couple legit goals, but for the most part the goaltending was brutal. That said, the team has been completely flat for the past week or two.

Yep, the "not worried about the Bruins" stuff was mostly coming from Habsy, as I recall. Still though, as much as you objected to my blanket statement, you're doubling down on those same sentiments all the same right afterwards.

And it'd be one thing if that confidence was based on recent history. But when the Bruins and Habs haven't met in the playoffs since 2014, it seems kind of silly. There would be, what? Two current Habs and 5-6 current Bruins left from that series?

I can see how you’d feel that way. I read a lot of crap here about the Leafs that might make me want to see the Leafs fail but when put into context of my Bruins hatred? It’s not even close. **** the Bruins.

Yeah, we're on the same page there. There's a shortage of real hatred in the Toronto/Montreal "rivalry" at the moment. Among the actual players especially, but also among the fans. It's more of a fun historical rivalry at this point than a real one. If you're a Leaf fan in Toronto, you almost certainly know at least a couple of Hab fans, so the Toronto/Montreal games are mostly about bragging rights.

The goddamn Bruins though? Fuck them. I probably hate them every bit as much as I hated the Sens back in the late 90's/early 00's.

How the hell does Bergevin still have a job?

Closing in on a decade now of utter incompetence. Hasn't come close to contention and has no elite talent anywhere on the team or in the system. Refuses to spend to the cap, but still somehow has an awful cap situation with mostly awful contracts.

He’s on year 8 of his 5 year plan.

If Babs coached in Boston that line would never spend a second together.
We've been holding our guys back more than any organization. time to play them a lot and together. It pisses me off we've wasted so much time with The Cock's garbage

well, there's not enough puck to go around for all of them.

He’s on year 8 of his 5 year plan.
Montreal's rule of a GM needing French is killing them. There's less francophone involved in hockey than ever. It's only going to become a smaller pool going forward.
It's a shame the organization with the greatest history has by far the smallest pool of coaches and Gms to choose from.

"Some?" I believe that was one.

That said... we've really had a lot of success vs the Bruins for a long time. I don't think anyone would have claimed we were the better team... but the Bruins wouldn't be the team I feared the most. We've just had too much success against them to really fear them.

Hell even tonight... our goaltending was just brutal. They scored a couple legit goals, but for the most part the goaltending was brutal. That said, the team has been completely flat for the past week or two.

i also have no fear of the bruins

i think so much of this comes down to minor hockey being divorced from school hockey.

unlike every other sport.

i think so much of this comes down to minor hockey being divorced from school hockey.

unlike every other sport.

Which sports other than basketball and football are associated with school sports? Soccer, tennis, golf etc. Have no spot in school sports.

Which sports other than basketball and football are associated with school sports? Soccer, tennis, golf etc. Have no spot in school sports.

well, i'm talking about the pro team sports.

and that includes pro soccer in north america, which pretty much always depends on going through a college program.

I would love to see the Habs get the next Beliveau. Be great for the franchise, great for the league, great for the province.

Nahh, fuck that.

The Habs have already had an embarrassment of riches when it comes to the superstar players they've had on their team. They don't need another.

And while I do genuinely like most of the Hab fans that come over to the Leaf board to visit, that doesn't get in the way of me wanting to see Montreal's Cup drought extend well past 50 years, just like ours.

Though I don't want to see them consistently hopeless, since seeing the Leafs face/beat Montreal in a playoff series is on the bucket list.

I would love to see the Habs get the next Beliveau. Be great for the franchise, great for the league, great for the province.

Well, Montreal could always simply buy the entire league that the next Belliveau plays in, and then proclaim it a professional league, and call up the next Bellieveau... just like they did with the first Bellieveau

Nahh, **** that.

The Habs have already had an embarrassment of riches when it comes to the superstar players they've had on their team. They don't need another.

And while I do genuinely like most of the Hab fans that come over to the Leaf board to visit, that doesn't get in the way of me wanting to see Montreal's Cup drought extend well past 50 years, just like ours.

Though I don't want to see them consistently hopeless, since seeing the Leafs face/beat Montreal in a playoff series is on the bucket list.

I want to see a Leafs/Habs playoff series too. Many of them, actually. I always liked the Habs until I met this one guy here in LA who is a Habs fan and is infuriatingly obnoxious. The kind of guy who texts you bright and early the day after a loss to laugh and call the Leafs crap, but then is nowhere to be found when the Habs are floundering. Haven't heard a peep from him in around a week now.

But as for superstar players...I'm trying to think of who their last superstar player would have been.

I want to see a Leafs/Habs playoff series too. Many of them, actually. I always liked the Habs until I met this one guy here in LA who is a Habs fan and is infuriatingly obnoxious. The kind of guy who texts you bright and early the day after a loss to laugh and call the Leafs crap, but then is nowhere to be found when the Habs are floundering. Haven't heard a peep from him in around a week now.

There are a lot of Hab fans that were born and raised in Toronto, and this is a pretty good description of what a lot of the ones I've encountered are like.

But as for superstar players...I'm trying to think of who their last superstar player would have been.

It'd probably be Patrick Roy. So it's been a pretty nice dry spell for them so far.

Subban did win a Norris.

Ahh, fair point.

Subban had a good four-year run in Montreal where he was one of the best defensemen in the league, so he qualifies.

Technically, you could argue Hart trophy winner Carey Price does too, but it was a much shorter run at the top for him.

well, i'm talking about the pro team sports.

and that includes pro soccer in north america, which pretty much always depends on going through a college program.

Virtually 0 of the top players go through a college system in north american soccer.

Back