• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

I can't ever move pat that show Bernier put on after beating the Leaf when he a with the Canucks. hat an asshole.

With all the frustration that comes with being a Leafs fan, imagine being a Habs fan right now. That Price contract is all kinds of terrible. Franchise-killing contract.

With all the frustration that comes with being a Leafs fan, imagine being a Habs fan right now. That Price contract is all kinds of terrible. Franchise-killing contract.
I wish it was currently a problem... but being $8m short of the cap, that contract ain't killing shit. Apparently the Habs aren't a cap team anymore... haven't been for a couple years.

I wish it was currently a problem... but being $8m short of the cap, that contract ain't killing shit. Apparently the Habs aren't a cap team anymore... haven't been for a couple years.

That's even worse. Molson and Eugene are not that different, it seems.

Weber shouldn't be a problem. There's no way he plays out his contract. He'll play 2 more years after this year... maybe the 3rd one at $3m. But he's not playing the final 2 seasons for $1M.

If Bergevin had the balls for it, he'd force the Preds to take him back this year or next. That way they could make sure he ends up on the LTIR rather than retiring and destroying their team.

Weber shouldn't be a problem. There's no way he plays out his contract. He'll play 2 more years after this year... maybe the 3rd one at $3m. But he's not playing the final 2 seasons for $1M.

If Bergevin had the balls for it, he'd force the Preds to take him back this year or next. That way they could make sure he ends up on the LTIR rather than retiring and destroying their team.
Preds don't really have much of a team.

Their window is closed, the cap recapture would only make them tanking all that much easier.

There's a couple of ways that the Weber contract could really screw over the Habs. If Weber decides he doesn't like money and retires, then there would be cap recapture penalties (though obviously the Preds would take the brunt of them). That seems unlikely, obviously.

Or if he insists on continuing to play past the point where he's useful or worth anything close to his cap hit, that'll hurt too.

Otherwise, it seems obvious that when he's ready to retire he's just going to go on LTIR. And the league will take no issue with it. They let the Blackhawks get away with claiming Hossa had developed an allergy to hockey equipment the exact year his contract dropped from $4M to $1M. It helps too that Weber's been beat up and surgically repaired a few times in his career. So he'll even have legitimate injuries to point to.

There's a couple of ways that the Weber contract could really screw over the Habs. If Weber decides he doesn't like money and retires, then there would be cap recapture penalties (though obviously the Preds would take the brunt of them). That seems unlikely, obviously.

Or if he insists on continuing to play past the point where he's useful or worth anything close to his cap hit, that'll hurt too.

Otherwise, it seems obvious that when he's ready to retire he's just going to go on LTIR. And the league will take no issue with it. They let the Blackhawks get away with claiming Hossa had developed an allergy to hockey equipment the exact year his contract dropped from $4M to $1M. It helps too that Weber's been beat up and surgically repaired a few times in his career. So he'll even have legitimate injuries to point to.
The cap recapture wouldn't hurt the Habs at all. If he insists on playing out the contract but sucks... that's the only way to "hurt" the Habs. That seems very unlikely though.

The cap recapture wouldn't hurt the Habs at all. If he insists on playing out the contract but sucks... that's the only way to "hurt" the Habs. That seems very unlikely though.

It would hurt a little, but not much.

And like I mentioned, it's the most unlikely way the Weber contract could hurt the Habs. Weber would have to know he'd both be leaving money on the table and hurting his two former teams if he retired, so I don't see why he'd do it.

The bigger danger is Weber wanting to hang on and continue playing too long, but I don't know whether that's likely either.

Back