• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Really?

See why I'm generally not into building around Americans now? Matty better not disappoint.

One guy not wanting to play in the Canada is support for you generally not being into building around Americans?

Blake Wheeler has been with Winnipeg for 9 seasons and is signed until like 38. Does that negate Trouba? Are we neutral on Americans now?

From what I recall, Trouba wanting to play in the States was linked to his wife wanting to carry out her career as a doctor there.

From what I recall, Trouba wanting to play in the States was linked to his wife wanting to carry out her career as a doctor there.

Really?
See why I'm generally not into building the Leafs medical staff around American doctors now now?

It is support. It exactly illustrates my concern.

It won't happen in every case, of course, but it will happen.

Obviously I love Matty. I've loved a lot of US players we had over the years like JVR and Gardiner. But it's dangerous to have one be the core player. If Matty pulls a Tavares in four years, we're in a lot of trouble.

Obviously I love Matty. I've loved a lot of US players we had over the years like JVR and Gardiner. But it's dangerous to have one be the core player. If Matty pulls a Tavares in four years, we're in a lot of trouble.
He seems to like it here based on past comments and we drafted him, so I’m pretty confident he’ll stay long term, but it does slightly concern me a Latino owns his hometown Coyoes now. Still, I don’t think he leaves.

Tavares only "pulled a Tavares" becasue the Isles were horrendous year in and year out. If they were good, he'd never have left.

He totally would’ve left for us regardless of how NYI was faring.

Unless we were terrible, in which case he’d have stayed or left for some other team.

He even admitted he changed his mind basically in the last few days of the UFA period. He had all intentions of resigning until he met with Dubas

The majority of star players re-sign. If the Leafs keep winning, and he keeps getting god-like treatment, he'll resign.

This is a non-issue.

If the Leafs can win a cup before his deal is up he may be enticed to go home and try and bring one to Arizona but even then I think the probability in that scenario would be low.

Not really. By all accounts this was specifically linked to family members who may have been unable to cross the border due to previous convictions.

So not an american thing so much as a family situation thing.

Glad you’re owning your anti-american bias now at least

If you're the type of person who can enjoy a Sabres superfan having an on-air radio meltdown, have a listen. Rage quits at the end when the tears start.

He takes a while to really get going.

Can you imagine what real, die-hard Sabres fans must be going through?

Imagine if, instead of turning things around rapidly after Shanny got here, all of our top picks except for Matthews turned out to be flat-out busts at worst or disappointments at best, the team kept signing clown-shoes albatross UFA contracts and the team kept sucking shit and missing the playoffs every year? By this point, I probably would have either rage-quit being a hockey fans myself, or gone stark raving mad.

If you're the type of person who can enjoy a Sabres superfan having an on-air radio meltdown, have a listen. Rage quits at the end when the tears start.

He takes a while to really get going.

tenor.gif

Okay guys. What is the perfect strategy to win a Cup right now? Because I haven't heard one. Tank for a year, two years? Three years.

I literally think with most teams needing stars to drive sheep into the pen and pay ridiculous, ticket prices, I don't think there is a perfect strategy.

I would call Dubas perfect cause he sure has some talent. But his backup goaltending situation, is not good at all.

What if Andersen went down with an injury? What then

I would love to hear if anyone out there has a billybean answer as to how to develop a powerhouse, and be in position to win Cups.

I know Kane is 31 But for me, coerce Chicago to trade for Marner and throw in Lehner and maybe a high end pick.

And go for a Cup.

Back