• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

You need to pack as much talent as possible under the salary cap, and have a group of guys willing to play for each other under the guidance of an intelligent coach. That's pretty much it.

Insane how talented Matty is, one goal off of the the Maurice Richard trophy.

I really think this kid is amazing, and wow, did we get burned by not securing him for more than five.

Such is life, we had Babcock as president at that time.

Hey Mindz, you are always right, but ONCE you weren't. Ain't no lineup for Babcock is there.

Still, you are my favourite poster on here, cause you are deep, you took over from BeLeafer and Zeke.

But heh, no lineup for Babcock bro.

Meh, I was more focused on the positive. He had a lot of good things to say after that, such as that Matthews is even better than 17 goals in 17 games and will figure out how to throw people off him physically.

Last edited:
What is the perfect strategy to win a Cup right now?

Talented core, preferably strong up the middle surrounded by productive, cheap depth and good goaltending. It's not style of play oriented, it's talent/depth oriented.

St Louis is probably the least purely talented group to win the Cup in a long time and even they had:

- A ppg 2-way #1 centre
- 60-70 pt decent 2 way #2 centre
- 35-40 goal winger
- 2 60-70 point wingers
- top 10 defenceman
- Another high end #2
- .927 goalie

That's a pretty good core. Not truly elite, but pretty rich in talent. That's the group with the least amount of high end talent that has won a cup in a while.

Trade is a disaster thus far.

I wonder how much $ Coyotees lose this year? They were losing reportedly 50 million per with a much lower payroll.

I think it worked out fine. Kuemper going down has killed them and it was 3 days after the deal went down

Pre Hall 5v5

Post Hall 5v5

Hall has 16pts in 18 games there. He came exactly as advertised

Talented core, preferably strong up the middle surrounded by productive, cheap depth and good goaltending. It's not style of play oriented, it's talent/depth oriented.

St Louis is probably the least purely talented group to win the Cup in a long time and even they had:

- A ppg 2-way #1 centre
- 60-70 pt decent 2 way #2 centre
- 35-40 goal winger
- 2 60-70 point wingers
- top 10 defenceman
- Another high end #2
- .927 goalie

That's a pretty good core. Not truly elite, but pretty rich in talent. That's the group with the least amount of high end talent that has won a cup in a while.

Nothing else matters unless that...

You cant outscore sh!tty goaltending for 16 wins.. you can't

I think it worked out fine. Kuemper going down has killed them and it was 3 days after the deal went down

Pre Hall 5v5

Post Hall 5v5

Hall has 16pts in 18 games there. He came exactly as advertised

#teamcancer

So in reading your all's comments. What would you do at trade deadline? Trade Barrie and give Lilly his big league shot.

We have to add prospects All of our prospects are pretty well up here on the big team.

We are still missing Rielly and Soup. And we have no decent backup imo.

If Freddy went down, hard, with say a groin issue. Would Dubas make a hard decision and trade away at the deadline etc?

No one has responded to my Chicago/Toronto trade proposal, do we trade a young stud in Marner, and get Lehner in return to get Patrick Kane?

The Leafs when they won Cups, made some made crazy deals, and they all worked out.

Maybe take a chapter in an old book. Andy Bathgate anyone(Patrick Kane). Btw, Bathgate delivered but never liked his time in Toronto all that much.

What would you do at trade deadline?

If you make any move, it's to trade Ceci to give Lilly his shot.

The bad eye test Tyson Barrie distaste that I keep seeing here is silly.

UK (under Keefe)
56% xGF (64% gf for those of you who don't like fancy stats...64% of goals scored when Tyson is on the ice, go in the opponents net)
2.37 P/60 All Strengths (1st among NHL defenders)
1.99 P/60 5v5 (2nd among NHL defenders)

So he's been an elite offensive defender since Keefe took over and he's way, way out scoring any defensive warts he has. Shelter him defensively and enjoy him for what he is.

The Leafs have scored 4.23 goals per 60 minutes (5 on 5) with him on the ice (again, since Keefe) and give up 2.49 goals per 60 minutes with him on the ice. It make not look pretty when he's defending, but his impact is undeniable.

Get a goalie who can push Anderson (Lehner ideally), move Ceci for anything, bring up Lilly.

Totally agree. Bower and Sawchuk.

But I don't know about Ceci. Some of the players on the team really like him.

Rely on him.

Now that we have Keefer I guess more of our discussion should be on goaltending. Keefer seems to get pretty much get the whole deal out there.

Back