• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League - 2024-25 Regular Season

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

They've got a better chance of getting over the hump than we do, sure. But they're still in a shit situation.

And I'm not a believer in their prospects. Not at all.

Point is their division stinks overall

6 teams are in a combo of either junk/retool/rebuild

Only Vegas is superior and they are about 2 years away from no longer being a contender

Go to the Central the Avs are the only true powerhouse as Blues/Hawks/Preds are not contenders anymore

They have some decent prospects and with cap flexibility and a flat cap , Holland needs to be smart

Getting elite skill is the hard part .......they have it

Since the Oilers are just as terrible as we are at drafting / developing and even less of an attractive destination for UFAs unless they significant overpay (see Lucic), they may have to bite the bullet this offseason and trade Leon for 2-3 lesser players just to get that depth they need

Since the Oilers are just as terrible as we are at drafting / developing and even less of an attractive destination for UFAs unless they significant overpay (see Lucic), they may have to bite the bullet this offseason and trade Leon for 2-3 lesser players just to get that depth they need

They just need to make smart decisions , you keep those 2 plus Nurse

Cant overpay Nuge and let Barrie walk

Unless Leon lands you a cant miss home run deal , he is going nowhere

They just need to make smart decisions , you keep those 2 plus Nurse

Cant overpay Nuge and let Barrie walk

Unless Leon lands you a cant miss home run deal , he is going nowhere
Easier said than done. One could argue that the last time the Oilers made a smart decision was trading for Pronger back in 2005 (McDavid / Leon were no-brainer draft picks). As well, there is no guarantee that Nuge comes back and, judging from his non-playoff performance so far, the Oilers might not want him back anyways.

They are in a tough spot, they have arguably the two best players in the world but do not appear anywhere close to a Cup contender and they are going to have do something soon before McDavid wants out.

Outside of trading Leon, their hope is trading picks / prospects for teams trying to shed cap and / or needing to move players rather than risk losing them for nothing in the upcoming expansion draft

Easier said than done. One could argue that the last time the Oilers made a smart decision was trading for Pronger back in 2005 (McDavid / Leon were no-brainer draft picks). As well, there is no guarantee that Nuge comes back and, judging from his non-playoff performance so far, the Oilers might not want him back anyways.

They are in a tough spot, they have arguably the two best players in the world but do not appear anywhere close to a Cup contender and they are going to have do something soon before McDavid wants out.

Outside of trading Leon, their hope is trading picks / prospects for teams trying to shed cap and / or needing to move players rather than risk losing them for nothing in the upcoming expansion draft

And thats my point about Nuge

You let him walk in an overpay , same as Barrie looking for a final payday

Those are 2 smart decisions you dont look back on

Its a flat cap there are bargains to be had

But hey, if you're Ken Holland and you know your defense and goaltending sucks, what's stopping ya from re-signing Mike fucking Smith and signing Tyson Barrie, trading for Dmitry Kulikov and extending Kris Russell.

What could possibly go wrong?
Smith somehow worked for them - though it would be funny if they go with him again next year

It is signing larson that should scare the oiler fans

wonder what is up with Klefbom

edmonton does have a few decent prospects coming but they will need to hit on them
broberg, bouchard, holloway

puljujarvi is a funny one - people think he had a great year - he had 5 more points than KK and he played with god mode mcdavid most of the year (and he is 2.5 years older)

Smith somehow worked for them - though it would be funny if they go with him again next year

It is signing larson that should scare the oiler fans

wonder what is up with Klefbom

edmonton does have a few decent prospects coming but they will need to hit on them
broberg, bouchard, holloway

puljujarvi is a funny one - people think he had a great year - he had 5 more points than KK and he played with god mode mcdavid most of the year (and he is 2.5 years older)
Signing Larson & RNH. Both of those are a big time No from me (age, inevitable decline, term + money of contract). I don't see how those contracts don't end up blowing up in their faces.

I don't like Broberg, Bouchard & Holloway are going to be NHLers but they won't be impact NHLers. Would like to be wrong, though. Raphael Lavoie's just not a good player to me, but best of luck to him. He got cut from a SEL team earlier this year before finding work in the second league.

Signing Mike Smith ended up working out for them, but Christ, they originally let him walk because they didn't want to re-sign him, only to re-sign him when they couldn't get anyone else.

I liked Nolan Patrick a lot at the time, but the injuries have derailed his career.

My guy, Simon Boisvert, had Makar & Heiskanen 1-2 in his 2017 rankings. He was 100% correct about Makar from day 1, Makar's the next great defenseman in hockey.

I liked Nolan Patrick a lot at the time, but the injuries have derailed his career.

My guy, Simon Boisvert, had Makar & Heiskanen 1-2 in his 2017 rankings. He was 100% correct about Makar from day 1, Makar's the next great defenseman in hockey.
Patrick was a very “safe” pick. Just not a very good one.

Signing Larson & RNH. Both of those are a big time No from me (age, inevitable decline, term + money of contract). I don't see how those contracts don't end up blowing up in their faces.

I don't like Broberg, Bouchard & Holloway are going to be NHLers but they won't be impact NHLers. Would like to be wrong, though. Raphael Lavoie's just not a good player to me, but best of luck to him. He got cut from a SEL team earlier this year before finding work in the second league.

Signing Mike Smith ended up working out for them, but Christ, they originally let him walk because they didn't want to re-sign him, only to re-sign him when they couldn't get anyone else.

Agreed on letting those 2 walk

Their kids just have to be effective not impactful

I think even McLeod will pan out

They simply needed a few year to wind some of the Baldy mess , not create more

Conference has too many shit or soon to be shit teams …...they will be fine

That’s why I traded draisaitl in a deal for him.

Patrick was a very “safe” pick. Just not a very good one.

You don't draft the safe Patrick with 2 major injuries at 16-17 and was nowhere ready to play hockey

One podcast I was listening too had one analyst say his career will be over by 23

He was rated as an Eric Staal type ….but fuk this is major embarrassing a gift wrapped # 2 pick and its a disaster

When pick 2-5 are stars ….that's a major kick in the nuts

I was never sold on Nico being a front liner either

You don't draft the safe Patrick with 2 major injuries at 16-17 and was nowhere ready to play hockey

One podcast I was listening too had one analyst say his career will be over by 23

He was rated as an Eric Staal type ….but fuk this is major embarrassing a gift wrapped # 2 pick and its a disaster

When pick 2-5 are stars ….that's a major kick in the nuts

I was never sold on Nico being a front liner either
wasnt patrick the obvious choice?
i cannot remember

but that draft is looking really good

wasnt patrick the obvious choice?
i cannot remember

but that draft is looking really good

Nico and Patrick were 1-2 in any order depending on publication but neither was a franchise changing star

Makar was the wildcard stud without the experience of playing in a top junior league , but needed time and to fill out

The Finn was talented but his offensive ceiling and PP QB abilities were questioned

EP was a rail thin string bean who was highly skilled but some questioned his transition to the NHL , and didn't produce in big tournaments .

Glass and Middlestaedt were mentioned as top 5 picks by some but EP was not ranked in the top 5

What a goal by Necas to tie the game.

I'm so jealous of the Carolina-Nashville series. The fans change everything.

Back