• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League - 2024-25 Regular Season

What I find baffling with The Charlatan's tenure here is how glaringly obvious the problems were for a full decade - A full fucking decade!! - and he did next to nothing to fix it.

The drafting & development were shit before he got here, seemed to have gotten a little bit better when they got Joel Bouchard, but it's still nothing to write home about.

You can argue about how The Charlatan's teams were built, fair or valid, but I don't think anyone would think that his work in terms of pro scouting or trades was anything short of good. How many trades did The Charlatan lose, if we're being fair? Even the one that was by far his worst, the Subban-Weber trade, ended not looking as bad because of the fluke run last season.

If I was forced to choose between The Charlatan, Chiarelli and Jim Benning to run my team, it's an easy call. I'd hire The Charlatan much faster than either of those two schmucks.

Most MB's moves when taken in isolation were fine, he lost the Sergachev-Drouin trade, and had one terrible UFA signing and that's about it. Mistakes were few and far between. However the team was always kind of directionless, without much of an identity, and while his trades and signings made us competitive for the most part, it never really seemed to be part of a long term plan or strategy.

Sakic? Missed playoffs 4x during his tenure (same period as MB), and his team pulls a Make Beliefs in the playoffs year after year … and will again this year

don’t know why this needs to be said but I’ll always take the guy who builds a team designed to contend (not just sneak into the playoffs) over multiple years.

That’s the fucking job description, Sal!

The rest is up to the players and Lady Luck.

By your twisted logic, we should have extended Bergevin in the summer for “outperforming” 30 of 31 GMs last yr.

don’t know why this needs to be said but I’ll always take the guy who builds a team designed to contend (not just sneak into the playoffs) over multiple years.

By your twisted logic, we should have extended Bergevin in the summer for “outperforming” 30 of 31 GMs last yr.
Bingo.

Doug Wilson has fallen off recently by disregarding all the things that made his team good/great, but he built a perennial contender in San Jose. The fact that they didn't win isn't an indictment on him.

If some of you want a little comical relief...

Google Kodak Black at the Panthers game.

glhf, make sure the kids ain't around.

No that’s not what I meant at all, a change was needed, with someone capable of articulating an actual vision for the team.

My only point being, there isn’t that much separating the other GMs. There are no McDavid’s of GM - albeit Stevie Y is starting to separate himself from the herd.

Most MB's moves when taken in isolation were fine, he lost the Sergachev-Drouin trade, and had one terrible UFA signing and that's about it. Mistakes were few and far between. However the team was always kind of directionless, without much of an identity, and while his trades and signings made us competitive for the most part, it never really seemed to be part of a long term plan or strategy.
bingo

Exactly , but put the resources in place to build the core first

Sharks , Ducks , Kings , Hawks all had a solid competitive run

No that’s not what I meant at all, a change was needed, with someone capable of articulating an actual vision for the team.

My only point being, there isn’t that much separating the other GMs. There are no McDavid’s of GM - albeit Stevie Y is starting to separate himself from the herd.

Solid teams make the right decisions

Stevie Y is doing a great job but common sense is his strength

He isnt signing Gallagher to a stupid contract or making a patch trade to salvage anything

He knows where his team is now , building a base and making moves to reflect his teams status

Thats where the Habs failed miserably ......no direction for decades

Thats the issue ....a fuken decade

There is no excuse for our issues that can be fixed

Its not a cap , language , weather , taxes , excuse
2012 - Need a #1 center
2013-2021 - Plekanec, Desharnais, Danault
2022 - Need a #1 center

A pathetic failure that Bergevin compounded year after year by doing next to nothing to address it.

Because there was no long term plan or strategy. Bergevin has only ever had one plan: Carey Price and the power of prayer. And the only articulated goal of this franchise since before Molson bought them has been to be just good enough to maybe get into a wild card spot. Institutionalized mediocrity is the plan and if mediocrity is your goal, Bergevin is the perfect GM for you. He is the king of the four quarters for a loonie type of trade.

Bingo.

Doug Wilson has fallen off recently by disregarding all the things that made his team good/great, but he built a perennial contender in San Jose. The fact that they didn't win isn't an indictment on him.
No, it's an indictment of Marleau and Thornton (both of whom wound up playing for the Leafs, with predictable results)

From a 2011 article in the Tampa Bay Times:

"When most fans go to the St. Pete Times Forum to watch the Lightning play, they see the crisp passes from Marty St. Louis, the goals by Steven Stamkos and the hits by Victor Hedman.

Many, though, fail to see the men who flip on the red goal light, attend to the penalty boxes and track the puck's every move in real time.

"We know we did a really good job," said Pat DeLorenzo Jr., "when nobody knows we exist."

Guess he didn't heed his own advice. People sure as hell know of his existence now.

Back