• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League - 2024-25 Regular Season

Why Marc Bergevin would be a highly sought after candidate for another GM position is beyond me. Support/consultant type postion like he has now sure, but anything more??? His resume in Montreal is hardly glowing and i would think he has had his day.

Having said that, I guess stranger things have happened. Old boys and all...

Why Marc Bergevin would be a highly sought after candidate for another GM position is beyond me. Support/consultant type postion like he has now sure, but anything more??? His resume in Montreal is hardly glowing and i would think he has had his day.

Having said that, I guess stranger things have happened. Old boys and all...
IMO ownership & management across the league appreciate the difficulty associated with being GM in Mtl - both in terms of media craziness and difficulty attracting assets due to a myriad of issues that don’t exist in most US markets

IMO ownership & management across the league appreciate the difficulty associated with being GM in Mtl - both in terms of media craziness and difficulty attracting assets due to a myriad of issues that don’t exist in most US markets

He trades well , give him the proper draft/development staff he would be fine

The difficulty issues are an excuse

This isnt Man U vs a 3rd tier system

What I find baffling with The Charlatan's tenure here is how glaringly obvious the problems were for a full decade - A full fucking decade!! - and he did next to nothing to fix it.

The drafting & development were shit before he got here, seemed to have gotten a little bit better when they got Joel Bouchard, but it's still nothing to write home about.

You can argue about how The Charlatan's teams were built, fair or valid, but I don't think anyone would think that his work in terms of pro scouting or trades was anything short of good. How many trades did The Charlatan lose, if we're being fair? Even the one that was by far his worst, the Subban-Weber trade, ended not looking as bad because of the fluke run last season.

If I was forced to choose between The Charlatan, Chiarelli and Jim Benning to run my team, it's an easy call. I'd hire The Charlatan much faster than either of those two schmucks.

What I find baffling with The Charlatan's tenure here is how glaringly obvious the problems were for a full decade - A full fucking decade!! - and he did next to nothing to fix it.

The drafting & development were shit before he got here, seemed to have gotten a little bit better when they got Joel Bouchard, but it's still nothing to write home about.

You can argue about how The Charlatan's teams were built, fair or valid, but I don't think anyone would think that his work in terms of pro scouting or trades was anything short of good. How many trades did The Charlatan lose, if we're being fair? Even the one that was by far his worst, the Subban-Weber trade, ended not looking as bad because of the fluke run last season.

If I was forced to choose between The Charlatan, Chiarelli and Jim Benning to run my team, it's an easy call. I'd hire The Charlatan much faster than either of those two schmucks.
Saying he’s only the third worst GM is not high praise.

Thats the issue ....a fuken decade

There is no excuse for our issues that can be fixed

Its not a cap , language , weather , taxes , excuse

The legendary Jim Nill and Chevaldayoff who were hired within same period have not fared any better - and Nill had a significant advantage given geography of his market in attracting players. Stars about to miss playoffs yet again.

The legendary Jim Nill and Chevaldayoff who were hired within same period have not fared any better - and Nill had a significant advantage given geography of his market in attracting players. Stars about to miss playoffs yet again.

Bent nose has done a great job of draft/development

Dallas has been brutal overall

sure, Nill has been mediocre but why is he suddenly the standard? Aim higher, Sal!

Saying he’s only the third worst GM is not high praise.
I'd argue that if The Charlatan didn't have a fatal flaw of treating prospects like shit, he's a top GM in the league.

However, we're in this situation because of that flaw.

sure, Nill has been mediocre but why is he suddenly the standard? Aim higher, Sal!
Sakic? Missed playoffs 4x during his tenure (same period as MB), and his team pulls a Make Beliefs in the playoffs year after year … and will again this year

Back