• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Carolina Hurricanes 2024 Summer Talk ... press the reset button?

$6.5 million AAV for Jaccob Slavin on an extension? That would be a massive discount relative to market and a major 'win' for the Canes future roster building efforts.

if true, that almost borders on agent malpractice unless Slavin specifically told his agent to leave money on the table in hopes that extra cap space allows the Canes to continue to deliver deep formidable rosters.

From what we seem to know about Jaccob Slavin and his life priorities, I guess we shouldn't be too surprised if that is really the AAV? You are not getting that level of discount from Skjei, Pesce, or Guentzel (and that is perfectly ok). It would be strange to see Slavin prioritize dollars, but he won't be doing his fellow NHLPA Dmen any favors by putting that comparable on the books.

If that's true, good on Slavo for doing the team a solid (although with the 8-year term how's it look when he's 38/39 making 6.5?) I think as long as they don't use it internally to set a team cap limit as to what they'll offer Skjei, etc... cause I can tell ya HE's getting more than 6.5.

If that's true, good on Slavo for doing the team a solid (although with the 8-year term how's it look when he's 38/39 making 6.5?) I think as long as they don't use it internally to set a team cap limit as to what they'll offer Skjei, etc... cause I can tell ya HE's getting more than 6.5.

If he ages like Burns is will be just fine. If he ages like me we’re screwed

in 8 years the cap is going to be much higher than it is now so by percentage of the cap this 6.5M (if that’s where he lands) probably won’t look too bad.

$6.5 million AAV for Jaccob Slavin on an extension? That would be a massive discount relative to market and a major 'win' for the Canes future roster building efforts.

if true, that almost borders on agent malpractice unless Slavin specifically told his agent to leave money on the table in hopes that extra cap space allows the Canes to continue to deliver deep formidable rosters.

From what we seem to know about Jaccob Slavin and his life priorities, I guess we shouldn't be too surprised if that is really the AAV? You are not getting that level of discount from Skjei, Pesce, or Guentzel (and that is perfectly ok). It would be strange to see Slavin prioritize dollars, but he won't be doing his fellow NHLPA Dmen any favors by putting that comparable on the books.
I think you nailed it on the head, Slavin seems like greed and milking something for every penny possible is the furthest thing from his mind or desire…the man is grateful for everything he has and earned and if he values the fit and life he has built here I guess that’s as important as anything for him and his family.

Canes hire Cam Abbott as head coach of the Chicago Wolves. It’s his first coaching job in North America. He was head coach of SHL Rogle from 2017-23. He won both the SHL and Champions League in the 21-22 season.

He played 4 seasons at Cornell from 2002-06 but was undrafted. In 2006-07, he played 1 game in the ECHl for 2 teams and 44 games in the Central Hockey League. He moved to Sweden for the 2008-09 season, playing 1 year for Rogle followed by 5 seasons at Lulea before moving into coaching.

Canes re-signed dman Ty Smith to a 1 year, 2 way contract. He gets $775k in the NHL, $200k in the AHL with a guaranteed minimum of $275k. He was acquired from the Pens along with Guentzel and played for their AHL team on loan the rest of the season.

Canes re-signed dman Ty Smith to a 1 year, 2 way contract. He gets $775k in the NHL, $200k in the AHL with a guaranteed minimum of $275k. He was acquired from the Pens along with Guentzel and played for their AHL team on loan the rest of the season.
Good business. They need at least one D in the AHL who can fill an NHL slot if needed. Smith ain't that good, but he gives them two call up options (along with Morrow, depending on how the big club's roster plays out).

Good business. They need at least one D in the AHL who can fill an NHL slot if needed. Smith ain't that good, but he gives them two call up options (along with Morrow, depending on how the big club's roster plays out).
Speaking of ain’t that good, Dylan Coghlan says hello. But he’s arbitration eligible, so the question is whether the Canes will qualify him. Not that Coghlan has a good case in arbitration, but you never know.

Thing is ... you'd have to go to darn close to a million dollars to qualify Coghlan. I can't think of a single reason you'd do that, but either Brind'Amour or somebody in the front office has a soft spot for the guy, so ... yeah.

Back