• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Carolina Hurricanes 2024 Summer Talk ... press the reset button?

Did they really say that? I just saw that he wanted to test free agency, but that’s just negotiation talk.
A couple of guys have said there's no way he resigns in Carolina, like it was an absolute zero chance kind of thing. They named twice three places most likely to get him. Carolina was never an option. But, hey, that's typical Canadian media.

8x$8 million is a BIG swing for a guy Guentzel's age, but he's a proven fit and you're not likely to replace Necas with a like for like kind of guy so ... makes sense. So long as everybody acknowledges up front that those last two or three seasons are going to need to be bought out or otherwise accounted for. This is where not having any bad contracts works in your favor.

8x$8 million is a BIG swing for a guy Guentzel's age, but he's a proven fit and you're not likely to replace Necas with a like for like kind of guy so ... makes sense. So long as everybody acknowledges up front that those last two or three seasons are going to need to be bought out or otherwise accounted for. This is where not having any bad contracts works in your favor.
But if the cap goes up decently over the first 5 years of that deal, $8M even for a declining asset is going to look a lot less bad.

It's not like the dude is 39.

It's not like the dude is 39.
No, but he'll be 37 by the end of that deal. How many guys his size are $8 million a year good past around 34 years old? A couple ... mostly generational talent guys, which he is not.

I would expect that in return for that 8 year term, the Canes would want to set that contract up so that a buyout near the end is easily navigated if necessary.

IE something like this for annual salaries:

$10 million
$10 million
$9 million
$9 million
$8 million
$7 million
$6 million
$5 million

(or something along those lines).

As for what to hope for from Guentzel, if he can be a reliable 30+goal 70+ point winger for Aho over at least each of the next 5 seasons then he would have earned this contract no matter what happens those final 3 seasons.

All that said, Guentzel isn't signed until he is signed. LeBrun just posted an article on the Athletic re-iterating the 8x$8 million but stating that Guentzel might want to go to market at least to see what is out there before signing with the Canes (I actually don't at all think Guentzel would think that way for a second, but I would expect his AGENT to want to do that).

LeBrun also stated the Canes are believed to have had discussions with Skjei and Pesce's agents in the past 24 hours. Pesce is going to market (which means goodbye Brett Pesce). Skjei is most likely going to market (but sounds like the Canes are not out of it yet).

Last edited:
$8 m a year for Guentzel is not that bad when you look at guys like Marner at over $10 M and climbing...Jake is likely an almost guarantee for 70 plus points a year the next few years...you pay a premium for that kind of production.

LeBrun also stated the Canes are believed to have had discussions with Skjei and Pesce's agents in the past 24 hours. Pesce is going to market (which means goodbye Brett Pesce). Skjei is most likely going to market (but sounds like the Canes are not out of it yet).
I think we all knew that Pesce was gone the second he hired his new hotshot agent. Fine. He's not been the same player for going on a season and a half now. Skjei is more concerning in the short term, but whether or not that's enough of a concern to blow the budget is above my pay grade. Carolina REALLY leans on that guy to eat minutes and provide a bit of offensive support. That won't be easily replaced.

But you were ok with a small goalie getting the same deal at the same age?
Goalies age differently ...

And you guys over-rate my position on these things. I'm fine with them doing something dumb and/or risky if it works. But I reserve the right to call it dumb and/or risky.

Friday Morning Pundits.... Guentzel camp asked Canes for 8 x $8 million and Canes agreed.

Friday afternoon Pundits.... Despite what we said earlier today, Guentzel is going to market and Vancouver is going to make Guentzel a massive offer

Saturday morning Pundits.... Tampa has opened up a huge amount of cap room to make a cannot refuse offer to UFA Jake Guentzel

Friday Morning Pundits.... Guentzel camp asked Canes for 8 x $8 million and Canes agreed.

Friday afternoon Pundits.... Despite what we said earlier today, Guentzel is going to market and Vancouver is going to make Guentzel a massive offer

Saturday morning Pundits.... Tampa has opened up a huge amount of cap room to make a cannot refuse offer to UFA Jake Guentzel
Yep, and Friedman is at the front of the line spreading those Tampa rumors about clearing cap space for Guentzel. Last time I checked Tampa has to get Hedman signed long term among other things.

If Guentzel and his agent want to play games and continue upping the ante to $9m and beyond it might be worth it to just say good luck!

Friedman gets a BUNCH of his info from the player agent community. Sometimes that dials him in really well ... sometimes not so much. Pretty clear that Jake's agent is playing him like a fiddle right now.

As long as I’ve been a Canes fan, we have always needed a winger to go with a center. Seems we always have a piece we like, but we’re never able to get two pieces that match…

The next deadline is today at 5 pm Eastern time. RFAs must receive a qualifying offer by then or they become UFAs.

Freaking Coghlan man

And why are people on the internet (not y'all) freaking out about not qualifying Comtois? He was here for five minutes and is a fringe player at best

Back