• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Carolina Hurricanes 2024 Summer Talk ... press the reset button?

Rumors of a Slavin extension are starting to percolate. Supposedly less than $7 million AAV, which would be astonishing.

I'm also hear that the Slavin deal was at least agreed in principle several weeks ago. Sometimes it's good to have a front office that doesn't leak like a freaking sieve.

Canes social media having to post a lot of 'Goodbye and Thank you's' today.

So this is kind of playing out like most UFA days for the Canes. We lose most of our top UFAs, make a couple depth moves and everyone basically declares the Canes as completely screwed. Then later in the afternoon we make some trade or signing that no one saw coming.

That said, you definitely don't want to be on any Canes public social media boards today, at least not at the moment.

And if you are piecing together a lineup as of right now:

Svech-Aho-Jarvis
Necas-Kuznetsov-Blake
Martinook-Staal-Fast (assuming he returns to health)

Robinson-Drury-KK

Slavin-Burns
Orlov-Chatfield
Morrow-Coghlan

Last edited:
Canes social media having to post a lot of 'Goodbye and Thank you's' today.

So this is kind of playing out like most UFA days for the Canes. We lose most of our top UFAs, make a couple depth moves and everyone basically declares the Canes as completely screwed. Then later in the afternoon we make some trade or signing that no one saw coming.

That said, you definitely don't want to be on any Canes public social media boards today, at least not at the moment.

And if you are piecing together a lineup as of right now:

Svech-Aho-Jarvis
Necas-Kuznetsov-Blake
Martinook-Staal-Fast (assuming he returns to health)

Robinson-Drury-KK

Slavin-Burns
Orlov-Chatfield
Morrow-Coghlan
Insert the the Waterboy Meme of Rob Schneider..."We Suck Again"...LOL

Not worthy of its own thread, but TSN reports the Canes have signed C Tyson Jost to a one-year, $775K deal.

Not worthy of its own thread, but TSN reports the Canes have signed C Tyson Jost to a one-year, $775K deal.
Split last season between the Slugs and AHL Slugs. He has 57 goals, 83 assists in 456 games for Colorado, Minnesota and Buffalo

Noesen to the Devils, 3 years, $2.75 million. If the analytical geniuses didn’t figure that was a good value, I don’t know what to say.
The question with Noesen is how is he going to produce as he slows down. He's 31 and was behind the play a LOT in the playoffs. They just chose to go a different direction. Meh.

Speaking of the 4th line ... I'm seeing Tyson Jost to Carolina. 1 year, $775,000. Like Carrier ... big motor forechecker who can kill penalties

If you put these contracts on the NHL roster:

Aho, Svech, KK, Kuzy, Martinook, Staal, Fast, Carrier, Robinson, Jost, Lemieux

Orlov, Slavin, Burns, Walker, Gostisbehere, Chatfield

Freddie, Kochetkov

That comes out to a cap hit of $73,375,000

That is $14.625 million under the cap with Jarvis, Necas and Drury unsigned. Eventually (maybe?) we will trade Necas. Jarvis is going to end up taking around $7.75 million of that cap hit. So we have like $7 million in room with Drury still to sign and Necas still to trade.

The cap room disappears fast. Had we signed Guentzel for $8 million I'm not quite sure how the blueline would have ended up shaking out, but it would have been quite a challenge. When you actually look at the numbers you can really see the problem. Skjei at $7 million instead of Walker? Turbo retained at $5.4 million? Just those 2 signings alone would have left not enough cap room for Jarvis, nevermind paying Necas or his replacement.

The Canes really are going to need some of these kids on entry level deals to grow quickly.

Last edited:
I'm going to circle back to Dylan Coghlan for a second and offer up a reason other than 'we like the player' as to why we might have qualfied him. He is arbitration eligible. If we resign Drury and trade Necas, having Coghlan get to arbitration opens up a potential additional buyout window for us.

Had we signed Guentzel for $8 million I'm not quite sure how the blueline would have ended up shaking out, but it would have been quite a challenge. When you actually look at the numbers you can really see the problem. Skjei at $7 million instead of Walker? Turbo retained at $5.4 million? Just those 2 signings alone would have left not enough cap room for Jarvis, nevermind paying Necas or his replacement.

The Canes really are going to need some of these kids on entry level deals to grow quickly.
Yeah. If they had re-signed Guentzel it would have made trading Necas before his contract is settled an absolute must ... and that would hurt their flexibility. And I think the budgetary need for at least a couple of kids next season is what drove the push to bulk up the bottom six with veterans. Guys like Jost and Carrier don't produce a ton of points, but they play Carolina's game and are used to high pressure systems. Even Robinson adds something to the bottom six options (specifically, speed), although I'm still not liking that one way deal. With Walker's contract public I can finally see the logic here.

Now, the next moves are mostly in the Canes' corner. Get Necas tied to an actual contract and get him moved for an NHL piece. Or keep him on at his arbitration award and figure it out later. He's going to get Top 6 minutes in this setup, just not at center. Jarvis has no leverage and they love the kid, so it's hard to imagine the team can't get him signed to some kind of deal. Drury? Sign him or move him. Jost gives you some flexibility at center. You're still counting on one of Kucherov, KK or Drury to center the second scoring line ... but you're not any worse off than before in that regard. And maybe a Necas trade fixes that.

I don't like that they haven't addressed the goaltending, but I understand that to some degree. Do I like this team? Not yet. But I'm starting to get it.

Back