• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Carolina Hurricanes 2024 Summer Talk ... press the reset button?

Maybe I'm a dreamer with this one and usually I would say the money and term is not worth the trouble considering how the Canes do business...but I still feel like Guentzel might be one you bite the bullet on and just get it done. Having a bonafide first line scoring winger on Aho's line for the next several years is not a bad thing when you consider the past challenges the Canes have had to score goals. The fit was good, he is not a defensive liability and has stayed mostly injury free, with the cap going up the next few years this one might be the one you make an exception for.

Maybe I'm a dreamer with this one and usually I would say the money and term is not worth the trouble considering how the Canes do business...but I still feel like Guentzel might be one you bite the bullet on and just get it done. Having a bonafide first line scoring winger on Aho's line for the next several years is not a bad thing when you consider the past challenges the Canes have had to score goals. The fit was good, he is not a defensive liability and has stayed mostly injury free, with the cap going up the next few years this one might be the one you make an exception for.
Well, they have apparently turned down trade offers for his rights, so they must still be talking. I could see it, as he IS a really good fit. I could also see it getting so expensive in the big picture that the Canes go another route.

I fully expected the Canes not to qualify him LAST time.
I suspect this time the Canes feel we have ample organizational depth now and that Ty Smith basically replaces Coghlan as our NHL/AHL tweener.

I will say this....if you look at our 'minor league' Dman depth chart (players signed for next season):

Ty Smith
Scott Morrow
Ronan Seely
Dom Fensore
Joel Nystrom
Charles-Alexis Legault
Anttoni Honka
Alexsi Heimosalmi

You don't necessarily know what any of those guys might develop into. Having Chicago filled again with OUR prospects is a better place to be then how things were managed last season. But other than Morrow, that is not an inspiring list of Dmen prospects/depth.

I suspect this time the Canes feel we have ample organizational depth now and that Ty Smith basically replaces Coghlan as our NHL/AHL tweener.

I will say this....if you look at our 'minor league' Dman depth chart (players signed for next season):

Ty Smith
Scott Morrow
Ronan Seely
Dom Fensore
Joel Nystrom
Charles-Alexis Legault
Anttoni Honka
Alexsi Heimosalmi

You don't necessarily know what any of those guys might develop into. Having Chicago filled again with OUR prospects is a better place to be then how things were managed last season. But other than Morrow, that is not an inspiring list of Dmen prospects/depth.
Not really, no. I do think there's hope for Nystrom and Heimosalmi but most of the rest seems to have gotten stuck on the "develop into a solid minor leaguer" step.

I'm just sick of the same 3 opponents ... and sometimes Washington and sometimes Columbus. I know they try to keep travel costs down, but good gracious can't you mix it up a little?

And I'm sorry-but didn't they decide a couple of years ago that 6 preseason games were too many?
The most recent CBA set the minimum at 6. There has been talk of winding that back to four, but that will have to wait until the next CBA window.
Personally, I decided a long time ago that one was my limit ... and I haven't bothered with that one since Svech was a rookie.

Apparently Elliott Friedman stated on Pat McAfee today that Jake Guentzel's ask for the Canes is believed to be 8 x $8 million AAV and the Canes have agreed to those terms.
What UFA will be available that is at least as good as Jake Guentzel that can be had at a cheaper price than 8x8? I say do this. Jake seems like a player that takes conditioning seriously, so he'll be only 37 when this deal is done.

Back