• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Carolina Hurricanes 2024 Summer Talk ... press the reset button?

It's been a while on that shoulder injury for Jarvis ... like 6 months and change. Unless he shredded that thing in the meantime, he's probably rehabbing this summer. Good luck with PT too. It can be tedious.

If they can get Nikishin here for NEXT season that would impact a lot of other business. He would slot right into the top 6 and money earmarked for Skjei or Pesce or their replacement could be allocated elsewhere while Nikishin is on his entry level deal.

Canes definitely need to know before the draft how that is going to play out, their approach to a whole lot of things is impacted by whether or not they can get Nikishin over here next season.

If they can get Nikishin here for NEXT season that would impact a lot of other business. He would slot right into the top 6 and money earmarked for Skjei or Pesce or their replacement could be allocated elsewhere while Nikishin is on his entry level deal.

Canes definitely need to know before the draft how that is going to play out, their approach to a whole lot of things is impacted by whether or not they can get Nikishin over here next season.
Enough people have reported that there is zero chance of that happening that I'm just calling it a dead letter. I mean, shoot your shot but he'd have to be willing to be smuggled out of the country or something.

Enough people have reported that there is zero chance of that happening that I'm just calling it a dead letter. I mean, shoot your shot but he'd have to be willing to be smuggled out of the country or something.
Supposedly, Matvei Michkov is in process of terminating his contract with SKA to sign with the Flyers. He played with Sochi on loan, so he might not have the same relationship that Nikishin, who is the team captain, has.

Maybe Donny engaging in a little gamesmanship with Brady and Brett on their asking price.

I watched the entire presser this morning and Andy is correct on a ton to unpack. Dandy Don is a good dude...he has some great dry humor with as much honesty within the scope of his job he can provide to the fans, he seems as genuine as Brindy in terms of the love for the org and the fans and does not spew a bunch of bullshit and tries to tell it like it is.

The Nikishin news sounds like if there is anything there at all in terms of good news it would be known before July 1.

Cory Lavalette dropping the "Marty Necas Dad was whining in the media about his usage" caught Don off guard but it was worth a watch for the humor. That storyline about Necas being so unhappy here seems to be the number one story some outside media want to run with this summer.

Freddy and Pyotr as a platoon tandem next year sounds like the plan unless something else comes along via trade this summer.

Jarvis playing hurt and still being a bulldog all season lit up the faces of Don and Rod!

Rod was adamant that all the outside noise from places like in here about the assistant coaches being stale was just "outside noise"...ignore the noise he instructed!!! :LOL:

Said he likes the fit here for Guentzel and the Canes and had hopes they could sit down and see if there was a fit.

Don admitted that the need for a right shot center man was still an issue, maybe any trade this summer would include finding that missing dynamic...not easy to find!

Supposedly, Matvei Michkov is in process of terminating his contract with SKA to sign with the Flyers. He played with Sochi on loan, so he might not have the same relationship that Nikishin, who is the team captain, has.

Maybe SKA have had a change of heart/position on these guys, because as of two weeks ago all the reporters who have been dialed in on Russian guys were all saying there was no chance that the KHL was going to let prominent players out of their contracts ... payment or no. Still, Carolina can figure this out before the draft and then get one with it, I guess. Obviously, you'd love to have a right sider you could pair with Slavin who isn't 400 years old. Excuse me, 40. And yeah, Boom is that good. Give him the Slavin security blanket and you could easily be looking at a Calder finalist.

Cory Lavalette dropping the "Marty Necas Dad was whining in the media about his usage" caught Don off guard but it was worth a watch for the humor. That storyline about Necas being so unhappy here seems to be the number one story some outside media want to run with this summer.
Honestly, I think his Dad is irrelevant since it's VERY likely Necas ain't coming back anyway.

Honestly, I think his Dad is irrelevant since it's VERY likely Necas ain't coming back anyway.
Necas probably is your #1 trade chip to go find what you really might need...whether that is a right shot center, or a different goaltender or even another top pair defenseman if you lose both Skjei and Pesce. I'm fine with that!

Necas probably is your #1 trade chip to go find what you really might need...whether that is a right shot center, or a different goaltender or even another top pair defenseman if you lose both Skjei and Pesce. I'm fine with that!
This. 100%

Lost in the Pesce/Skjei love-fest is the fact that Orlov is is making almost $8M and you can't roll that out as your 3rd pairing guy again. Pay Chatfield like a top 4 guy and you're 2nd pair is set sans Pesce/Skjei, then add in Morrow and someone who can stay back and cover the kid while he gets up to game speed.

Then you free up a lot of capital for a 2C, Guentzel, Jarvis, whatever you're looking for.

Lost in the Pesce/Skjei love-fest is the fact that Orlov is is making almost $8M and you can't roll that out as your 3rd pairing guy again. Pay Chatfield like a top 4 guy and you're 2nd pair is set sans Pesce/Skjei, then add in Morrow and someone who can stay back and cover the kid while he gets up to game speed.

Then you free up a lot of capital for a 2C, Guentzel, Jarvis, whatever you're looking for.
And look, if that LD ends up being Skjei then that's fine. So long as you don't commit to him past like a 5 year term. He's already 30 and you're probably only getting 2-3 years at the level he's at now. Problem being, there are 8-10 NHL franchises that think absolutely nothing of extending guys into their late 30s.

Jarvis said he played with a torn labrum and rotator cuff in his right shoulder that he suffered against Philly about 15 games into the season. He scored 24 of his 33 goals after that game. He said he doesn’t think it needs surgery but conceded that he’s “not a doctor”. Maybe not, but he’s a tough SOB.
Oof! I recall Jeff O’Neil trying to get his scoring back after his shoulder surgery. However, for Jarvis to develop that scoring touch post injury is impressive. Perhaps it’s because Jarvis took conditioning far more seriously than #92.

... Perhaps it’s because Jarvis took conditioning far more seriously than #92.
What are you talking about? Just because Jeffy liked to sit at the end of the bar, chain smoke cigs, and go to the bathroom a *lot* at a known cokehead bar doesn't mean that he wasn't into fitness. Other than that, he could probably fitness this whole rail up his nose in one go.

Note to Jeff's lawyers: I'm not saying that he partook in anything other than alcohol and cigarettes. I'm just saying that he had a thimble-sized bladder in a bar that joked about getting t-shirts made that had a snowmobile on it.

Another angle on this....my daughter and wife saw a post claiming that Necas' girlfriend was stating on Instagram that Necas broke his lease and she was packing up the apartment and heading back to Chechia and that they were not coming back to Raleigh.

I don't mind us trading Necas. Hopefully some other team sees that dynamic offensive skill and envisions those high end skills matching up with their talented offensive players and offers us a valuable return. The problem with trading Necas is that we don't really have anyone else with that speed and shot combination. Aho is fast, but not as fast as Necas. Aho is skilled as heck, but Necas is a better sniper in my opinion. When Necas is gone we will miss that level of dynamic offensive skill that can get you a goal on his own when you need it.

That said, when Necas is gone we won't miss those nervewracking circles out by the blueline that are a poke check away from a breakaway the other way.

Can we really get fair value for Necas? What is even is fair value for Necas? This is kind of the Elias Lindholm situation all over again...not only do you need to find a team that will return value in a trade, THAT team needs to be willing to pay Necas, without being 100% sure just what he might ultimately bring in terms of production.

Trade him away to the Western conference. Utah, Seattle, Calgary, Winnipeg?

Back