• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Carolina Hurricanes 2024 Summer Talk ... press the reset button?

FWIW, I could see Necas floated as part of a package in a deal for Marner if Toronto is serious about sacrificing that lamb.

Umm ... maybe, actually. Jarmo's clearly a terrible GM when he's got the final say but he wouldn't be asked to do that here. As a part of a collaborative group he could be fine. He was really good as a personnel guy in Ottawa and St Louis before he got on the GM hamster wheel.

You know how everybody thought Waddell was a joke based on his track record in Atlanta? That would be kind of the same thing. Donny WAS kind of joke as a lone shot caller, but was very good as an interface guy with a strong group making decisions.

I still keep hearing it's going to be Fletcher.
I keep hearing his name too, but I'm skeptical. With Waddell gone, none of the hockey media really has any inside scoop on the Canes decision making process. You know how the hockey media love to connect dots of their own choosing. I used to at least trust rumors from LeBrun, but that was because he had a line on Waddell. Right now, I don't think any of the big hockey media have a line on anything, so they're left listening to agents and/or filling in their own gaps. For all we know, Fletcher's name keeps coming up because his agent keeps throwing it out there. Or not. No way to know for sure, really.

Would Fletcher accept less money to be the 'GM' here?
Maybe. He's been out of work for a whole season and given how badly he handled contract situations in both Philly and Minnesota, it's doubtful that he'll get another proper GM job without doing some image rehab somewhere. So, if the choice is between being somebody's AGM and being a GM Lite here, I wouldn't think there would be a huge difference in compensation.

Honestly, for the smart executive looking for a leg up into a big market or a bit of an image re-set, this opening with the Hurricanes should be a heck of an opportunity ... so long as you don't let the old ego get in the way. You show up, work with a smart owner and a smart staff, do the interface work and make yourself look good in the process. It worked out great for Donny Waddell. He was stuck on junior exec wages in Detroit before he stumbled into a much better retirement plan.

Speaking of podcasts, Seravalli said on the Daily Faceoff pod that he wouldn’t be shocked to see Necas traded before game 1, Saturday at 8 pm.

Speaking of podcasts, Seravalli said on the Daily Faceoff pod that he wouldn’t be shocked to see Necas traded before game 1, Saturday at 8 pm.
Me either, really ... or at least sometime between now and the draft. With trades involving RFAs it's generally better to go ahead and get the deal done so you have some runway for contract negotiations. There's been next to no pushback on the idea that he's being traded since Waddell left town ... and his pushback was only of the mildest sort imaginable. The second somebody offers up whatever Carolina is asking, I think he's done here.

It would take a heck of a package
Sure ... but we're talking about floating an offer, not offering up the safe deposits for looting. Carolina is notorious for floating stuff whenever actual talent is available. Or sorta available.

I'm not quite sure I want Mitch Marner? Sure he's good, but he makes a crap ton of money and has that 'disappears in the playoffs' reputation. If he wants to get traded here and is willing to take an extension for $9 million per, then maybe. I don't want to be paying Marner $11 million to shy away from contact in the playoffs.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure I want Mitch Marner? Sure he's good, but he makes a crap ton of money is has that 'disappears in the playoffs' reputation. If he wants to get traded here and is willing to take an extension for $9 million per, then maybe. I don't want to be paying Marner $11 million to shy away from contact in the playoffs.
Oh, I get all that. I'm not stating a preference, it's just that Carolina have been on the edges of that kind of deal pretty regularly. So if Marner is in play, I'm sure they've been on the phone and that Necas would have been in the package. Not saying that's a good or realistic thing at all. I do historically value Marner more than most on this board though.

Back