• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Carolina Hurricanes 2024 Summer Talk ... press the reset button?

LeBrun is tight with Davidson AND Waddell, so if he's reporting it, then that ought to be a done deal provided the contract matches the promise.

Waiting for that first move the Canes make post-Donnie Waddell. Do all of our UFAs get to July 1st unsigned? Do we swing a big trade around draft time that moves out Necas and other pieces and moves in a top 6 forward or a top 4 Dman? Is a KK buyout a really going to happen (Elliott Friedman and I think so). Do we trade away a pending UFA early for a draft pick?

IF a KK buyout is happening, the buyout window starts the later of June 15th or 48 hours after the Cup is awarded.

Waiting for that first move the Canes make post-Donnie Waddell. Do all of our UFAs get to July 1st unsigned? Do we swing a big trade around draft time that moves out Necas and other pieces and moves in a top 6 forward or a top 4 Dman? Is a KK buyout a really going to happen (Elliott Friedman and I think so). Do we trade away a pending UFA early for a draft pick?

IF a KK buyout is happening, the buyout window starts the later of June 15th or 48 hours after the Cup is awarded.
Always been a fan of trying to get something for guys you know are walking to UFA...Pesce seems like the type that might have a team wanting to acquire his rights in a small trade to negotiate with him prior to July 1.

I sure hope a Necas trade is a solid hockey trade bringing back a solid NHL front line player...The Athletic is convinced any trade of Necas will not be for futures and picks but more about an equally established top player. Apparently several teams are already interested in gauging the asking price and interest is high.

I still feel like they would like to bring Skjei back and try like heck to get Guentzel to sign too. All the other UFA's I think are already bye bye in the Canes eyes.

The KK buyout makes good business sense, but is there a team out there interested in a trade if the Canes retain a bit of the cap hit and flip a player back the Canes way that may be of interest to them?

UFAs
Big Ticket Guys
I'm thinking Carolina is scouring the possible options for Top 4 defensemen to see what the actual market looks like before they completely bail on Pesce and Skjei. If I had to guess, they'll make a final offer to both fairly soon, and then they can make up their minds whether to go to market. If Skjei goes to market, he's gone. Some team will 100% offer him 7 years knowing full well that the last 3 or 4 will be a millstone. Pesce? Was he bad enough this season to knock off the shine? Hard to tell, but I suspect other teams won't be as far in front of the Canes valuation on him. I'm not even thinking about Guentzel really. They'll make an offer but it's probably about as likely that they trade his rights for a pick if they can get one in this draft.

Others
Chatfield doesn't seem too diifficult to get done. He's wildly under paid but that just means there's plenty of room to go up. Turbo? I dunno. He's still got value as a setup guy even if his focus seems to wax and wane. If he'll stick around for middle six money on a 3-4 year deal, I can see it happening. Or not. Noesen and Martinook ... make a run at a value deal but if not, then not. I love these guys but they can be replaced. DeAngelo? Let's hope we're done with that.

RFAs and Short Timers
Slavin is key. I think they'll want to lock him down or at least know where that's headed before they make a lot of other decisions on D. It's gonna be expensive, so it sets the table for Cap flow. Ditto Jarvis. They obviously would like to long term the kid, but it's going to come down to the valuation. Remember, the Canes haven't actually been that cheap when it comes to core guys. Slavin and Jarvis are core guys.

Drury and Necas are going to be tricky for different reasons. I'm expecting Necas to be moved at or around the draft, since that's prime shakeup time. Drury might take a bit longer. They'd like to bring him back but need to make sure he's a bottom six guy in terms of role and cost. Not sure he sees himself that way. He's almost certain to file for arbitration, which won't help.

Buyouts
Kotkaniemi, Andersen and maybe Kuznetsov are candidates. Freddie, only if they make a move for a starter which I think they'll at least explore. KK, if the math works, and it does, then it's going to be about role and roster construction. I don't think he's gonna end up getting another shot at the 2C. He could be traded, we'll see. Kuznetsov will come down to role. I also don't think he's going to get another shot at 2C. THAT's the real mystery of the summer in my book. Get better down the middle and everything else is easier to figure out. Don't and there's a lot of creative roster building required. IMO forget right siders and left siders ... get the right guy and it won't matter.

My guess ... we end up moving Necas for either a 2C or a goalie. It will probably be part of a package, but I think that's the big play and it will need to happen before free agency. Sign and trade, or not ... who really cares? I'm also guessing that Slavin and Jarvis will get locked up. Slavin on a career ending deal, Jarvis on a bridge. Otherwise, the Necas thing sets up the pins for whatever comes next.

IF HE CAN STAY HEALTHY, this coming season will be a final opportunity for Suzuki to show the Canes something. He should see plenty of top 6 opportunity with some pretty skilled kids around him in the Chicago lineup.

Seeing several teams claiming Necas could be the fix they need (CBJ, Phil, Pitt, Bos, MTL, NYI, freaking Utah,etc.). A sign and trade could be a lucrative deal for the Hurricanes, providing the buyer has what Carolina wants/ needs. If the desperation level is high enough, Carolina could really pull some nice pieces out of this. We'll get to see how well Eric Tulsty is at his craft & see how much GMDW rubbed off on him.

Jim

Yeah, well at least half of that chatter, even the stuff from actual writers and not just fans, seems to assume that Necas is a center. So ... yeah. I can't count how many times I've seen some variation on "it's not often a quality young 2C hits the market" ... and, no.

I do think Carolina can clear a middle 6 forward, a 2nd pair D, or maybe a decent goalie from the right team. Obviously, they won't be looking for picks other than as a make-weight.

Back