• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Carolina Hurricanes 2024 Summer Talk ... press the reset button?

Apparently the team and Necas' people have been negotiating for a bit and there's a chance this gets resolved before the hearing. As you guys know, most of Carolina's arbitration cases have been resolved ahead of the hearing.

That will surprise the Montreal "fan news" accounts that were reporting a Necas trade to the Canadiens as a done deal late last week. I'm not even sure what to call those people, honestly. Almost every NHL market has them at this point ... just civilians who decide to start reporting on an NHL team who set up plausible sounding social media accounts and then start crop dusting the internet with dubiously sourced news sprinkled liberally with utter fabrication. It's more closely aligned with fan fiction than anything else I guess, and is a direct result of the lingering death of the newspaper industry.

Apparently the team and Necas' people have been negotiating for a bit and there's a chance this gets resolved before the hearing. As you guys know, most of Carolina's arbitration cases have been resolved ahead of the hearing.

That will surprise the Montreal "fan news" accounts that were reporting a Necas trade to the Canadiens as a done deal late last week. I'm not even sure what to call those people, honestly. Almost every NHL market has them at this point ... just civilians who decide to start reporting on an NHL team who set up plausible sounding social media accounts and then start crop dusting the internet with dubiously sourced news sprinkled liberally with utter fabrication. It's more closely aligned with fan fiction than anything else I guess, and is a direct result of the lingering death of the newspaper industry.
That’s up there with the mind-numbingly stupid “articles” that pop up in all kinds of social media and news feeds about “proposed” trades, which are nothing more than some dude using his Internet outside voice to project his wants, which have no factual basis whatever.

Yeah, that's been a thing since the internet hit a popularity/availability tipping point. What's new is the proliferation of private individuals pretending to be professionals, and pretending to have inside access and info. Until fairly recently most of those people trafficked online under their own name or an individual moniker. Now, I'm seeing crap like Insert Franchise Here Insider/News/Talk/Whatever. There's a few that jack official logos, but the league and teams tend to frown on that so it's usually a stylized graphic of some sort.

Complicating things is the earnest fan activities, like Polar and them's podcast and online presence. A lot of these fakers straddle that line, setting themselves up as an insider/reporter but providing enough fan-driven content to make that a plausible excuse for why there's so much BS from their accounts being passed off as news. Back when there were a lot of robust professional news outlets, there was less of an information void to fill, and thus less room for these clowns to muddy up the waters. What anybody gains from flooding the internet with bogus hockey news, I have no idea. Attention, I guess? In which case, get a puppy or something. Either way, they've made it very difficult to follow your NHL team closely.

I’d really like to see the Canes get Laine now. Try to move KK and a pick. Who knows? They can’t rely too much on Nadeau/Blake to make up for the loss of TT & Noesen. They still have that hole.

I don't see why people want Laine, what does he do for the Canes? He had 70 points once, 50 points 3 times, and in the last 2 years combined has 33 points, he also hasn't had a positive +- in 4 years; and you can have all of that for 2 more years at a mere $8.7M (unless you get them to keep 50% and another team to keep their 50% I wouldn't even think about it, and even then I don't like it)

I don't see why people want Laine, what does he do for the Canes? He had 70 points once, 50 points 3 times, and in the last 2 years combined has 33 points, he also hasn't had a positive +- in 4 years; and you can have all of that for 2 more years at a mere $8.7M (unless you get them to keep 50% and another team to keep their 50% I wouldn't even think about it, and even then I don't like it)
But 2 of those 50 point seasons he was a point per game player. One was the 56 game Covid season, but the next year, he was injured and played 55 games and had 52 points. And that 56 game season was the only time since 2018-19 that he played a full season.

It’s one thing to be defensively unreliable, but how many times was he benched for lack of effort? Is a reunion with his old national team linemate supposed to show him the path forward? Not interested.

Given that we were very willing to run Jeff Skinner and his style of play out of town, I would put the chances of our front office/Brind'Amour wanting to bring in Patrick Laine at less than zero. He is exactly the kind of one dimensional floater that this organization under Dundon/Tulsky/Brindy would want nothing to do with.

I think I said this before, but unless Laine could be added with a contract that could be fully buried in the minors (which he doesn't have), I don't think there is any chance the Canes would want him. The only way we would even consider seeing if Aho could somehow spark something in Laine would be for $1 million or less so that when Brind'Amour get's sick of him we can ship Laine off to Chicago or Liiga and never see him again.

Last edited:
But 2 of those 50 point seasons he was a point per game player. One was the 56 game Covid season, but the next year, he was injured and played 55 games and had 52 points. And that 56 game season was the only time since 2018-19 that he played a full season.

It’s one thing to be defensively unreliable, but how many times was he benched for lack of effort? Is a reunion with his old national team linemate supposed to show him the path forward? Not interested.
but that's 4 years removed. You're right about the effort, but unless we're paying 25% it's not worth the risk imho.

Laine is an enigma and this franchise has shown that they've got a soft spot for enigmatic guys ... so long as they can score goals. And he can. Personally, I'd rather not mess with him and I suspect with where they are budget-wise, it's a non-issue at this point.

Unless, of course, Dundon wants to dip into his own pocket.
I mean, I honestly think that shouldn't be our expectation going in. He already partially funds the cost of operating the franchise year to year. This stuff is all an effort to make that annual contribution less. As a fan, I just hope all this stuff (renovations, new services, increased parking fees, revenues from development) ends up making it where the team is cash positive or at least cash neutral. If for no other other reason than that would take the pressure off the pricing for my dinky ticket package

Back