• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

All the talk is about Marner which is fair because you should theoretically get a fuck ton for him in any deal. But freeing yourself or Tavares should be priority #1. And it's not particularly close. You have to get out of that contract and that money has to go to one of the solid UFA d. That has to be the base case.
Yeah Marner is still an $11 m player. Tavares, not really close

It should look worse, it's 35 million under the cap

If it looked like this instead:

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Crouse
Robertson-Lindholm-Nylander
Knies-Byfield-McMann
XXXXX-Holmberg-XXXXX

Skjei-Roy/Walker
Rielly-McCabe
Benoit-Lilly

Saros/Ullmark (Give up a 1st if you have to)
Woll

I'd argue it looks better and deeper than what we ran out there last year by a fair bit, especially the blueline and that's still ~3 million under. Shit you might be able to upgrade Bertuzzi into Guentzel there.
Gimme some of your stuff please

For some reason, I thought Vancouver had extended Lindholm when they got him.

If he ends up going UFA, I'd get very excited about him.

Lindholm, Debrusk and a couple of dmen. Let Bertuzzi walk, same for Domi if he doesn't want to return for cheap.

Dump Sammy, Kampf, Yarn, Reaves, and let all the expiring D walk other than Lilly. Sign a cheapish vet goalie.

For some reason, I thought Vancouver had extended Lindholm when they got him.

If he ends up going UFA, I'd get very excited about him.

Lindholm, Debrusk and a couple of dmen. Let Bertuzzi walk, same for Domi if he doesn't want to return for cheap.

Dump Sammy, Kampf, Yarn, Reaves, and let all the expiring D walk other than Lilly. Sign a cheapish vet goalie.
Sir, there's a salary cap

Sir, there's a salary cap
Yeah, if adding kids to fill up spots, while losing Brodie $5M, Bertuzzi $5.5M, Domi $3M, Sammy $3.5M, Kampf $2.4M, Jarn $2.1M, Reaves $1.35M, Gio/Eddy, Baboon $2.3M, that's around $25M. Reinvesting around $6M into Matty and Willy raises.

Depends how pricey those UFAs get, but they're not elite adds or anything that will get into the $8M or $9M levels.

Yeah, if adding kids to fill up spots, while losing Brodie $5M, Bertuzzi $5.5M, Domi $3M, Sammy $3.5M, Kampf $2.4M, Jarn $2.1M, Reaves $1.35M, Gio/Eddy, Baboon $2.3M, that's around $25M. Reinvesting around $6M into Matty and Willy raises.

Depends how pricey those UFAs get, but they're not elite adds or anything that will get into the $8M or $9M levels.
Lindholm has upped his price. Debrusk won't be too cheap either and it depends on the d you like. The good ones will get some massive deals. But I guess you want to go league min on the goalie so that would help.

Lindholm has upped his price. Debrusk won't be too cheap either and it depends on the d you like. The good ones will get some massive deals. But I guess you want to go league min on the goalie so that would help.
I prefer to roll with a cheapish vet, dunno about league minimum. But if Woll hasn't fully established himself and stayed mostly healthy by the deadline, I'd shop for a good goalie as the big add.

I think there's lots of good D going free, and that it shouldn't be tough to grab a couple of them without breaking the bank.

I've always liked Debrusk's game from afar, and I don't think he has the track record to land some huge deal. I think Bertuzzi's money over term would suit him just fine. Don't think he can even command that with just a 40 point season this year.

I don't know where Lindholm's price lands. He looked like a bust after the trade, but is having a good playoffs so far.

I prefer to roll with a cheapish vet, dunno about league minimum. But if Woll hasn't fully established himself and stayed mostly healthy by the deadline, I'd shop for a good goalie as the big add.

I think there's lots of good D going free, and that it shouldn't be tough to grab a couple of them without breaking the bank.

I've always liked Debrusk's game from afar, and I don't think he has the track record to land some huge deal. I think Bertuzzi's money over term would suit him just fine. Don't think he can even command that with just a 40 point season this year.

I don't know where Lindholm's price lands. He looked like a bust after the trade, but is having a good playoffs so far.
How many good goalies are moved at the deadline, really?

You need to address it in the offseason with a Saros like goalie to pair with Woll

And in the background of all this, we have to make sure to be flexible enough to be able to throw everything at McDavid.

Core4 4ever.

How many good goalies are moved at the deadline, really?

You need to address it in the offseason with a Saros like goalie to pair with Woll
There are years where a bunch of good goalies get moved at the deadline.

Don't know if there's any good goalie on an expiring contract next year, and on a bad team, who'd be good to target.

I think you move Tavares. That’s the shakeup to the core. Out with the robot leader. I’d keep Marner. Look to Chicago and San Jose? San Jose had interest years ago. Has lots of cap space. And might be looking for a professional top 6 center to help Celebrini acclimate to being a #1 pick. Leadership blah blah. Chicago for similar reasons.

Marner isn’t even in the top 5 of leafs I’d move:

Tavares
Kampf
Jarnkrok
Reaves

Should all be moved.

If we want a shakeup I’d look to move Reilly. He’s good, but maybe he’s the guy to change the look of the team.

then I’d look at Marner. And even then I think we probably lose any trade. And with Tree in charge I’d say it’s likely we REALLY lose.

Back